Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evo 6;

What are the widest Tyres that i could fit on a 17" x 8.5" Rim Without Rubbing???

I understand i might have to go alittle on the geometry but i am limited due to oem top mounts.

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This i the thing - i've PM'd a few people and the advice is very varied hence now putting it out to the wider audience.

Talking of wider, the widest suggestion "you'll be fine with" is 255/40x17 :eek:

Obviously the last thing i want to do is waste several hundred pounds on tyres that rub :naughty:

·
Premium Member
9,976 Posts
I've seen 255 on a VIII with coilovers.

However, no way I'd of got away with 255-40-17 on any of my earlier cars.

235 is the safe bet, for sure. But a lot would be determined on height/alignment.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I run 235 on a 9 inch wide pro race 1.2. Get a tiny scrub on passenger rear but that's because it's slightly lower there and I haven't got around to raising it! Other than than that no issues

·
Premium Member
7,809 Posts
You going normal road tyres or semi slick?

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You going normal road tyres or semi slick?
Yeah thats the bloody dilema :rolleyes:

These wheels will be road only as i dont want to burn brake dust into them, but i like the look of semi-slicks. They look a whole lot better than normal tyres, even if they arent going to be used to their potential :blush:

Plus i hate squidgy road tyres that kill the steering feel, so if i went road tyres they would have to have stiff side walls. Some of the Michelins look half decent saying that.

Bloody choices eh?? :handsup:

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
5,271 Posts
Too many choices :lol:....I still want to know what rims you got coming :naughty:

Yeah thats the bloody dilema :rolleyes:

These wheels will be road only as i dont want to burn brake dust into them, but i like the look of semi-slicks. They look a whole lot better than normal tyres, even if they arent going to be used to their potential :blush:

Plus i hate squidgy road tyres that kill the steering feel, so if i went road tyres they would have to have stiff side walls. Some of the Michelins look half decent saying that.

Bloody choices eh?? :handsup:

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
235/45/17 are best, for 6, mine are on 7.5 inch OEM wheels though, you need to watch the tyre and wheel width, you don't want the tyre peelng over the rim when cornering.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts