Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed some help in choosing an intercooler for my evo 4. I have been looking at verious intercoolers, but what I want to know is much extra bhp am I likely to get from an intercooler and also is it the bigger the better???? I had a think of putting either a e6/e7 intercooler, or a forge intercooler in, as they both are bigger than standard e4 and not too expensive. I had a think of HKS intercooler or a blitz one but the price they are asking for is so stupid that I cannot think of buying them even I have the money. can someone please give me some advice???? thanks

Leon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A bigger intercooler will only give more power if the existing one can no longer cool the charge air properly.
Unless you're really seriously tuning the engine it's not going to be worth much at all. On a 300hp tuned engine it will be worth no more than a couple of hp.

The best thing to do is run a temperature probe in the pipework between the intercooler exit and the inlet manifold. Ideally you want around 45 deg C maximum. If it's much over then your intercooler is too small.

For the money a 6 or 7 one gives you a little more capacity than the evo4 and would be a reasonable upgrade. Not sure how easily they fit a 4 though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts