Lancer Register Forum banner

Please vote (post reply with reasons for choice)

• Tein Monoflex

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • Exe-Tec

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 16 34.8%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right ladies & gents the summer is fast approaching:D and with plans to develop my EVO IX into a usable road/track day monster I think its time to get saving for some suspension upgrades.:naughty: Having been a member of the MLR for a few years I understand that when it comes to suspension everyone has differing opinions and with ever increasing good offers from the MLR traders the decision is made that much harder.
Please bare in mind that my EVO will not be an out & out track car but also my weekend car(3000 miles/yr max). With this in mind I'm looking for the ultimate set-up that will be useable both on track and for the odd blast along the UK's twisty B roads.:mhihi:
My thoughts are to opt for Tein Monoflex with EDFC. This option will enable me to alter the ride to suit the road/track conditions. However, on the other hand I have heard good reports about Ece-Tec, but will this set-up allow sufficient changes to be made to get the best out of them on track/roads. Also any alterations that may need to be done to the ride/set-up will need to be carried out quickly and easily by myself to reduce costs.

What is the ride generally like on our roads with Monoflex/Exe-Tec?:confused:

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I've voted Monoflex purely because I've just ordered a set from RC Developments!

If you can Afford EXE-TC, Just shy of £2000 I believe (Exc. top mounts), Then I would go for them everytime. I've got the Monoflex purely on value for money and plan getting the EDFC fitted soon after as another little toy ;)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Have had the Tein momoflex about 6months now and find them great. Dont have the edfc, the setup is hard which can be a bit harsh on the fantastic smooth Irish roads :wallbang: but you learn to live with it but expected it so there were no suprises! Everyone has thier own opinion on here but i suppose you will get a general jist of what is good or not.

Good luck with whatever you opt for :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
14,884 Posts
Majority of owners I have spoken to with the Monoflex say its too harsh for B-roads. For smooth tarmac and track they will be fine.

Have you considered the Super Street, not as harsh as the Monoflex ?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't considered the Super Street as I think this would be detrimental to track performance when considered along side the other options! :confused:

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
Monoflex are hard on the road. My g/f hates being a passenger now :lol:

But that's what you expect from coilovers.

Never tried Exe-tc, but I know they're good.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I Have Cusco Zero 2e with econ controller, very very impressed, on soft settings just right for the b roads around cornwall. Yet to try them out on track but the harder settings are noticeably harder, they also have a good ride height (adjustable) with adjustable top mounts. Considered the tein monoflex but most people say too hard for day to day use

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I have superstreet good compromise but dont have edfc, thats what I want next to have better control, good compromise much better than standard set up.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
I've got MonoFlex m8.They're far too harsh for normal roads and make the car pretty unsettled over uneven surfaces (like most British roads). Its good on track tho!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got MonoFlex m8.They're far too harsh for normal roads and make the car pretty unsettled over uneven surfaces (like most British roads). Its good on track tho!
Even on the softest setting??? With this in mind, if your were to buy coilovers again would your choice be different?

·
Registered
21,179 Posts
Even on the softest setting??? With this in mind, if your were to buy coilovers again would your choice be different?
I agree with Charlie.

But since I only drive the car once a month it doesn't bother me. The car is great on the bends. Slow town driving is a nightmare. Softest setting makes you just bounce about in the car.

If I were to buy again I'd look into Exe-Tc - but I would have no problem buying Monoflex again.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
I havent really played with the setings too much m8, they're on a happy (lazy) medium. I'll no more this summer and i'm gonna buy an EDFC so i can adjust it.

One thing to consider m8 is re-build costs. I had some dfferent make coilovers previously that got shagged and i was stuffed. Repair costs were near what i paid for the things! And it meant sending them away etc etc. At least Tein are well known!
I got mine from RC Developments and paid a competetive rate for the kit and got it installed by them as well. They did a great job of sorting the geometry out and i know that if i encounter a problem they'll sort it out.

·
NR555
7,423 Posts
I have the mono flex, been on for 15 months now no problems.

·
Keep er lit!
4,203 Posts
Exe tc fast road on my car, 20 clicks front and back (possible 40) i find is a good all round road setting. havent tried them track/sprint yet but on the road there awsome, not far off standard ride feeling when normal driving and when you need them to work in twisty stuff they do. the build quality is good aswell and built in the UK has to be a good thing. i have driven a car with the RM04 kit that performs Very well also.

·
Premium Member
10,458 Posts
I HAVE Tein Monoflex, Great sep up, but as said above very harsh on the road even on the softest setting 16, i had mine on the hardest setting on slicks at Brands and it was like being in a touring car !! it was a little to hard to get the powerdown on the car as it bouncing round the corners, but a little tweak to middle setting soon sorted that out.:smthumbup

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I HAVE Tein Monoflex, Great sep up, but as said above very harsh on the road even on the softest setting 16, i had mine on the hardest setting on slicks at Brands and it was like being in a touring car !! it was a little to hard to get the powerdown on the car as it bouncing round the corners, but a little tweak to middle setting soon sorted that out.:smthumbup
Met your car in the flesh when RichW had it. Love it!!!!:D
You must be very happy with your new toy!:smthumbup

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
We tested Tein flex on our 8 and i thought they were great on the road but when i tested them on track they were good but not as good as i would have liked but i am fussy !!

Not tested the mono-flex yet but they are the same spring ratings as the flex 9kg and 7kg (for 7/8/9) but with the inverted strut type and mono tube they can only be more efficient;)

We use Tein super racing and i cant fault them on track, driven them on the road a few times and they're a bit bumpy

In our opinion Tein are the best value for money, very good quality and do what i want them to on track.

If anybody wants to jump in with me sometime this year for a ride just let me know.

Cheers
Lee:)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Had exe-tc fast road on mine for over a year now & have found them faultless. I do however only use my car on the road. Having said that the welsh roads offer a variety of surfaces to attack pretty hard.

if budget isn't the main consideration I would definitely go for the exe-tc especially as they are now making the bodies from Stainless Steel;)

I run mine 18 from hardest front & 16 from hardest rear (out of a poss 40 clicks) so I still run it pretty stiff. still soaks up big bumps & holes better than the standard, even at slow speeds, & once you really start pushing it you really notice the difference over standard.

Simon

1 - 20 of 43 Posts