Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud owner of a slightly used set of ex Lotus Exige racer slicks.
I got them from Co-ordsport. I now Mark Jay uses them and was wondering:

How long to warm them up?
How long should they last, are the little dimples wear indicators?
Should I worry about the tiny cracks in the side walls or is this normal on a 'used tyre'?

Cheers

Kevin H

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Set of slick tyres for Cadwell, I said .......

Noooooooooooooooo !!!! That's cheating !!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hunty what did you pay for said slicks? I mailed Coordsport for track day wheels? I thought of Comp MO - 18 |PLS| tyres. Coord said cost was for part worn slicks at £45 |PLS| VT - what?

Ouch!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry

I bought 8 tyres, as my mate wanted a set. I paid £40|PLS|vat.

At Cadwell I had a set of new Yokohama A006 which were £127|PLS|vat each and managed to trash the nearside front in half a day! Double Ouch!http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

These second hand tyres are much harder, designed to do a 60 lap race? The new tyres I bought were a tarmac rally tyre and were too soft.

They are hardly used and my only main concern is the small cracks in the side wall, almost like the rubber is perished.

If I get 3 or 4 track days out of them it will be money well spent.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way,

The Yoko's are in 17in size.

If you are going down the 18in route for spare wheels speak to Kevin A who was using some intermidiate road legal Dunlops at Combe. They seemed to last out well.

Or use 18's for the road and your original 17's set for the track as I do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fancy the 18 but for track use - although I know where there are some very good condition EVO V wheels for sale. Any advice as to what I should pay for them? If I paid more tha £100 per wheel I think I'll go the Compomotive route!

Already looking at getting the slicks too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hunty,

Not sure if you have already had your questions answered elsewhere but from running karts I can comment as follows :-

How long to warm up? - You actually feel the grip increase for the first few minutes but be carefull on cold slicks - you'd be surprised how little grip these give http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > . You'll find that by time you're up to speed on the track (2-3 laps) the tyres will be nicely up to temperature.

Dimples? - Yes these are a type of wear indicator although the tyres start sliding drastically before these have vanished.

How long do they last? - Same as road tyres really as it depends on the compound and your driving. I can shred a set of grippy kart tyres very quickly if I carry too much corner speed [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Ref the cracks - I've only noticed these on very old used slicks - When I tried them on the kart they gave no grip as the compound had gone off!! I'm sure your tyres won't be like this as these tyres were about 2 years old.

Are you coming to Croft in a weeks time?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Mark

Yes I re-booked Croft, never been there before so it will be a learning day!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hunty

Back to the subject of rims. I priced both 17 and 18 Comp MO's today and I found Coordsport to be the cheapest by a long way, plus they will supply the part worn slicks as mentioned. The slicks come in only 17 though. However, if I did go the 18 route clearly you have no problems with geometry on the change from 17 ?

The reason I ask was that maybe the 18 would upset the car after being set up for 17 wheels. Obviously/hopefully the diameter should be about the same and do the larger rims fit OK under the wheel arch OK (my car is slightly lowered using HKS springs)?

These questions and statements all be obvious to the guys who have gone down this route, but I want to get it right!

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts