Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm pleading, does anybody have an HONEST evo 4 gearbox? We can't go through the bullsh*t over and over because people think it's ok to sell known broken parts. I've had countless high performance nissans, toyotas, hondas etc. and never once had issues like this evo is giving us, and never have I had problems where sellers knowingly pass on screwed parts.

PLease only offer your gearbox if its come from a car that's not been ragged to ****, and is being stripped for an honest reason other than gearbox failure! One thats been tested as working before it came of car - thanks :)

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm pleading, does anybody have an HONEST evo 4 gearbox? We can't go through the bullsh*t over and over because people think it's ok to sell known broken parts. I've had countless high performance nissans, toyotas, hondas etc. and never once had issues like this evo is giving us, and never have I had problems where sellers knowingly pass on screwed parts.

PLease only offer your gearbox if its come from a car that's not been ragged to ****, and is being stripped for an honest reason other than gearbox failure! One thats been tested as working before it came of car - thanks :)
1 tip I was given when looking a while back is getting a box off a 4 means its less likely to have run high power due to the limits of the 4 engine

Whats up with yours, have you considered speaking to CliveW off here about getting yours fixed? May cost more than a cheap box, but at least you will know its right

Stu

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks bud, yeah thats the first thing we thought about, but once the box was taken apart it had essentially grenanded everything inside - so the cost of rebuilding was going to more than double the cost of a second hand box.. unfortunately now, with the garage bill effectively we would have been as well off doing that :( the beauty of hindsight. Going to call Mitsubishi tomorrow morning to see the cost of a new box if they are still in production.

The cause was the driveshaft seal wearing out literally within 2 days of the box blowing up and letting all the oil out - the car was checked on the ramps like 3 days before and no sign of leakage.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Thanks bud, yeah thats the first thing we thought about, but once the box was taken apart it had essentially grenanded everything inside - so the cost of rebuilding was going to more than double the cost of a second hand box.. unfortunately now, with the garage bill effectively we would have been as well off doing that :( the beauty of hindsight. Going to call Mitsubishi tomorrow morning to see the cost of a new box if they are still in production.

The cause was the driveshaft seal wearing out literally within 2 days of the box blowing up and letting all the oil out - the car was checked on the ramps like 3 days before and no sign of leakage.
second hand transmission (and engine) is always going to be buyers gamble. Buy off a trader will cost more but at least you should have some comeback. Get CliveW to rebuild, you at least will know its right. :mitsi: price on a box will be a non starter

Stu

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
second hand transmission (and engine) is always going to be buyers gamble. Buy off a trader will cost more but at least you should have some comeback. Get CliveW to rebuild, you at least will know its right. :mitsi: price on a box will be a non starter

Stu
Bought off A1japspares, it was a completely f*cked box at a high price. only comeback is getting a refund, not covering the 8 hours labour to get it in.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Bought off A1japspares, it was a completely f*cked box. only comeback is getting a refund, not covering the 8 hours labour to get it in.
exactly, thats just how it is

They break a smashed evo (or any car), or a breaker with engine or transmission failure, how can they test all the parts before stripping it, its just not possible, so buyers are the testers

not the end of the world with a part that takes an hour to swop, but once you talk engines or gearboxes, the labour is the buyers gamble, no way round that besides paying 1 person to supply and fit the box

I gambled on buying a gearbox and transfer box off here years ago, I needed the transfer box, so took a chance, sods law, the transfer box I bought was also faulty, the gearbox I didnt need turned out to be a good 1

Stu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts