Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any advice, i seam to have a whine comming from the gearbox side of the front of my car, when i back off the accelerator it stops and when i give it some gas it comes back,

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
whinning

try droppin ur missus off b4 u go out paul:D

no i had this same noise- it was related to the clutch- it,l probably b the push type thing inside- not sure of its technical name. clutch out job . i thought it was diff but took it 2 dealer who diagnosed it properly!

·
Registered
580 Posts
My car started doing the same whilst I was on a trackday on Sunday.
It didn't make any noise yesterday when I took it out though. Mind you
I wasn't giving it the same abuse as on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
try droppin ur missus off b4 u go out paul:D

no i had this same noise- it was related to the clutch- it,l probably b the push type thing inside- not sure of its technical name. clutch out job . i thought it was diff but took it 2 dealer who diagnosed it properly!
dropped her off 3 years ago when i devorced her, she said i loved my car more than her and i did. do you not know what the part was

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi guys.. I too have noticed a whine (front of car) - it gets louder/faster when i rev the engine or accelerate but is most noticable when going from standing - less when going faster (or perhaps can't hear it s mch when going faster)

I don't get any knocks when turning but do get a different whine when on full lock say when turning in a car park - not sure if this is related though - could this be usual power steering noise?

I don't have any issues with getting in gear or clutch slippage (that i've noticed).

I have got a recurring issue with the AYC in warm weather - currently trying to source another AYC pump for this issue though.

I wondered if there should be any whining at all? Does this cound like a clutch issue? Thanks for any comments or advice.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Stig, it wouldn't happen to be the pressure plate was it? The bit with all the fingers? Or was it the thrust bearing that pushes into the clutch assembly?

Only reason I ask is because I'm suffering from the same whine after just changing my clutch and gearbox. Would like to narrow down if its either clutch related or gearbox related...

·
Registered
521 Posts
I also get a whine when pulling away/at low speeds, seems to go away at higher revs, and get a different noise when on full lock too, but thought that might be normal with the power steering.
Seems a few of us have the same noise, is it anything to be worried about?? Mine often goes away when the engine has been revved a bit after it has warmed up, but not always... I'm hopeless technically tho, help!:confused:

·
Registered
273 Posts
My problem has now escalated...

...its bloody diff failiure!!! :wallbang::wallbang::wallbang:

Hopefully getting my original box fixed so I can get it re-fitted to the car again. I tell you, if its not one bloody thing... :lol:

·
Registered
60 Posts
im having a similar problem on my 4. i thot it was the wheel bearings so i replaced them on friday, WASNT THEM....(£300 later)... so yesterday i changed the gearbox oil, transmission/transfer box oil and rear diff oil thinking this would work but it never, i got some addatives for the gearbox and transmission/transfer box to quietin it down but that never worked either. in the end we took the 4 down to ma mates work, got it up on the 4 poster, i got in it and started driving it when in the air, noise is coming from transmission/transfer box. so has anyone got a transmission/transfer box for a 4?????

hope this helps you guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts