Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Climate Changer
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I'm going to put my spare wheels/winters on this weekend..

I have had mine 2 seasons now and they are well worth it..

No comments please that you don't need them because we only get a few days snow a year..

I don't fancy driving on AO46's in cold wet conditions.. :eek:

I know a lot of you have track day type tyres fitted and they are a nightmare when it gets to 5 deg and below..

I rem last year too many came to grief with them..

I had a lot of fun last year when it snowed bad...

:smthumbup

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I'm putting a new set of Goodyear F1 Asymetric on in the morning.

I've just used a set of Hankook RSII and found that i could tell no real difference on track from the last set of F1 Asymetric but on the road in anything less than dry conditions the F1 Asymetric cannot be beaten.

I will use the F1 for the road and put ex BTCC or SUPER CUP slicks on a spare set of wheels for the track. Then if it's a wet track just leave the F1's on. I've wroked out it will be cheaper alround that way.

Would be nice to have a set of snow boots and i'm sure it would be mucho fun but i can't justify the cost of such a specific condition tyre that will get used so little.

I know the F1 Asymetric will do the job as i've driven in heavy snow with R888 a few years ago. You just have to adjust your driving to the conditions too.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Just put my winter boots on the MAK as there is tons of snow laying Bout and it's damn cold!!
I have on my OEM wheeels a new set of Bridgestone Potenza RE070's, fab tyre in the dry and not too bad when it's wet but when I did a test on a deserted bit of land in deepish snow they were scary so......

I changed there and then to my old (in need of a refurb bigtime) Evo 5 wheels with a newish set of Bridgestone Blizzak's on and all I can say is I have used many vehicles with winter tyres but these are something else!!!

Just enjoying the snow now and trouble free comuting :)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Just put my winter boots on the MAK as there is tons of snow laying Bout and it's damn cold!!
I have on my OEM wheeels a new set of Bridgestone Potenza RE070's, fab tyre in the dry and not too bad when it's wet but when I did a test on a deserted bit of land in deepish snow they were scary so......

I changed there and then to my old (in need of a refurb bigtime) Evo 5 wheels with a newish set of Bridgestone Blizzak's on and all I can say is I have used many vehicles with winter tyres but these are something else!!!

Just enjoying the snow now and trouble free comuting :)
Presumably you've been driving like THIS then!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Well, not quite like that but almost and it was ever so fun having a wee slide and drift on a deserted bit of tarmac today. Very predictable and bags of grip :thumbup:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I changed today to Nokian winter tyres. The Re040's didn't have a lot of grip (none actually)

·
Climate Changer
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Winter tyres are just that.. tyres to be used in the winter months where the temp gets to around 5 deg and below, not just snow.

The compound on a winter tyre has a lot more silica in it than a normal summer tyre so it stays soft when temps get below 5 deg and then below freezing..

On a summer tyre the compound of the tread gets very hard and therefore grip is lost.. If it is very cold and wet you will still have enough grip to drive normally until you have to brake hard, then your grip will be reduced..

On snow and ice you will have almost no grip at all..

Most modern cars today have high grip low profile tyres which render them next to useless when we get the snow.

Too many people think they don't need winter tyres in the UK because, "we only have a few days snow each year" that is because they think winters tyres are "snow tyres"

A winter tyre.

The little wiggly bits on the tread are called "sipes" this is the same technology used on fisherman's boots to give them grip on the cold wet decks of their boats..

The large block tread pattern will also disperse water/slush and a better grip on snow..

A studded winter tyre.. A lot more grip when it is hard packed ice/snow.. These tyres are generally used in Scandinavia where there is a lot of snow/ice for a few months of the year, also a legal requirement, studded are optional I think.

Full on ice/snow tyres.. Drive as fast as you like on anything but bare tarmac..

3 years ago after buying my EVO I didn't know much about winter tyres and I also thought that they were for people in Scotland and Sweden/Norway ect that had snow for months on end, after doing some research on them I decided to invest in a set..

I have a £500 excess on my insurance my winters were £408 fitted..

Ok I have 4WD and powerful brakes and around 370 hp but I still have to be careful if it's hard packed snow/ice.. The difference in grip though over the summer tyres is like night and day..

If you value your EVO just get a crappy set of spare wheels and fit some tyres..

It makes sense if you think about it.. you stay much safer in the winter months and you get more mileage out of your summer tyres..

I came home the other night from work at midnight when the roads were not freezing, but they were around 0 deg and wet..

I could use full power every where and had no loss of traction..

They felt no different than the AO46's on a hot day..

On hard packed snow/ice they will have their limits.. they do give you plenty of grip though as long as you don't start using too much power..

You can use sensible braking force but obviously with the power of the stock brakes the ABS will still kick in early..

I know a lot of you have R888's and similar compound tyres on your cars.. when it gets very cold that compound goes hard and grip is lost..

If it gets down to -10 deg and the like, even the winters will have their limits.. but you will still have a lot more traction than your summer tyres.

The other night when I left work the car park was a sheet of black ice..

1st gear, pulled away gently, low revs drove straight out of the depot and off home..

14 cars got stuck and had to leave their cars at work..

It was -9 and solid ice..

I just drove home normally..

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Winter tyres are just that.. tyres to be used in the winter months where the temp gets to around 5 deg and below, not just snow.

The compound on a winter tyre has a lot more silica in it than a normal summer tyre so it stays soft when temps get below 5 deg and then below freezing..

On a summer tyre the compound of the tread gets very hard and therefore grip is lost.. If it is very cold and wet you will still have enough grip to drive normally until you have to brake hard, then your grip will be reduced..

On snow and ice you will have almost no grip at all..

Most modern cars today have high grip low profile tyres which render them next to useless when we get the snow.

Too many people think they don't need winter tyres in the UK because, "we only have a few days snow each year" that is because they think winters tyres are "snow tyres"

A winter tyre.

The little wiggly bits on the tread are called "sipes" this is the same technology used on fisherman's boots to give them grip on the cold wet decks of their boats..

The large block tread pattern will also disperse water/slush and a better grip on snow..

A studded winter tyre.. A lot more grip when it is hard packed ice/snow.. These tyres are generally used in Scandinavia where there is a lot of snow/ice for a few months of the year, also a legal requirement, studded are optional I think.

Full on ice/snow tyres.. Drive as fast as you like on anything but bare tarmac..

3 years ago after buying my EVO I didn't know much about winter tyres and I also thought that they were for people in Scotland and Sweden/Norway ect that had snow for months on end, after doing some research on them I decided to invest in a set..

I have a £500 excess on my insurance my winters were £408 fitted..

Ok I have 4WD and powerful brakes and around 370 hp but I still have to be careful if it's hard packed snow/ice.. The difference in grip though over the summer tyres is like night and day..

If you value your EVO just get a crappy set of spare wheels and fit some tyres..

It makes sense if you think about it.. you stay much safer in the winter months and you get more mileage out of your summer tyres..

I came home the other night from work at midnight when the roads were not freezing, but they were around 0 deg and wet..

I could use full power every where and had no loss of traction..

They felt no different than the AO46's on a hot day..

On hard packed snow/ice they will have their limits.. they do give you plenty of grip though as long as you don't start using too much power..

You can use sensible braking force but obviously with the power of the stock brakes the ABS will still kick in early..

I know a lot of you have R888's and similar compound tyres on your cars.. when it gets very cold that compound goes hard and grip is lost..

If it gets down to -10 deg and the like, even the winters will have their limits.. but you will still have a lot more traction than your summer tyres.

The other night when I left work the car park was a sheet of black ice..

1st gear, pulled away gently, low revs drove straight out of the depot and off home..

14 cars got stuck and had to leave their cars at work..

It was -9 and solid ice..

I just drove home normally..

Very good info and all correct, I hope a few cogs are turning in peoples heads who are still driving through the snow with R888's!

The reason summer tyres are bad in winter is they do not have a high silica content but obviously a high rubber content and rubber freezes easliy where as silica not so easily and pretty much moulds itself to ice as its soft and digs into the snow and onto the road and bites.

I was out in my Evo the other day, -17 it was and I was doing 60 mph through almost a foot of snow trying to slide it from side to side, pretty much nothing and I could brake almost as hard as normal and get to 1.2 bar of boost before the wheels lost traction.

I did this on a deserted airfield to get an idea of how far I could push the car so I could drive well under that benchmark for total safety on the road.

Just buy some winter tyres guys, thats all you need to do.

Oh, black ice, only studs will help you here as I was having great fun kicking the back end out at 5-10 mph on large patches. I am sure the Blizzaks would be better than summer tyres but not by much.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've been thinking about getting some spare wheels and have some winter tyres fitted to them, what's a good trye to go for? :confused:

Just out of interest do the partially studded tyres get ruined on tarmac? e.g. when you go from a side road covered in snow to a main road that has been cleared

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have Bridgestone Blizzaks on my VII at the moment ... They are just awsome in this weather.....:smthumbup:smthumbup

Paul
I went out earlier today in the snow (hence the avatar).

I can drive around ok but i think it could be better, i'll have a look into those tyres you've suggested :coolsm:

·
Gizzmo Distributor
8,573 Posts
I think I'm going to put my spare wheels/winters on this weekend..

I have had mine 2 seasons now and they are well worth it..

No comments please that you don't need them because we only get a few days snow a year..

I don't fancy driving on AO46's in cold wet conditions.. :eek:

I know a lot of you have track day type tyres fitted and they are a nightmare when it gets to 5 deg and below..

I rem last year too many came to grief with them..

I had a lot of fun last year when it snowed bad...

Which winter tyres do you have then?

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
I managed to get tyre smoke from wheelspin from my winter tyres on a very rough ice / snow surface today :lol:

I am very impressed with how much better than "summer" tyres they are, even with 500bhp :mhihi:

Rog ;)

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
I've fitted Vredestein Wintrac Extremes. Very pleased with them, but they definitely move around a lot more than with my standard Michelin PS2s. I certainly wouldn't want to push them hard in dry, summer conditions, but clearly that's not what I bought them for:)

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,804 Posts
I've also got Vredestein Wintrac Extremes fitted to my BMW Touring Blunderbus and it makes the difference from undriveable to damn good fun :D

BM's are notoriously bad in the snow, but now I can drive around without the fear of getting stuck, there's a massive improvement in grip. (Two bags of sand in the back also help :lol:)

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
I've had two Mercs stuck on my drive since 17 Dec. I simply don't dare take them out at present. Given my recent experience with the winter tyres on the Evo, next year I'm very much inclined to put them on all our cars ie just like they do in northern Europe every year.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I run toyo snowprox on all my cars through the winter months, I cannot stress enough how good these are.
Example, I have a ST220 estate that refuses to move at all in snow wearing a set of 225 F1's, swap over wheels, now nothing will stop it except lack of ground clearance.

As mentioned, most folks associate winter tyres with snow only, but they are fantastic in cold/wet/slush....about 90% of the year where I live!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts