Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an E4 and want to fit wider wheels to it... I need wider wheel arches / front wings to accomodate them.

Open to suggestions / offers?

·
acting daft since 1969
19,589 Posts
unless you go to e5/6 rear arches and front wings theres very little room to go any bigger than 17"s, I THINK

ive just posted in the wheel and tyre section about 18"s if its possable so i will keep my eye on that one

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got 18x7.5" on mine at the moment, and that's with a 5mm spacer on the front to get the wheel over my brembos, and they fit fine (tyres are 215/35 Toyo Proxes 4).

The new tyres are much bigger, so just need to get the wheel arches wider to fit... will worry about arch liners and full-lock behaviour later! ;)

I did think about getting panels off an E5/6 but wasn't sure the seems would meet up with the door panels still? Is it just the arch that's wider on the later models, or is the whole panel different?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just tried 235/45/17`s on my E4 .. not a hope ..

Even rolling the arches looked a strain !! ...

The tyres hit the front of the side sills where they fit around the inner wheel well ...

The rears hit all along the inner arch of the wheel well and the rear bumper fitment .. we decided the amount of rolling to try to get these to fit would be daft and take away from the originality of the car .. Cant see how fitting wider arches to the rear would work as the doors sit too tight to them ?? But expect its been done (would be dubious about the final looks tho )

Just bit the bullet and bought a set of Toyo 215/40/17`s ... with a bit of luck they should fit without an issue :)

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
If you get the right ET then 225/40/18 shouldnt be too much prob , had them on mine for about 2 years, did :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
If you go down the 5/6 panel route you will have to replace front and rear bumper side skirts front wings and rear bubble arches. They will fit fine though as i'm doing this at the moment. Which ever way you look at it though you will either have to roll or cut out the rear arches

·
acting daft since 1969
19,589 Posts
im going to hack my rears out the same as a 5/6 ,and then fit the arch trims ,im leaving the bumper as is for the time being its all cut out under there anyway ,im just looking at whats going to look right on the front ,im thinking of cutting the arch off a set of 5/6 wings and fastening it on the front wings with the metal underneath cut away ,then heat the front bumper up and bend its out so it meets the top of the front wing ,this will produce some radical styling ,but i want to keep it as a 4 ,im not wanting to do the whole conversion its sods law that id do all the panels bonnet,and bumper job id bin it into a ditch on the first stage i get to and basicly scrap the lot

ive go a rally on the may bank holiday after that its all systems go with the airsaw ,wide arched and spare wheel well removed

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
:eek:You need to get some pics up of that once its done, don't thik its really suitable for a road car though. it'll also look pretty strange where the buuble arches meet the side skirt. Would you not be better getting the arches rolled:confused:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wonder if a 5/6 front bumper, wings & wheel arch liners will fit a 4? That would sort the problem at the front AND would let me get rid of the big front fogs, maybe replace them with some more brake cooling vents or a cold air feed to induction kit

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Wonder if a 5/6 front bumper, wings & wheel arch liners will fit a 4? That would sort the problem at the front AND would let me get rid of the big front fogs, maybe replace them with some more brake cooling vents or a cold air feed to induction kit
It all bolts straight on mate and takes no more than a couple of hours, the only bit that is a bit awkward is the rear bubble arches as it would be a pain to drill the rear quater panel and doors so i bonded mine on:smthumbup

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ooh nice, might have to keep my eyes peeled for anybody breaking a silvery grey E5/6 then! :D

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You will have to get the panels re-sprayed as the 4 is a darker silver, but i've been quoted £600 from a fellow mlr member for all the panels so not to bad:D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thinking about it, I could just get carbon wings instead and not bother painting them! ;)

·
acting daft since 1969
19,589 Posts
:eek:You need to get some pics up of that once its done, don't thik its really suitable for a road car though. it'll also look pretty strange where the buuble arches meet the side skirt. Would you not be better getting the arches rolled:confused:
my arches are hammered flat theres nothing left to speek of, the bumper and all the stuff thats normally in the way has gone ive had to bolt the bumper on 2 inches further back co theres no where left to bolt it thro normally ,,as for the rear arches at the bottom im going to do a mod that allows me to keep the 4 sill trims and have a rivit on piece of a 6 bit that meets up to the bottom ,its going to take some fettling but it will look right when its done ,its all seems like a lot of hassle just for wider wheels but i still want people to see my cars a 4 not just another convert .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts