Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Next year I'm thinking of going self employed.
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a reliable second hand van to buy.
I am wanting a small van , just big enough to put cement mixer in and tools as I am a builder.
Also one that can take a small roof rack.
Thanks for reading
Justin :mitsi:

·
acting daft since 1969
19,579 Posts
how much money have you got

persoanally id find the biggest van your £££ can find

for me theres only 1 van TRANSIT ,find a 2.4 rwd ,2000 to 2006, MK6 youll be fine ,loads around a good one WONT be rusty ,and the cheap to run

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
persoanally id find the biggest van your £££ can find
Agree, if you go for something small, sooner or later you will wish it was bigger. I'd also look for something with a tow bar already fitted. You may not need it now, but so handy to have just for the 1 or 2 times you do need it

Stu

·
acting daft since 1969
19,579 Posts
tow bars are cheap and easy to fit on a transit, ive fitted dozens ,then again ive had dozens of transits
if you do look at transits try and find something like a 125 350 there a big van but will carry a fair weight and if needed would drag a evo on a trailer

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,846 Posts
My mate Aaron (with 2 evos) also has a Transit Connect (if you are looking for a smaller one and that is what you need) he loves his 3rd vehicle! :handsup:

Reactions: river evo 6

·
acting daft since 1969
19,579 Posts
ive had 2 mk 7s and 3 mk 6s the mk6 jumbo im in now is a very good van allot better than the mk7 i used to run

just buy the best you can find mk6 or mk7 but try and find something with some PROPER service history

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I regretted buying a small van, was a pain, get atleast vivaro size, be pedantic about service history to. I know most of that is obvious but my mates all have transits and they're all solid work horse's my one pals dropped the cam chain last time he was working with me. Cost £1500 for a mates rates engine rebuild. So just be wary of what engine etc they have. His was less common and so engine rebuild was cheaper than swap

·
Premium Member
20,577 Posts
Small vans more frugal/easier parking etc ....but you will have it full to the gills in short time and struggling up hills :mhihi:
Consider a Renault Master if you like rapevans/lack of electrons/dodgy side door /injector issues /DPM replacing and more ......so gets my recomendation surely :D
Comfy though :rolleyes:
Best of luck with new endeavor , ironically ive just gone from co director of my construction/fit out company to self employed sole trader ...god help me :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
It's just a shame you can't get body of the Vivaro and engine of the transit I've been Racing my bike for while and if you could afford go with the vw but you can't go wrong with the transit and stay clear of the older Vivaro there littered with issues

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Trafic/vivaro are a nice size van for a daily,easy parked,roomy and pretty economical,also great value and the later ones have decent spec with sport model.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
There newer the older 1.9 are awful, the only issue I've had with a 2.0 was the gear selector knuckle is plastic and can pop out or wear

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Mk 6 transit if you want a cheap van
Mk 7 terrible in my opinion only before I get told off
Had 2 Mk 7 had problem after problem
My mate does landscape gardening and has a Peugeot partner 11 plate and loves it no problems as yet

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,516 Posts
I own an astra van se150....great for taking the dog out and shopping etc....but waaay too small for anything else including towing... fast tho!

So bit the bullet and bought my dads van (2002 lwb transit) and brian james trailer off him.....its bloody huge (and yellow:handsup::lol:),not quick 115bhp ish,but chuggs along just fine. room enough for 3 peoples track stuff and all camping gear.

I may sell it next year,cos a swb transit 140 sport is the one i want,but may be at the max weight for towing the evo and stuff. (tyres,fuel etc)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts