Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with another on the way, something bigger was a must. With hopes the other half can live with one and when we're all together, I just need something with some fun factor. As far as 7 seaters go, I actually like these to look at.

I went to look at a Gsi on Saturday with 49k on the clock, full mot, good condition timing belt done recently etc. After a 4 hour drive on Saturday, it turned out that it only had 10 days mot left and there was no receipt for the belt. Disappointing so offered him 1k less than his asking price which was a little high anyway, take it or leave it. He left it...

So me and my mate sat in the car at 8pm looking for something on the way home! Found a Vxr which was worth a look at. Higher mileage but a recently rebuilt turbo, timing belt done with an actual receipt, wheels recently refurbished, clutch and brakes all just been done. I bought it! I ended up getting it cheaper than what I was prepared to give for the Gsi.

So really, anything major to look out for on these? I know it's late now but still is there much I should be prepared for apart from the higher tax band?

·
Premium Member
11,651 Posts
Heads (valve stems) need a rebuild when you hit over 100k, not often you don't see one that doesn't need doing.

TBH most of the big jobs have been done so sit back and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
My daughter has one it burns oil like it's going out of fashion, problems with abs, heater recall. However it does go a bit just think she bought a dog of one full service history and all that but has had nothing but problems from day one. Not saying they are all like it but her experience has been a nightmare from the day she picked it up. Like I said they can't all be like that.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If these have the M32 Gearbox they are very common to going. If the gearstick moves back more than a few mm when you pull away that will be the bearings, best to get hubs and bearings changed usually around £600

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
As said F32 gearbox moving in 5th gear when accelerating, and check recall for heater resistor pack been done as the ones fitted are cheap Chinese versions that draw too much current and certain models have caught fire. It's been all over watchdog so you could google it.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
5th gear seems absolutely fine. An engine management light has appeared though but there is a cone filter fitted. I remember my brother did the same on his old Astra Vxr and he had a management light he couldn't shift. I might do one or things to it like a subtle map and have it sorted. I've only had it a day but as for first impressions, it's a lovely drive, sounds nice, goes well for the size of it and doesn't look to bad for a bus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts