Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I'm still getting that occasional burning smell a bit like burning rubber. I can also hear a whining sound (from the front of the car?) that follows the speed/pitch of the revs.

I was thinking it could be one of the belts. I have recently replaced the cam and balancer belts along with the tensioner bearings and idler pulley but I haven't had the aux belt or pulleys/tensioner done yet.

A couple of garages have looked but have found nothing wrong. Does the aux belt sound likely or could it be something else, perhaps gearbox, diff or transfer box? I can't see how those could account for the smell though. I also get an occasional rattley sound from the front nearside and a little bit of noise from the offside as well.

Help....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you say it smell like rubber are there any marks on your tyres.. ?
Nothing to indicate scrubbing. Sometimes I smell it when driving from cold and pulling away slowly in a straight line, without going over bumps or turning the wheel. Because of this I doubt it could be tyre related. Thanks though:smthumbup

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to say, I found the problem, or rather Mike Ritchie did. It was the aux belt tensioner bearing. I replaced it and I've had no more problems

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think my 4 has this problem

Please could you tell me is there another name for aux belt tensioner bearing

i have looked through my manual and there is no mention of this i am sure its one of the parts noted but rather than replace bits i dont have to it would be nice to go straight to it

whats the cost for replaceing aux belt tensioner bearing

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

i have looked through my manual and there is no mention of this i am sure its one of the parts noted but rather than replace bits i dont have to it would be nice to go straight to it

This is a picture of a tensioner

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m8b17s2573p13208&rs=gb

...although it's from a Pajero

The aux belt is the other large belt other than the cambelt, I think it runs the A/C etc. The tensioner keeps it tight and has a bearing in it. My mechanic took the tensioner off the car, removed the bearing and took it a bearing manufacturer down the road and got a new one. It cost me about £5 for the bearing and £20 to fit it.

·
S.Wales R.O./Electrician
4,144 Posts

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m8b17s2297p10765

That's the aux belt tensioner for a 4, though the bearing method is a lot cheaper if you (or your mech) has the time and the tools.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol, I was agreeing and saying that the link also suggests that the seized tensioner could cause whining and a smell where the belt would rub :smthumbup

·
S.Wales R.O./Electrician
4,144 Posts
lol, I was agreeing and saying that the link also suggests that the seized tensioner could cause whining and a smell where the belt would rub :smthumbup
No probs, lol, the bearing idea is pretty good.

We had a bearing go on our rolling road in work the other day. The mfr wanted £400 for the bearing and case, we went to our local bearing place and they wanted £19 for the same bearing. One big set of hydraulic pullers later and it was fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts