Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

Taking into account the positive and negative feedback we have received over the past few weeks regarding the move to write only access for MLR members, we are considering implementing a facility to allow guests to login alongside the original change proposal.

This will allow potential and new owners to ask questions throughout the Forum about the cars, as well as finding out about what the MLR can offer as a club. The process for guest registration is something we are still considering and will communicate it as soon as we have a satisfactory solution, but until this is implemented write access will remain open to everyone.

Other facilities we are also considering including are;
a scheme for traders and a specific area on the board for them to post information, deals and offers on products - which we hope will answer the many concerns raised over 'trader postings'.
the possibility of a MLR chat room facility. This will be considered and evaluated further once the changes to the forum become active.
an upgrade of the Forum using (possibly) vBulletin or another suitable package, and eventually a refresh of the whole site.

We're still confident that restricting write access to MLR members and traders who support the MLR is the best way forward, to improve the quality of postings and therefore the Board in general, to minimise legal exposure to the MLR and to link cost of hosting to the number of members . . . but watch this space and hopefully everyone will be happy!

Regards,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Darin,

As a relatively new member I have to say that it looks like the MLR is taking the right decision - room for guests to post questions and topics of interest if they're interested in buying an EVO for example.... whilst still restricting the posting numbers to prevent the board turning into the shambles that Scoobynet has become.

Keep up the amazing job.

Pete

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a non MLR member and Scoobynet member I think it would be a grave mistake to restrict non-members posting.

Personally I don't own an Evo yet but may well do so as my next motor (unless Subaru bring something better out to replace my P1) and am therefore v interested to read many of the posts on here.

As for Scoobynet being a shambles I would completely disagree. Scoobynet is a great success which explains why it is frequented by so many non scooby owners and has over 10000 members. Sure it has lots of light hearted banter and muppetism but thats all part of the fun and is as important as the info on meets and technical bits and pieces.

I realise that whoever runs this forum probably puts in a huge amount of time for very little personal reward but they are providing a very valuable and (at the moment) public service.

Keep up the good work.

Cheesy message over and out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep up the good work. We do need to ensure that we retain the high standard of posting that we have and are able to control both costs and legal exposure.

While not suggesting that Scoobynet is a shambles, it has a very different feel to this forum, due to there being so many members. It does not tend to be so technical or supportive. My bro, who has a Scooby, posts his problems, but I get a better response to his problems from U lot on this forum!!:)

Does this make ours better? No, just different, which is why taking a different approach to Scoobynet is OK.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
very true. I use scoobynet quite a bit but it is indeed much less helpful and technical. Its more of a chatting place, but hey thats what brings in the traffic!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OUTSTANDING decision Darin.

I still think that Forum only, Mag only subscriptions could be an enhancement.

Cheers
Lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Darin

Glad to hear your views on the way forward for the MLR. It sounds like there are to be a number of changes over the coming months, and they all seem positive to me, cant wait. Keep up all your good work Darin, it does NOT go un-noticed believe me, well done.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still don't understand why you want to restrict this forum to paid up members only? Thats O.K. if you want to keep it Lancer owners and fans in the U.K. only. I think that is being narrow minded. I live in Australia where road going EVOs are very rare, but greatly respected.I have been very lucky to find a 96 EVO III in top condition which I take delivery of next week.It was this forum that helped me make the decision to buy that particular car. I get a lot of enjoyment participating on this and other like forums. I spend a couple of hours almost every night visiting these sites. I for one will be very disappointed if you restict postings to members only. There are very few threads of crap here, compared to a lot of other forums

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whatever happens, I'll still subscribe. As I've said before, it's worth it for the mag!

Carry on with the good work chaps!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Darin - well done

A great announcement. If DOM or yourself want to know more about VBulletin or the Chatroom before doing anything let me know.

Don't know whether the chatroom is required but if you want to look at the one that comes with my server - XPower Chatroom

This is the same server that I recco'd to Blade - very cheap - also has secure shopping facilities |PLS| lots more. The server was recco'd by the guy who installed vBulletin. As you probably know this can be tailored to suit your needs.

Jerry

PS. Send me an e-mail if you want to know more to [email protected] (currently away for 12 days, so may not answer immediately).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts