Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI......

JUST GOT MY NEW EVO7 TODAY. THAT IS WHY I AM POSTING A MESSAGE AT THIS TIME, STAY OUT ALL NIGHT RUNNING IT IN. AFTER 1000 MILES I WILL LIKE TO GET MORE POWER OUT OF MY NEW TOY ( EVO IS MAD). PE, RALLYART, CO-ORDSPORT, ABP, WARRENDER OR RC DEV., WHICH ONE WILL SOME ONE RECOMMAND. I AM LOOKING FOR AROUND 350 BHP, BUT EVERY TUNER SEEMS TO HAVE DIFFERENT IDEAS AND WAYS OF EXTRACTING POWER. I AM REALLY LOST! I WANT RELIABLE POWER AND NOT PAY OVER THE TOPS.

MAD MAD YELLOW

EVO IT'S MAD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I personally have used PE, and am very happy. Every one has their pet tuner. I think to be honest, the best thing to do is pick one close to you, try some simple things and see what kind of relationship you have together. If you are going for 350bhp, that may be something to do progressively, so being close is an advantage, as is having a good relationship.

It seems that every single tuner you mentioned has both a good and bad name on this forum! At the end of the day, most of the parts come from Japan, so it is difficult to go wrong. Take advice from the people here (who have done most of the trial and error for you).

350bhp will mean a new exhaust, downpipe, cat removal, air filter (and sealed box preferably), ECU timing/fuelling changes (Ralliart Sports ECU or PE Remap), bigger fuel pump and increased boost (with a boost controller). Uprated con-rods are a good safety measure too, as would be water injection and uprated hoses.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To some extent I agree with Blade. Working with a tuner close to you is good. I also think it is important that you look at 3 other factors.

1 Overall experience - for instanc, Toney at Ralliart developed the works rally cars before joining Ralliart. Most people would agree he is about the most knowledgable around.

However, this is not enough so....

2 Does the tuning philosophy suit what you want. Are you after BHP or tourque or a balance of both? Do you want a car for blasting around or do you also need it to be drivable in town traffic?

And finally

3 Value for money. You might go to the best tuner in the world but not be prepared to pay their prices. For instance, some on this forum won't use Ralliart because they think the pricing is too high. I personnally don't, which is why I bought an Extreme.

Hope this is of some use.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bottom line really, make your choice and be happy with it. One says good, one says bad, blah blah blah.
Previous results helps as well ;)

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blade,

Just a quick one - you suggest a sealed air box, can you explain further, I currently have HKS air filter (as you probably know)

Also if you are suggesting a seasealed box, i would the also assume that the blanking plate be removed (i think!) from the air intake on the bonnet and a special connection made to the sealed box

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
have a look at http://www.power-engineering.co.uk under the mitsubishi page. They have a very good sealed air box there. Basically it feeds cold air from the bumper into a sealed box, which creates some positive pressure and keeps the air cool before feeding it into the usual outlet. Effectively it wraps around your air filter. Better than it breathing hot engine air :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks 4 that, wsill have a close look, but I suppose the Apexi would need re-tuning again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you only need two phone numbers,

for parts,speak to justin at www.torqueic.com,01233 500384,07931 879908

for tuning,speak to max at www.rcdevelopments.com,(no,s on website)

however ,i doubt either of them will be in business long,as they
DO ring you back,
ALWAYS send all the parts at once
ARE very helpfull (even after they have taken your credit card details),
DONT lie about having parts in stock
CAN add up
AND reply to e-mails

From experience this goes against the grain in this industry !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try Mine's directly through ProSpec in the UK. They have just set up, but they offer top notch stuff from Japan
http://www.prospec-ms.co.uk
Mine's has a great reputation in Japan, and their Evo 7 keeps beating all other demo cars form other tuners

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blade,

What are the advantages of having an open type filter inside a custom air box against the standard airbox with a performance element inside. I know you wont get the noise with the latter but what about the performance ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I run the standard airbox in conjunction with the RA relocation kit, airfilter and reversed dump valve. Makes a big difference in throttle response and pickup. And it dumps quite loud.
If I find the time tonight I'll add a hose from the bumper intake (got a TME) on to the airbox to feed it with cold air.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike,

That's exactly the set-up I want. So does the RA relocation kit fit OK with the standard box ? What performance filter element did you use ?
So you have the alloy pipe from the air-box to the turbo.
Let me know how you got on with the fitment.

Tar.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike

I don't know what filter you are running but running a duct staight from the front to the airfilter forces a lot of **** at the filter or, if the filter is very free breathing, straight at the turbo. Rallairt told me that they have replaced many turbos because of this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Daz

I run it with the RA panel filter. It's the kit with the nice alloy pipe and blue hoses with RA on it. I'm really happy about this setup and the fitment and looks are top notch. Sound is good too especially in connection with the higher boost I run in conjunction with the Sports ECU.

Tonight we checked the air duct of the standard intake. With the relocation kit the air supply is not that bad actually as the cold air comes out of the standard duct pretty close the entrance of the airbox.
My next step is to fit a heat shield between the box and the turbo as it had been done to one of the EVO VI of RC Developements which was featured in the Japanese Performance mag. This should prevent the box of getting hot in summer, so no heat soak.

Simon

you're absolutely right. I would never prolong the duct directly into the box but just near the entrance of the airbox. Also because of water which could lead to engine destruction when driving through standing water. On your car you have a HKS cone air filter. How is it fed with air? Do you have an extra ducting which the standard EVO VII has?

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't done anything because of this concern. I wonder as the duct effectively has air forced through it whether you could put some filtration on that. Msybe I am overcautious and that the damage is only done if the duct leads too close the the filter, but it is worth thinking about!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts