Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend looking to sell a set of SSR Integral wheels.
Here are the specs on these wheels:

18 x 8
|PLS|35mm offset
5 holes
114.3 PCD
67.1mm center bore

Can I fit these on my Evo 5? I remember I saw 3mm spacers made by H and amp; R, so getting these is really not a prob. Should I use them?

thanks to all

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It all depends on the design of the wheel. Suspension and body clearance should be OK with 225/40 18's but the problem area is the front brake caliper clearance. The only way to know for sure is try a wheel on and see.
It is not recommended to use spacers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HH6, I see a few people purchasing Supperlegeras and using spacers. I figure that 3mm shouldn't be too bad, specially since the spacers I have come with a center hub ring attached, all part of the spacer, which connects to the wheel quite well. I haven't tried them yet because I need to know for sure since he lives in New Jersey and I don't want him to come to my house only to realize that I won't buy the wheels, and he spent the day travelling for no reason. Maybe I'll go to his house. I'll let the group know once I tried them on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are these spacers going to stuff up the brake cooling? the wheel is a very important part of the cooling system (with decent rotors anyway) are these going to reduce heat transfer?

andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Evotrack, here's a picture of the wheel:

It sure looks like more air will be going in, alloy constructed too, compared to the F1 cup. I don't know if I'll need the spacers yet, but how will the spacers affect the colling?Does it impede the air coming from the ducts?
A Mr Moderator tappered with the img address and fixed it - JF

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way as a thought to check whether they will fit or not without the wheels there get your mate to make up a cardboard template across the back of the wheel, 90° to the hub face and up against one of the spokes. Get him to fax/scan email/post the template (you only need half of it) and then make up a negative template from it (draw round it and cut it out). Take your front wheel off and then butt the template against your hub and see if it clears the caliper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HH6, what if the spacer was to be welded to the wheel? Do you really think that something as insignificant as 3mm would cause so much unwanted stress on the studs? Why would H and amp; R, a known German company, make these spacers considering the consequences? Do you think they test their products, or just offer it only for show car purposes? Maybe I'll email them and ask their views on spacers.

Great idea on the cardboard scheme. :) Will definetely try it. Maybe he can scan it and attach it as an email?

Yep, he lives about three hours from where I live, if there is light to moderate traffic. But in New York City, no such luck ever. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nah its nothing to do with air, you need the minimum thermal barrier between the rotor and the wheel which means that you need aluminum to aluminum contact with the greatest possible surface area (or iron to aluminum if you have 1 piece rotors - not as good)

need a pic of the spacer rather than the wheel

why not fit rotors with bells about 5mm thicker, would this not be a better idea?? and will improve things on the warping front too so 2 problems solved in 1 go, could anodise the bells red or blue to look cool although this reduces heat transfer a bit

andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More importantly replace the wheel studs with high tensile ones and use the correct torque loading when tightening them up. Overtightening the wheel stud will stretch it and be far more detrimental to the strength of the stud than using a 3mm spacer with the wheel.

With high tensile studs using the correct tightening torque you will not have a problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for the info. Very helpful. Will let you know if the wheels fit or not. If so, we can add these as yet another wheel to successfully fit the evo. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts