Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a ride in an Evo rally car and the air intake system is very different.
It uses the little hood (bonnet) intake, which feeds the air into a box .
The battery is re-located to the trunk.
Does anyone know if this is a better way to have a cold air intake ?

How does this compare to the HKS racing induction kit ?

Thanks

- ron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ron

the WRC cars use the NACA duct as you've already stated. The whole airbox is made from carbon and is huge. It has several advantages. With the NACA ducting it should give positive pressure in the airbox (on bikes it's called ram air ), then because of its seize and material it prevents the air from heat soak and also calms to air. And which is in my eyes at least as important as cold air it has a straight tube made from alloy from the airbox to the turbo. So you prevent losses which occur with the standard bend in the hose.

This is far superior compared to a standard HKS suction kit. Here you would at least need an additional cold airbox. But then you don't generate positive pressure. I think Tony (Blade) will fit a group A airbox.

Check out this page: http://www.rallytech.co.uk/airboxes.htm

I'm thinking about buying this box as it's the most efficient air intake for the EVO in my opinion

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scoobymike,

I have been looking into induction options and I agree with you that the group A airbox is the best option.I have however been talking to Spec R about having a Airbox custom made we are looking at the various options.The size of the box is very important as you rightly said the air needs positive pressure but must also be calm otherwise you create a vortex.The Spec R even custom made would be cheaper than the Rallairt Version I will keep you posted on developments.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tommi

I totally agree with you. Please keep me uptodate about your process in developing your airbox. I'm very interested in it.

Great news and thanks:)

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, Scoobymike.

I had to chance to look at several Evo rally cars this weekend and the factory Mitsu car had the WRC intake, which seems very efficient.
It is a bit late for me as i just had the HKS induction kit installed but i would look at the WRC intake next year.

Thanks

- ron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scooby mike,does the carbon air box from rallytech require moving the battery as the works one does and any idea of price.

Regards Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to the TAD guys and the rally driver and they said that the battery and fusebox have to be moved to the rear of the car.
Also, the WRC intake doesnt use the mass air sensor and so the ECU must be changed as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I'm saying, you need to change the way the air intake is measured and ECU. The airbox needs the battery relocated. Most Rallytech prices are on www.myevo.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts