Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought some harnesses and I am in the process of fitting them. I figured following the manufacturers instructions to the letter would be the safest thing to do, but their instructions contradict a lot of what has been advised on this forum with regards to the shoulder straps.

The Sabelt manual says to use the lower anchorages of the rear seat belts for the shoulder straps (I have scanned and attached the page to this thread), but all of the past threads that give advice on fitting harnesses say that using the rear seat belt mounts will an cause injury.

So my question is, why would Sabelt print something that could potentially cause me a serious injury, or is the advice given here wrong?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I think that the forces that will be required to break your back (i.e. press downwards on your shoulders) will be immense, it will never be possible to generate such a force with a human body at car speeds.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
generally, I've always tried to mount the rear anchor points as high as possible....
e.g. through the rear shelf - usually with bar welded underneath for rigidity/anchorage, if no roll cage mounts available...as seen in kit cars
...that way there is less likelihood of downward compression

1 - 5 of 5 Posts