Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been up petrol station and noticed a strange whistling noise, thought it was stereo at first, switched that off still could hear it, slowed down to near standstill and it disappeared, revved it up, no noise, strange, so I pull away again and the whistling starts, I dab brakes that makes no difference, i dip clutch and rev engine whilst coasting, still makes no difference, it's too late to look at it tonight, will have a check over tomorrow, just wondering if any of you guys know of or had anything similar happen?

Paul.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do you have a dump valve on your car?
If so it is probably the little vacum hose which has come loose.
It would be the same if you don't have the dump valve.
Therefore it would be wise to check for leaks on all the pipes leading to the turbo.
You will also notice a lack of boost, when you put your foot down.
Hope this is of some help, although it might not be the problem that has occured on
your car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unKle,

I think I have the same noise as you....does it sound similar to an electronic whistle or high pitched sound? Does it seem to come from the left hand side of the car? It seems to happen on small throttle openings. I'm yet to figure out exactly what it is but I think it's possible a frequency emitted by the turbo under certain conditions.

Would love to know if others have experienced this noise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you hear this only on your way back from the petrol station, and not on the way there?

If so, check if you forgot to put the petrol cap back on !! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks for the replies guys, AussieRSX you seem close to having same prob it def comes from the left hand side more than anywhere else, I have had the vehicle up on the ramp at my workshop today, could find no problem, nothing obvious anyway, only thing I did find was the coilover susp. resevoir(?) canister loose out of its mounting, but that wouldn't have caused the noise.

The only thing I can possibly think it could be is electrical as the noise only starts once you pull away above 10mph and does not increase with speed or revs and stays on or off boost.

I just wonder if there is a control valve or solenoid that a pipe could travel through and open once sensed that the vehicle is moving, this would explain if there is a small pipe that has chaffed or split? Anyone know the electrical layout of the 6's?? Cos that is the logical route I am going down!!

Cheers again, Paul.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts