Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I tell you about driving the car, I should tell you about the car itself.

It's a yellow Evo IX GSR, with the Xtreme Stage 1 kit. This means an APS exhaust and induction kit and a slight boost upgrade.

It also had the performance friction disks, and brake master cylinder bracing kit etc.

So then the drive.....

Refinement, is the first thing you notice. The engine is so much smoother. Apart from that the car seems like an Evo VIII with a stage 1, i.e. pretty bloody quick. I am sure the IX produces a bit more power for the mods than the VIII but to be honest you would need to drive them back to back to tell....

Right up, that is, until you get to the last part of the rev counter. The power doesn't fall off anymore! It just keeps pulling harder and harder all the way to the redline.

Also I think they have tweaked the 6-speed box as 2-3rd seems much better on this car then 8's I have driven. Perhaps it's just a lucky gearbox though....

Looks-wise I love it....the back looks awesome.... you can decide for yourself though.

http://www.scammell.com/gallery/images/B8B074A9-D723-CD7F-F2D63E0B6CDCA252.jpg

http://www.scammell.com/gallery/images/B8B07E3E-0924-9B38-F92EEF749305F3DA.jpg

http://www.scammell.com/gallery/images/B8B0886F-F9F7-CEA4-1EB2C481A99D4F7E.jpg

http://www.scammell.com/gallery/images/B8B09205-0C64-2488-AF2C3610695C9FF5.jpg

http://www.scammell.com/gallery/images/B8B09ACF-D13C-A3FD-EE8D1DCF3FCFA24A.jpg

Interior felt good, well as good as an Evo is likely to.... it's still no BMW! Doors feel terribly light now. I am not keen on the seat material as the half leather thing just looks a bit wrong in an Evo in my opinion, although they felt great to sit in with my narrow-ish butt....but they wouldn't if you had a wide butt.

Full boost is about 3400, and off boost performance is helped by the Mivec, but isn't really anything to get too excited about. Although it is also significantly smoother than previous engines.

Brakes felt awesome, but they are different disks, pads, brakelines and a master cylinder stiffening kit....so they should do!

Handling wise, the slightly lower rear ride height has, I expect, helped high speed stability. But as Jon warned be about his company insurance excess I didn't stretch the handling envelope *too* much! ( ;) Jon). Suffice to say, it's an Evo and it felt awesome!

All in all a good step forward, but would imagine the looks are what will tempt most VIII drivers to upgrade as a modded VIII is going to be just as quick as modded IX in the real world....but there is no question the IX is an evolution and a better, faster car....

Thanks to JonK @ Xtreme (www.xtreme-uk.net) for letting me drive the car, I will return the favour as soon as my GT is here so you can see the difference between the cars.

Cheers,

Ben

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
That back end looks good :coolsm: No Heidi Klum but up there with Jennifer Aniston :D

Did they say anything about modding the MIVEC further Ben????

Matt
:)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well I have read a few reports from various people on here who have driven the new 9 GSR and I get the feeling that nothing has really changed (driving wise) from the MR.
The step from a VIII to a MR was noticeable, but the step from a MR to a IX not so...let's hope the GT is something special.

Nice pics Ben :)

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Danny B said:
Well I have read a few reports from various people on here who have driven the new 9 GSR and I get the feeling that nothing has really changed (driving wise) from the MR.
The step from a VIII to a MR was noticeable, but the step from a MR to a IX not so...let's hope the GT is something special.

Nice pics Ben :)
It's definately got more go in the last 1500rpm..... and it's probably got more go from 1000-3400 (but not much, and who uses that bit anyway!).

I am sure the GT will be even better, as it's lighter, has a better turbo, better gearbox (in my opinion), has less drivetrain losses....so it ought go a bit better.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leonard said:
That back end looks good :coolsm: No Heidi Klum but up there with Jennifer Aniston :D

Did they say anything about modding the MIVEC further Ben????

Matt
:)
Nothing yet, but people are going to be playing soon.... Mark Shead is "autronicing" my car and he and I are going to have a good play with the Mivec and see what's possible.

Ben

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Ben_Scammell said:
Nothing yet, but people are going to be playing soon.... Mark Shead is "autronicing" my car and he and I are going to have a good play with the Mivec and see what's possible.

Ben
Cool look fwd to seeing the results :)

When are you up at Donni in the Caterham next anyway Ben :confused:

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Ben_Scammell said:
http://www.caterhamracing.com/championships/roadsports/index.htm

That's our calendar, and we normally test a bit before each one.

Are you at any of the Jap shows in the next little while, and we can meet up and have a chat.

Ben
September! Blimey :eek:

May be at Japfest though not a definate, quite fancy the GT Battle though, so may see you at one of them.

:fftopic: Talking of new cars have you been in the new Caterham yet????

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leonard said:
September! Blimey :eek:

May be at Japfest though not a definate, quite fancy the GT Battle though, so may see you at one of them.

:fftopic: Talking of new cars have you been in the new Caterham yet????
Yep, I have driven one and have the Cosworth engine for one sitting at home for when we upgrade and go CSR racing next year....

They are savage.....simple as that. 5 odd secs quick round donnington with virtually no setup time than pole in the R400 race.....scary, oh yes!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Maybe the look of the rear end will grow on me but it looks in the pics like there's just a big hole below the number plate.

Apart from that, yes it does look good (apart from the wheels :) )

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
R-Jay said:
Maybe the look of the rear end will grow on me but it looks in the pics like there's just a big hole below the number plate.

Yeah, the wheels are not my cup of tea either....I am putting Compomotive MO's on mine I think....need 18" to get over the AP's.

The rear does look good in the flesh, the pics don't do it justice.

Ben

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Ben_Scammell said:

They are savage.....simple as that. 5 odd secs quick round donnington with virtually no setup time than pole in the R400 race.....scary, oh yes!
Blimey that is QUICK!!!!! :eek:

:coolsm:

·
Premium Member
Jesus built my car
38,797 Posts
R-Jay said:

Agreed. The rear end is better but other than that it is an VIII with holes in the bumper. I doubt the looks will make people move over and I bet it is only a few months before you can buy IX body kits.

Or maybe I'm just jealous cos I can't afford one?

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aidy said:
Agreed. The rear end is better but other than that it is an VIII with holes in the bumper. I doubt the looks will make people move over and I bet it is only a few months before you can buy IX body kits.

Or maybe I'm just jealous cos I can't afford one?
Bearing in mind the only external changes are bumpers, I expect the bodykits will follow shortly.

Now just imagine how much grief a VIII owner with IX bumpers will get on here! ;) :D

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Ben_Scammell said:
Bearing in mind the only external changes are bumpers, I expect the bodykits will follow shortly.

Now just imagine how much grief a VIII owner with IX bumpers will get on here! ;) :D
You have been able to get the Gialla kit for ages for the VII and VIII. Sure Mitsi nicked the idea for the front bumper from them.

The Gialla one looks a lot more aggressive and cooler though :coolsm:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ben,

Are any GT's coming into the UK 'officially' or are Mitsi just sticking with the GSR? I guess Xtreme would be a good gauge on this.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
T Makinnen said:
Ben,

Are any GT's coming into the UK 'officially' or are Mitsi just sticking with the GSR? I guess Xtreme would be a good gauge on this.
At present neither CCC or Xtreme aer bringing in the GT.

I guess Xtreme may well change their mind, but CCC have confirmed they will not be selling the GT.

Ben

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
I think perhaps that most of the GT unit allocation has been used up so it may be hard for Extreme to get any more GT units.

Mark

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
[QUOTE]I think perhaps that most of the GT unit allocation has been used up so it may be hard for Extreme to get any more GT units.[/QUOTE]

Lets hope so .................. we don't want just any tom dick getting one do we !! :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts