Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone able to shed light on this?

Checked the bore size and they are spot on (85mm), can still see the cross hatching.

Now coming to install the rings, from the Wiseco guide I got the numbers like this

85mm to Inches - 3.3464

Took that number and x it by the recommened details (Street Moderate Turbo/Nitrous).

So (TOP)3.3464 x .0050" and (2ND)3.3464 x .0055"

Giving me

TOP = .0167 (17 rounded up)
2ND = .0184

Now checking the rings in the bore give me strange numbers (Bear in mind the bore was checked right through for size).

TOP was spot(0.17) on but 2ND came in at .023 :eek::cry:

What would you guys recommened? Leave as is/It'll be ok? Get different rings? Open it up some more?

Should mention this is on a VII Block

Cheers

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Ive just had this problem on my stoker build 2.3 thou is far to tight for a ring gap :eek: I " filed mine to fit " using a carb stone and ring file:smthumbup

Billy

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the other rings (TOP and OIL) fit perfect...exactly as stated on the sheet supplied by Wiseco...

The 2nd ring is MILES out, the gap is already too big without even touching it. Wiseco say .018 according to their thing but without touching it, it's at .023

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
the second ring has a bigger gap so dont worry.although the end gaps you have seem a bit low.e7 piston ring end gaps are
ring 1. 0.2-0.3 limit is 0.8
ring 2. 0.3-0.5 limit is 0.8
thats in mm

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the second ring has a bigger gap so dont worry.although the end gaps you have seem a bit low.e7 piston ring end gaps are
ring 1. 0.2-0.3 limit is 0.8
ring 2. 0.3-0.5 limit is 0.8
thats in mm
Confused now, how can my end gaps seem low when the above is alot smaller

If I'm wrong, someone correct me but 0.2/0.3 is about .011 thou ? I have .018, meaning I'm off by .007 thou?

Arggg! :mhihi:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
sorry mate i havent converted it the specs i gave u are standard e7 end gaps wasnt till afetr i read the post again that i saw you meant thou ooops

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Dont use the OEM ring gap specs for the Wiseco rings use the calculation/formula provided with the piston set :smthumbup
If they calculation works out to 18 thou gap the ring to suit if, its to wide contact your supplier and find out if the correct rings have been matched to your piston set (the ring numbers on the top of the ring next to the gap )

Billy

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't notice anything in the box, just the paperwork with the rings! I'll double check tonight (Rings came with the pistons)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok! I've found out from Wiseco that I have the new improved ring set with a larger gap by stock on the 2nd rings! Although I still need to find out the tolerances or recommened sizes (Found the info out on their website).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts