Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Half thinking about a motor home for my motor racing exploits.

Budget is VERY tight (although this could end up being a group purchase with costs shared between a few family members!), but what general sort is best?

I.E. I would have thought a Transit based one would be good because the mechanicals can be easily sourced.

Generally, it needs to be big enough for me and my 4 year old boy, but occasionally, we'll all go - so it's 2 adults, a 4 year old and a 10 month old baby, so shower facilities would be good..........

There are some cheap Winnebagos on ebay (sub £4k), but what's it like running one of these? How easy to get parts/how expensive?

I guess that I'm really talking about running costs.

And it needs to have enough poke to tow around 1 tonne of trailer and racing car.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Rob, try and get a UK based model, spares are easier to get hold of. Make sure it is a diesel version, petrol motorhomes are very thirsty due to the weight and I guess you would be towing a trailer and race car as well. If you are on a tight budget why not buy a van and kit it out yourself, if you are only going to use it at the circuits it will not need to be very luxurious. We used to sleep in the back of our race truck, I bought an ex. health authority Ford Cargo, the car went inside the truck so no need for a trailer, and we slept inside the truck when we were at the circuit. Most circuits have showers nowadays and if you want to cook you can buy a camping cooker with a couple of gas rings.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Barry.

I fancy the truck idea, but then you need to get a tail lift or some LONG ramps (this usually leads to very dodgy looking maneouvres loading/offloading!).

Then it's the cost of fitting it out inside.

What's the score with driving licences for 7.5 tonners these days?

I think what I want really is something where we can have a bit of comfort during race days - you know how boring it can be hanging about between qualifying and racing etc etc..............

Think you're right about UK based model and diesel.

·
Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Not sure about new drivers to 7.5 tonne, I know they were going to change the requirements re. licensing but whether it has gone through or not I don't know. I drive ours on a car licence and it is taxed as a private light goods and is tacho exempt. Ours had a tail lift fitted but we had to extend the lift by fitting folding ramps.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again Barry.

I'm thinking 2.5 diesel, but there are lots of 2.0 petrol engined jobs about.

Fuel consumption aside, which do you reckon would be the best for towing, power-wise?

I'm not towing a saloon car, but even so, the all up weight will be around a tonne, plus the motorhome itself, which I bet will be 2 tonnes.............

Whaddaya reckon? :)

·
Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Go for the diesel, lots of torque and fuel economy will be much better. Several years ago we had two Mercedes vans which we used for towing two race cars plus carrying the wheels and tools etc, the diesel used half the quantity of fuel compared to the petrol version!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts