Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I think I have my problem being sorted, but just wanted a second opinion if I can get one. My Evo 6 has developed a whine from between the rear wheels, assuming AYC pump area, the AYC light has come on, but goes away when the car is stopped and restarted, then returns after about five/ten minutes.

I am pretty sure it must be the AYC pump making the whine, and I am booked in for a replacement on Saturday, I just wanted to make sure I am doing the right thing. The whine starts after a couple of minutes of running, is there constantly, even when parked and idling, it does alter its pitch when other electrics are in motion, ie indicators.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
Fuel pump. Diff would only whine when moving. Ayc pump isn't between the rear wheels, would only make a noise when pressurising. It doesn't run continuously. Donkey noises from boot area when turning ( most often a sharp left then sharp right turn will make the noise) means ayc clutch bath oil needs drained and refilled (suggest drain, refill, drain again after 100 miles or so then refill) mine started noises yesterday so will need to it soon. Oh and my fuel pump whines, and my diff is whining now too. Happy evo ownership.

The only other wine you'll get from a rear end is if you've drunk far too much of the stuff. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
if ayc is running all time the relay is stuck on and will cause issues and over pressure the pump destroying it

if you said the whine aas when you turne corners it would be clutch bath but easiest way to check run car up and feel the ayc pump see its running or lift back seats up and listen to fuel pump

id say fuel pump, but does soundlike you have an issue with pump aswell

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I spent the morning down at Auto Torque, the fuel pump was a lot quieter after a 2 hour run down there this morning, so we suspect some crap from a dirty batch of petrol, I did fill up at a different station last week, something to keep an eye on.

The ayc light on turned out to be me being a numpty and fitting an aftermarket steering wheel and boss, which didn't pick up the steering wheel position sensor properly and confused the ayc thinking it was turning when in a straight line, throwing up a fault.

Can't say enough about Auto torque, they were just excellent, really friendly, diagnosed the issue , saved me a fortune with not needing to replace the ayc, and spent a lot of effort and engineering to adapt my boss and wheel to make sure it was all straight and no ayc light, I would 100% recommend them to anyone.

Cracking drive home, with no fault lights and fuel pump now a lot quieter, fingers crossed on that one.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts