Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased an EVO IV. I have no manuals or info what so ever http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > and amp; therefore
don't even know what oil spec to use, I would welcome information as to what everybody else is
using. Also : where can I get a manual...... which doesn't require re-mortgaging the house ![img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Try Millers they are always a good choice!!!

If you need any more help just let me know!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Darin is having a right old spurt of replies lately!

Oil for the E4-6 should be 10w30 grade. Its up to you what make you go for, Millers is as good as any if you can find it. btw don't go any thinner or your tappets may start to get noisey.

Try Coordsport for the E4/5 manuals you may also like to get the E6 supplement as that also covers stuff that is missing from the E4/5 manuals that should have been in there!

Sorry just realised....the manuals I'm talking about are the Workshop Manuals you probably meant the Owners Manuals?
My owners manual (E6) is in Japanese and to be honest is hardly worth it as you can work out everything for yourself anyway. If you want to know anything specific just ask on here!
I believe if you contact CCC Customer Services they can send you extracts in english of the most important bits from the Owners Manual. I read that in a magazine somewhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did actually mean the worshop manual! thanks for the advice.
I'll be honest though I've never heard of Millers
Best I get cracking and change the oil, as I read more about why
I have warped front discs ........

cheers !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just realized that when my car was serviced at Ralliart, they use Castrol 10w-60. Why??? My car tappets is noticable when cold...

Lawrence

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So is using too thin an oil not only allowing the tappets/hydraulic lifters to be more noisy but also causing wear/damage to them??? I've always used Mobil 1 5W-50 on all my 4g63 motors,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also use the Mobil 5W-50. No noisy tappets just running smooth. I also used this on my modded scoob which are prone to big end failures and guess what never had any problems. I talked to a rally preparator and he uses the same oil for his engines. I also had a chat with the head of R and amp;D of Ralliart Germany and they use the same viscosity. So I stick to the 5W-50 till someone can prove that this is responsible for the noisy tappets or an engine failure. Isn't it strange that also people who use thicker oils can get noisy tappets?

Just my two pence worth of opinion

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nordic

When I bought my old 4 I changed to Shell Helix oil, mainly to stop the tappet noise and never looked back. The car was serviced by a couple of garages, including a Mitsubishi rally prep place, and they all used Shell too.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts