Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this should be interesting!

I have wondered lately about people's motivation for tuning their cars.

Those doing basic filter/exhaust type tuning - that's obvious. The standard car was throttled for emissions and cost reasons, so for very little cash you can realise it's full potential.
I understand brake modifications, and spring mods - better brakes (standard are rubbish) and more comfortable ride or better on road handling.

Then there is the medium power people - the 350-385bhp brigade. Most of these guys seem to be just totally addicted to squeezing more out!

Then there is people like myself and Thorak - who have lived with the car and examined and refined many aspects to produce a good track car.

The ones I don't get are the power at all costs - e.g. those who want 600hp, but are just focused on the engine output - with little regard to the rest of the car. These seem more drag or paper oriented, and unusable on the street or track - can't understand why anyone would want that.

THis maybe an over simplistic view and a generalisation, but would be interested in other people's thoughts.

My personal brief for tuning the car was to build the perfect car for me. THat is why the detailing is extreme in many cases - lots of things have been done for nothing other than my personal gratification! The money spent could have bought me a 355 second hand or a 911 GT3 - but neither would have been as personal. Whatever commonality my car has with other EVOs in terms of parts - the whole is greater than the sum of the parts - and my EVO is pretty unique in that respect, and more importantly, a great fit for my needs and desires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Why tune the EVO???? Hmmmm, simple answer: because people get used to the standard power and want more! If you first test-drive an EVO you think: WOW!! Crazy performance!! after 2 weeks owning it you think: Does the car get slower every day?

Isnt that the same in every field of life? Only few people are always satisfied with their actual situation, the majority wants to improve averything, like income, house, stereo, girlfriend...

If you have reached or got what you have ever dreamed of, the satisfaction does not last very long, at least in my case. The reason for that is, that passion is closely related to dreams and illusions, and these illusions are always better than reality in the end.

When I got my EVO, I thought that the 280 bhp should really impress me for quite a while...now, after 1 year, I find my car much too slow, and I am dreaming about more power, a harder kick, a better acceleration, more adrenalin...

I know, when I will tune my car to stage 1, I will only enjoy it for some weeks, then I will need more power to have this inner satisfaction when driving the car.

Thats why I haven´t yet started to tune my EVO, because I know my character, and perhaps it is better not to start this tuning thing in order to keep a stabilised financial situation. But if I dont start, I will always think: Damn, it could pull harder after 5000 revs...and it could have better brakes....a better exhaust sound...

Sometimes it is nice to be satisfied with what you have, otherwise it could happen that you really get sad if you are never happy with the actual state of things.

Just my opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would NEVER, and cannot recommend tuning your Evo. It invalidates the warranty! Plus the Evo is so fast already standard. Almost as fast as Ian's M3 (although he started tuning the oil circuit on it ;))

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OUCH! :) I seem to fit the power at all cost scenario. But actually my motivation for tuning the EVO came from being part owner of a tuner shop . I would like to test out most if not all items we plan to sell before offering them to our customers. And the fact that I suck at the track or circuit racing, I build my EVO for drag. Which is the most popular pastime here and where most of our customers come from. Maybe like Blade, I wanted the perfect EVO for me. I wanted a 10sec car which I can drive to my office everyday, with A/C and power steering still intact. I have achieved that and I am contented. For now anyways ;)

I did take into consideration the rest of the car and not only engine output. Cosmetics as well. Although people may say my EVO looks weird. :) I just smile and let it be. My EVO is for my enjoyment and I am happy with it.

Now that my TME is almost finished. My plan for the EVO 7 is for torque and not top end power. Of course, as Blade says, the whole car has to be taken into consideration. I have already installed HKS dampers and Eibach springs. Titan-R exhaust system. Already ordered titanium downpipe, straight pipe, carbon bonnet and boot, cold air intake, ARC intercooler and air filter. Thinking of keeping the turbo stock or if I give in to the temptation, maybe a 2835 at the most.

Can't think of a good wheel design for my 7 though.

Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good question, Blade. I didn't fall into the group EVO6LX describes of asying wow on the test drive. The problem was the opposite. I thought great car but needs more power . So I looked at the options of how to buy a tuned Evo, of the shelf and I ended up with the Extreme. Some might say that this does not count, because I just went out and bought it but I can see no difference between buying it as a package and doing it in small stages. I am just lucky I could afford to do it this way.

However, I do agree with EVO6LX about does the car get slower evrey day . You get used to the power, you find weaknesses in dynamics (brakes, suspension etc)and you know that they can be fixed. Then you hit this slippery slope. It becomes addictive. You spend all your waking hours thinking about it. It rules your life and your bank account. YES, I admit it. I am an Evoholic! :D :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
excellent question, one which probably has no correct answer.However, it is a question of always wanting what more. I have learnt my lesson on this the hard way with motorcycles, lost a fortune on bolt on mods that make the ride/drive more uncomfortable. even when in theory the machines were much more capable than i was a rider. The same goes for the evo. there is more than enough power there to kill you or someone else and keep up with or beat the best of the rest. Human nature though is to be better than the next man and spend more money than they can afford in reality. I am lucky that my GSR is leased so i am restricted from tampering with it. Otherwise there is no doubt that it would be breathing better and i would be divorced to boot:D. I do dream of getting a windfall and producing the ultimate street evo, but whats the chances of that? nil. so i will have to make do with 285bhp for now.

wheres that novelty lottery pen?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this sounds sad but:
i would not of tuned the car at all if it wasnt for boards like this and doing the meets.
i came from humble calibra, so the evo was bonkers anyway, then i meet barry and simon saw what they were doing and got caught up in the whole scene.
now i cant get enough, but if you look at is sensibly, unless you are into track days or sprints, what is the point?
but i have to say i agree with evo6lx's point, monday: bloody hell, Tuesday: this feels a bit slack

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TurboAWD,

Easiest way to find a wheel that looks good on the 7: fire up GT3 on the PS2, and try out the different wheel combos! |EQU|) It really works! :D

Though I must say the 7 seems to be somewhat difficult to find a nice aftermarket wheel for. Or is that just me?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blade,
My own reasons for tuning the Evo are simple, in that it is done to customise the car to your own personal taste, to make it just a little different than the guy next to you. My beleif is that apart from the exhaust and air filter, and maybe a boost upgrade, that should be it.You should then go out and enjoy your car ,even when it starts to feel slow two days later. Once you start spending the money it is definatley the beginning of the end.It can quite literally affect your whole lifestyle and your financial wellbeing.The biggest gripe i have at the moment is that silver Evo 6 [S6 GSR ] that Autocar tested in 1999 [the one on the front cover thats airborne ] in that the performance figures published seem to be fantastic. I recently used those figures as bench marks for my own performance tests, before and after fitting HKS filter and exhaust ,and i couldnt match them at all. My car was a tme. Ralliart must have fettled that car before that test by some degree. So if i cant match the performance of a so called standard GSR after tuning a TME, why bother even attempting to spend all that money on tuning in the first place? The figures that car produced would be worthy of a quite heavily modded Evo. So, spend a little on the car to get it the way you want, then save your money for the evolution of the EVOLUTION.Regards SIMON.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
upgrade the power and you'll grab 1 sec a lap
upgrade the suspension you'll grab 2 secs a lap
upgrade the driver and you'll grab 5 secs a lap

No disrespect but I never understood the big power tune thing - surely its only for the satisfaction that you KNOW you have 500bhp and that you can announce it down the pub or at the cruise (especially 'cos most cars in that state of tune are totally unuseable heaps of crap). Too much power ruins a car not just in driveability and the way teh engine character is but also in how exploitable the car is.

For me, blades flocked dashboard is more tempting than the power. I love details like that !

One of the reasons I don't want to go 350bhp on my car is that i'll have to do teh brakes and suspension as well and also would want the car to look a lot different so that its meaner and looks like a faster non-standard evo (e.g. zero fighter bodykit). If people want the fastest car or want to get the best 1/4 miles time down the pub then there are far faster cars to buy than EVO. No disrespect but talk of 500bhp|PLS| Cossies always makes me cringe.

Having said that, i still think that because of the mags in part, the evo has a lot to live up to and is NOT as quick as people might believe. It does need a bit extra to really be considered quick especially with the likes of Tamoras, Tuscans, Nobles, GT3's, M3's etc... 0-100 should be around 10 secs for my liking but i suspect that its around 13 in a bog GSR (and not 11.5 etc... like the mags say).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jackal - flocking is lovely. If I had a standard car, I would flock the whole interior!

Totally agree with your comments, and is the reason why power was the very last thing I did. For my application, getting the right balance of power is tricky and has been a real learning curve!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice thread Blade, something I can have a good ramble at :D

here goes....

For me there are a few reasons, some of which have already been mentioned, but they generally boil down to 2 points.

As I learn more about the Evo and about driving, I begin to spot things that I don’t like or that could be improved (even with my poor knowledge!) and look at how I can fix the problem, the exhaust and induction case from Blade is a perfect example.

The other main point is that sadly the Evo doesn’t feel as fast (and I mean round corners here too, not just BHP) as it did when I first bought it, when I then compare it to other peoples Evo I know that with a few mods the car is much more capable.

As for laying blame! I’ve never modified a car before and to be honest was a little wary of doing so before I came to the MLR , here I’ve gained confidence from seeing others do mods and being able to ask advice.

I’ve also been able to meet other owners who have modded things and seen the results and been able to compare the end result with my car, thanks to Claudius I now realise how soft the Evo’s sus is, how bad the brakes are and how crap a driver I am, the result was to scrap the ECU changes I had naively planned and aim for brakes and sus, while I’m waiting I also plan to be taking driving lessons (before Jackal jumps down my throat again! ;) ) as I now understand to high importance of them

I guess to sum things up, being able to compare your cars with others and becoming accustom to the Evo’s power makes me want more, knowing that its possible makes me do it.

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont agree you were slow, Ryan. Remember we knew the roads much better than you! Plus your car was std. Good to hear you uprate the suspensions and brakes first.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I might have been faster if it wasn't for the hysterical woman screaming and crying sat next to me! :D :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got to say I agree with 6LX. When I first drove an evo, i thought, f*ck me, I've gotta have one of these, the fastest thing on the planet, surely! After a week of driving I was constantly thinking there was something wrong with it. I only put it on a rolling road to convince myself there wasn't.

Like Lee, I had no intentions at all of touching my car. Having read what others do, I bought a sus kit, de-cat and front pipe. Now I'm trying to find an excuse for the missus to let me get an ecu and boost controller. I suppose a lot of it is keeping up with the Jones's . After seeing what power/torque other cars are making over mine, with just a few (relatively inexpensive) mods, I want them too! God I wish I hadn't gone to Powerstation. Lee, it's all your fault!

The frequently used term of easily led on my school reports, seems to be accurate after all! :)

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i agree with Claudius - all you naughty tuning boys and girls have invalidated your warranties and the cars fast enuf anyway.....

actually i'm just jealous coz if my missus found i was spending anything on my evo then i'd lose all my conjugal rights (actually why the hell am i holding back?????).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i enjoy the whole social thing as well, i have spent most of the day, discussing ecu's with howard and andy.....

i find work such a inconvience to evo chat :)

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spend some money on a powerslide course after that you will honour youre car even more.

i think i go for a boost controller and put my evo 7 rs on 1.4 bar.

lol

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I started off, 3 months ago, swearing that I would not touch my 5 with anything aftermarket - I now have an inventory of parts that I am trying to put into some order of preferance before I try figure out how I am going to explain/afford it all:(

Its all your fault, all of you!! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Blade

I think a lot of it comes from the enthusiasm the Evo manages to create amongst it's owners and coupled with the information available on sites likes it's a temptation too strong to resist :). There are no set rules for tuning either, it's a case of investigating and learning which is great and adds another dimension. The problem for me is that as soon I settle on one set of upgrades I start finding out about something else that could be better!

I don't think this 'problem' is limited to just Evo owners though. Cars mags seem full of ads for tuning parts and tuners these days, the whole tuning industry seems to have become massive over the last year or two.

Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts