Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would think it would run either your speakers or your sub, but not both.

It looks a reasonable quality amp and i'd probably use that to drive your speakers, and just get a basic mono amp for your sub. You can normally get some good deals from e-bay.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Leonard said:
Hi dont really know anything about ICE
Thats when you freeze water so it becomes solid and then you can put it in your brandy for a tasty drink or two :D

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Will this Amp do what I want it to do????

mud said:
Thats when you freeze water so it becomes solid and then you can put it in your brandy for a tasty drink or two :D
Why I oughta :spank: normally goes in my Jack D :D

Dral cheers m8 thats what i kinda thought but wasnt 100% sure. I am not entirely sure about a sub so i will see what sound I get from the speakers plus amp and take it from there :)

Matt

:)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Will this Amp do what I want it to do????

Leonard said:
Why I oughta :spank: normally goes in my Jack D :D

Dral cheers m8 thats what i kinda thought but wasnt 100% sure. I am not entirely sure about a sub so i will see what sound I get from the speakers plus amp and take it from there :)

Matt

Leonard, I finished my instal a couple of weeks back and having never had a sub before, I can tell you it makes a world of difference, well worth persuing.

As said, a 4ch amp will do front 2 spkrs + sub / rear spkrs
after much help from squicker & bassed, I went for fronts & sub off amp and rears off head unit.
I have the rears faded right down but just enough to give some fill.

Sounds the nuts :D and if i turn the sub off, the sounds drops right away (but it's still good, just not as good)

HTH

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Re: Re: Will this Amp do what I want it to do????

scoop said:
Leonard, I finished my instal a couple of weeks back and having never had a sub before, I can tell you it makes a world of difference, well worth persuing.

As said, a 4ch amp will do front 2 spkrs + sub / rear spkrs
after much help from squicker & bassed, I went for fronts & sub off amp and rears off head unit.
I have the rears faded right down but just enough to give some fill.

Sounds the nuts :D and if i turn the sub off, the sounds drops right away (but it's still good, just not as good)

HTH
What sub did you go for Scoop???

I wouldnt want it to weigh much nor take up any space if possible in the boot :eek:

·
Registered
613 Posts
i went for the alpine mrpf240 (4 x 75w)

if you put a brace across the seat frame (behind the back seat cover in the boot) you can mount the amp on that so it doesn't take up any boot space ;)

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
scoop said:
i went for the alpine mrpf240 (4 x 75w)

if you put a brace across the seat frame (behind the back seat cover in the boot) you can mount the amp on that so it doesn't take up any boot space ;)
Sounds good :idea:

What about the sub though :confused:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sorry, JL 12" in a box :confused: :D

You can keep the box quite small or even get it custom made to fit the contours of your boot if u want (or make it yourself)

mines not too big and it slides up into the back corner so it doesn't take up too much room but that is something you have to weigh up if you're considering a sub.

why, what do you need to carry in your boot?

·
Registered
613 Posts
lol...

you can put it in the well, or you can suspend it from your parcel shelf apparently, or make a false wall ... :confused:

i'm not into all that flashy instal stuff though, i just wanted a sub. it came in a box, i chucked it in the boot - install done :D

I don't really carry anything in the boot so it doesn't matter.
If you get the right plugs (banana plugs IIRC) you can just pull your sub out if you ever need to.

Biggest lesson I learnt was that the A-Pillar tweeter locations were just too aggresive once I put decent speakers in.
I tried all sorts then dropped them into the footwell and the sound was great.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Mount the amp on the back of the seat to save space, and then you can remove the sub box to get your boot space as and when you need it. Here's a pic of my amp install:

As for which sub, I have a Cerwin Vega 12", which sounds awesome, but it needs a box the size of a coffin.. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
scoop said:

Biggest lesson I learnt was that the A-Pillar tweeter locations were just too aggresive once I put decent speakers in.
I tried all sorts then dropped them into the footwell and the sound was great.
Thats interesting m8, did you have to make special enclosures for them or did you just screw them onto some existing trim. :confused:

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Traction Man said:
Mount the amp on the back of the seat to save space, and then you can remove the sub box to get your boot space as and when you need it. Here's a pic of my amp install:

Nice one looking good :coolsm: Dont want to go to far with the ICE, its the weight i worry about :eek: but definately could do with some better sounds :(

·
Registered
613 Posts
I cut them into the plastic panels in the footwell (use a soldering iron with a fine tip if you don't have a hot knife).

(then monday I ordered some spare panels off arnside for £5ea ... just incase I ever need them) :crackup:

Traction man - that's it, that's how I did mine but I mounted it on top of the standard trim.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I put infinity reference components in the front, tweeters mounted in their angled pod on top of the dash next to the A pillars (using badge tape), can't say I find the sound too harsh. :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Traction Man said:
I put infinity reference components in the front, tweeters mounted in their angled pod on top of the dash next to the A pillars (using badge tape), can't say I find the sound too harsh. :)
I guess it's each to their own, I run an alpine 9855R & I put Diamond audio Hex600's in and they were terrible up there.

When asking around it was quickly noted that tweetersshould never be more than a few inches from the mids and also that having the tweeters up high & the mids down low went against basic hifi theory.

So i dropped 'em down & sound was beautiful :D

could well be just the different speakkers though, DA's are very bright.

it's easy enough to try, just don't go cutting any trim till you're happy with the sound was my lesson.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm very wise I will mount em with tape and try em out in various locals :)

Would be nice to have em on show though with the momo logo on, being the poser that i am :D

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
scoop said:
I guess it's each to their own, I run an alpine 9855R & I put Diamond audio Hex600's in and they were terrible up there.

When asking around it was quickly noted that tweetersshould never be more than a few inches from the mids and also that having the tweeters up high & the mids down low went against basic hifi theory.

So i dropped 'em down & sound was beautiful :D

could well be just the different speakkers though, DA's are very bright.

it's easy enough to try, just don't go cutting any trim till you're happy with the sound was my lesson.
I'll give it a try, they've got to come out again anyway, I'm getting some background noise (slight hissing that rises and falls with the engine revs), so it looks like the seats and carpets are coming out to run the wires down the middle... :blah:

I always thought you needed the tweeters up high to get decent imaging / staging, but I'll give it a whirl. :cool:

·
OAP
1,832 Posts
New Rockford speakers come with 2 tweeters. In my car one is mounted in front of the mid-bass unit in the dooor and the other high up on the backing plate of the door morror. Seems to work well, better than the Infinity Kappa's they replaced where the single tweeter was placed high up (although I think this is partly down to the standard of install in the previous car)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts