1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, wanted to know if anyone had some advise on,
what make?
Where to purchase from?
I dnt want a flash exspensive one, something that will do the basics, cd writing, wireless, so on....
Cheers

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Almost any entry level machine will do all those things for you and pretty well. One piece of advice I'd give though is, if you're going to go for a Vista machine, make sure it has at least 2GB's of RAM. The more RAM the better but, Vista will not be very efficient on anything less than 2GB's.
Most of the laptops available, brand wise, are also as good as each other. The amount you want to spend will generally dictate what brand you go for.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a Sony but, that's because they are expensive for the specs and have a load of Vaio crap installed that you'll never but, use and will slow down the machine.
HP tend to make nice PC's and the stuff from Acer is normally pretty good to and cheap.
If I were you, I'd go down to PC World, find a laptop that suits your needs then go and buy it for a lot less online.

Paul
Hi, wanted to know if anyone had some advise on,
what make?
Where to purchase from?
I dnt want a flash exspensive one, something that will do the basics, cd writing, wireless, so on....
Cheers

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost any entry level machine will do all those things for you and pretty well. One piece of advice I'd give though is, if you're going to go for a Vista machine, make sure it has at least 2GB's of RAM. The more RAM the better but, Vista will not be very efficient on anything less than 2GB's. Most of the laptops available, brand wise, are also as good as each other. The amount you want to spend will generally dictate what brand you go for. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Sony but, that's because they are expensive for the specs and have a load of Vaio crap installed that you'll never but, use and will slow down the machine. HP tend to make nice PC's and the stuff from Acer is normally pretty good to and cheap. If I were you, I'd go down to PC World, find a laptop that suits your needs then go and buy it for a lot less online. Paul
thanks, goin to have a look later, how much would u save online? Also is the extended warranty u always get sold worth having on these?
Cheers

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
It depends on what machine you buy and how much it is in the store. For a £400 machine, I'd have thought you could save a minimum of £50 but, most likely more.
I wouldn't bother with the warranty. If it's going to break, it would do in the first year you have it, when it's covered by the manufacturers warranty. In my experience, they very, very seldomly break anyway and 99.9% of the time when they do, it's because it's been dropped etc...

Paul
thanks, goin to have a look later, how much would u save online? Also is the extended warranty u always get sold worth having on these?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Almost any entry level machine will do all those things for you and pretty well. One piece of advice I'd give though is, if you're going to go for a Vista machine, make sure it has at least 2GB's of RAM. The more RAM the better but, Vista will not be very efficient on anything less than 2GB's.
Most of the laptops available, brand wise, are also as good as each other. The amount you want to spend will generally dictate what brand you go for.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a Sony but, that's because they are expensive for the specs and have a load of Vaio crap installed that you'll never but, use and will slow down the machine.
HP tend to make nice PC's and the stuff from Acer is normally pretty good to and cheap.
If I were you, I'd go down to PC World, find a laptop that suits your needs then go and buy it for a lot less online.

Paul
It is worth noting that you can only use 3GB of memory if you are running Vista 32-bit. So if you intend to go for more memory than that, ensure it is running Vista 64-bit.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
For general web browsing you can't beat a netbook such as the Asus EEE 1000H or Samsung NC10. Bung a 2gb stick of Crucial memory in there for 20 notes and you've got a machine that is quite capable IMO.

Acer, Asus and HP have some good deals on at the moment.

Edited to say:- If this is your only machine I wouldn't get a netbook, I'd only get this as a laptop replacment

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
You can use up to 3.5GB of RAM with the 32bit version of Vista but, I see where you're coming from.

Regardless, for a basic machine, 2GB would be enough. If you intend to run multiple apps simultaneously of latest gen games, you'll need more. You'll also need a better processor and graphics card for the latter too.

Paul
It is worth noting that you can only use 3GB of memory if you are running Vista 32-bit. So if you intend to go for more memory than that, ensure it is running Vista 64-bit.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
You can use up to 3.5GB of RAM with the 32bit version of Vista but, I see where you're coming from.

Regardless, for a basic machine, 2GB would be enough. If you intend to run multiple apps simultaneously of latest gen games, you'll need more. You'll also need a better processor and graphics card for the latter too.

Paul
Been reading up on this Paul, it's all a bit of a grey area from what I can see. Some have had 3.5gb, others 3.3gb. SP1 resolved the memory display issue but as has been said, 3+gb ram is really into x64 territory or server OS.

·
Registered
10,906 Posts
Don't know how much you want to spend but Misco have a stonking Sony Vaio at the moment for about £500. LINKY

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Vista max is 4GB but that includes Video RAM, in reality it will use upto 3.5GB for addressable space (+512MB Video RAM). For most peeps however it will be 3GB addressable and 1GB video ram.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive only ever seen vista on someone else's pc, im used to xp, and would prefer to stick with it if possible....Just got in now so wont b goin to pc world now:mad:
Im looking to spend upto £500, but not much more...considered a notebook but again dont know anything about them either, ill still have desktop aswell so hence the amount i want to spend, cheers for replies ill let u know what i end up with,,,,...prob a load of rubbish:lol::smthumbup

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looked at all these late last year ... Actually found that Dell were the most competitive .. starting with a base Inpiron 17 and customising it to add what I needed .. Got a hell of a deal for £500 ... Just went to the Dell site to try to do the same build again to check .. and couldnt create the same specced machine .. so not sure if they are still doing them .. but well worth a ring ..

Would recommend you stay with XP .. and 2gig of RAM will be plenty .. unless you are trying to buy something more future proof .. Would also recommend you buy a machine with the best Gfx card you can afford (onboard gfx are poor at best .. again depending on what you plan to use the machine for) ..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts