Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealer in Malaysia and was checking out the EVO 7. I am very interesting in purchasing one but I noticed the dash board has no turbo guage/meter or whatever you call it. And why is that? Would that mean I would have to buy one of those after market turbo boost guages? I would like to know what colors would you people get if you were to purchase one. Just want to know which one you guys think looks the best. I narrowed it down to 3 colors. Black, white or silver. BTW do they make the EVO 7 in leather seats? In Malaysia the car only has a one year warranty. Some other dealers have 3 months and one I asked said it has none! How pathetic!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think you have narrowed the colours down really well. My favorates are Black and Silver both of which allow you to see the lines of the car at its best. Laether is not an option although Ralliart UK offer it as an extra on some of their specials. They get the trim done locally. Why do you want a boost gauge? As you cannot alter the boost yourself, it would be only there as a curiosity. Unless you plan serious tuning.

I suspect the warranty is all a case of whether it is an official import or not. Somebody who sells grey imports probably has no recourse to the manufacturer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prety pathetic Mistubishi still isn't fitting boost gauges in Evos! Maybe from the 8??
As for colours IMHO black is the best and red the second.
Regarding leather seats...get an M3 or a Porker if that's what you are after...the Evo is not that kind of car!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I could get a M3 i would rather bu one since it has more class and speed is pretty much the same. But since I just moved from Los Angeles to Malaysia to work since my parents just opened a new company here. Yea i know bummer :( Imported cars in Malaysia have 200 to 300% tax because the government wants every one to buy local cars which are Protons. Thats why they increase the imported cars so high and it also depends on the engine size too. The bigger engines have more tax. A 2001 BMW M3 cost 150,000 US dollars. I dont think im gonna spend that kind of money for a M3. Thats is why I getting a EVO 7 to fit my budget right now. It cost 66,000 US. I think for that kind of price I can have alot of fun with it. Hoping I can make more money and get a better car in about 2 years time. Back when I was in the Los Angeles I bought a used 1998 Red Ferrari 355 Spider with only 1850 miles. I purschased it for 133,000 US. and drove it for almost 2 years and sold it before I came to Malasyia :/ When I sold it I back to the same dealers I purchased it from Motorcars Intenational in Illinois they bought it back from me for 130,000 US. I think maybe it because the 360 Modena just came out and was a bit pricey. That why I think I got lucky. I only put in about 8 Thousand miles to it. So I was more than happy with that and even tho I know they sold it for at least 140K. But I had to because I was leaving the country. The reason when I bought it is because my parents didnt care about how much I was spending in LA. They knew I was collecting rent from 2 other houses we had for lease. But they never really asked where it went :) So before my 25th birthday I went and order one from Bob Bubouchard. Very nice guy and helped me alot.
When I saw the RED EVO it brougt alot memories when I had my Ferrari. Thinking it is a four door red Ferrari.. hehe. But the EVO red compared to the Ferrari red is just not even close to being as shiny and color is quiet dull. Thats why if its not a Ferrari dont get a red car. My girlfriend told me the same thing. :/ Just my opinion :) I made her sit in the passenger seat to see how she feel aout those recaro seat. She told me it feels like the 355 seats but with no leather so she prefers the 355 seats. The recaros do feel tighter because it has much more support. But when I tried to push the car down to see how stiff the suspension feel, ill say that it feels stiffer than the Ferrari. I heard the ride is quite stiff?
Ok so if want in the future,to increase my boost bar or whatevers, what accessories do I need. Will it damage the stock engine by
just increasing the boost bar? Im not too much familiar with the boost thingy. I was thinking in order to do that you have to get this and that, the list just goes on. Just a simple increase of turbo boost is fine for now. Any help?
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Derek888,

Believe me, there's no way you could not loose a significant amount of money when you sell the car later. Car prices depreciate quite fast in Malaysia. If you pay US66k for it today, next week you could only sell it for 63k perhaps?? So, forget about experiencing the same thing as when you sold your Ferrari. Cars like Evo, NSX, other rare grey imported cars and especially continental cars depreciate as soon as they leave the showroom, they say. Agree with your point on exorbitant import duty for imported cars imposed by the government. I think Malaysia is just behind Singapore when it comes to car prices. I know for the fact that cars are cheaper in Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam and most Asean countries. Our lucky friends in UK should be grateful, and I envy them:)

Black is nice. Don't forget to let us know your decision and I can look out for you out there. And yeah, if you are not gonna do any serious tuning, then boost gauge is not necessary. Inadequate support in Malaysia anyway for you to tune it up that much. No Ralliart in Malaysia and only a few places that you can bring your Evo for service. Better leave it standard, that could help when you decide to sell it later.

I saw some blue Evo7 and thought they were not bad a color:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all don't ever say the M3 is pretty much the same as an Evo in this forum....you'll start a riot!!
As for the E7....get a black GSR and after you are done with the running in start changing a few bits here and there. I know someone in Malasyia with a red R33 GTR, and he gets his car tuned at Top Secret around those parts. Infact he has just fitted a completly modded engine pumping out over 600bhp and the Top Secret owner flew over to Malasyia to map his ECU personally.
To increase boost on you Evo fit a new exhaust system(...no cat) and a less restrictive air filter. I recomend you use and HKS super power flow in Malasyia( as the oily fileter is the best for your climate). This will give you a rise in boost since the engine can breathe easier and exhaust gasses are less restricted from the exhaust and no cat. To keep boost under control and to maximize your boost curve you will need a boost controller such as the HKS EVC oir a Blitz DSBC. If you then add a remapped ECu or a piggy back ECU you should be looking at a reasonable hike in torque and power. BTW if you fit a boost controller you'll get a boost reading too...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oli,

didn't realise you were posing as Derek from Malaysia. I knew you were a ponce a long time ago...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Humble

I agree with you, I think there is inadequate support in Malaysia when it comes to modifying cars. If I were to put an exhaust on it I think I would prefer one with a cat. I personally think it would be too loud for everyday driving.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Derek,

One thing worth checking out before you buy that E7. Where are you gonna have it serviced? With the AYC that needs special attention and knowlegde, to find a good mechanic who knows Evo is kinda tricky, don't you think? Not to mention other possible problems you might come across, though I hope you won't have any problems at all!:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Michael

In total agreement with you on this one, m8!!

I came to the conclusion that his M3 comment wasn't worth biting on. Also, maybe we should start a new thread - look at the cars I claim I have owned .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
derek,

Buy a Hyundai elantra CDX, that's got leather and comes in all the colours you like! With the money on tax you save you could transplant a blower into it and buy a boost guage!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts