Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RS
21,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for me to buy new Breakdown cover.
*I've never broken down in my Evo.... knock on wood I won't*

What breakdown cover do you recommend?
What is included in your cover?
How much is it?

Cheers:smthumbup

·
Administrator
29,355 Posts
I've had all 3 of the major brands, AA, RAC and Green Flag.. although I'm with RAC at the mo, (free with a bank account) the AA is by far the best IMHO.

They have never had a problem coming onto a circuit - but I did find out at Donny last year, (to my astonishment) if there is just panel damage, they won't recover :confused: as they are a 'break down' service!

But buck for buck - as it's you and not the car covered, they are the best that I have used. :D (and recovered a few of my brothers / husbands from circuits too ;) )

·
Registered
26,575 Posts
who do you bank with kins

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RS
21,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Greenflag looks to be the cheapest the last time I looked.
heard good things about greenflag :smthumbup
Thanks for the input Shell. What makes you feel The AA is best?
Have you known any to come to a sprint / trackday and refuse recovery? I'd like to find someone who would recover me from trackside if that's available.

I fancy getting coverage that covers me and not the car and one that will recover to a place of my choice.

I've had all 3 of the major brands, AA, RAC and Green Flag.. although I'm with RAC at the mo, (free with a bank account) the AA is by far the best IMHO.

They have never had a problem coming onto a circuit - but I did find out at Donny last year, (to my astonishment) if there is just panel damage, they won't recover :confused: as they are a 'break down' service!

But buck for buck - as it's you and not the car covered, they are the best that I have used. :D (and recovered a few of my brothers / husbands from circuits too ;) )
Halifax - they do a Ulitimate reward account for 12.50 a month which includes "A great range of account benefits, including worldwide multi-trip family travel insurance, RAC car breakdown cover and mobile phone insurance as well as other great benefits and exclusive offers."

I wonder what sort of RAC coverage it is and if its worth it. hmmm

who do you bank with kins

·
Registered
26,575 Posts
my bank account caovers my phones aa cover and holiday insurance and i've used all 3 been fine every time

·
Registered
962 Posts
Check the cover you get with the bank before you need it, I was with Natwest and had green flag cover but when I actually needed it, found out it was only for a 10mile recovery off the motorway and then have to wait for a garage to pick you up!! Not cool, luckily part of my clutch had broken meaning I couldnt disengage it. Full throttle up shifts and blipping down shifts all the way back to manchester from cornwall!!

I`m with the AA now, £78 for the year, covers me and not the car, with homestart etc! Only thing that was offered that I didnt get was a warrenty on parts should I break down! Didnt seem worth it!!

Also got a letter through from them yesterday saying I can add another person to my policy for the rest of its duration - till nov. for only £10! Cant fault it

·
Administrator
29,355 Posts
I've know a lot of times that the RAC has refused to come onto circuits, or even collect cars from the road if they know they have been on circuits. Also - it's the car that is covered not me - so if I'm driving something else and need them, they won't come out!

Never known AA to refuse, except that once because it was panel damage :confused: The car was drivable apart from bits all hanging off! (obviously couldn't be driven on the road as the damage was pretty bad)

Have no experience of Green Flag re:circuits - but have not had good experience with them on the road before - hence going back to the AA (although that was some time ago now, they might be better now)

·
Administrator
29,355 Posts
If you have RAC cover with your bank, just check they will collect circuit side - no need to pay for another one if you already have that :confused: (It's what I have with Barclays)

edited to add - my RAC is full cover :D

·
Registered
26,575 Posts
If you have RAC cover with your bank, just check they will collect circuit side - no need to pay for another one if you already have that :confused: (It's what I have with Barclays)

good point well maade my bank uses AA

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
i have RAC full cover, and have been brilliant. theyve picked me and my bike up on many occassions after punctures! lol. and sorted my car out twice after a central locking fault and a dead battery.

·
Administrator
29,355 Posts
i have RAC full cover, and have been brilliant. theyve picked me and my bike up on many occassions after punctures! lol. and sorted my car out twice after a central locking fault and a dead battery.
Yep, can't fault them on the road :D (as long as it's my car!) but have known many a time when they refuse to come on circuit - and that is what Kins needs :)

·
Premium Member
16,921 Posts
I looked into this a few years ago and always the AA comes up trumps and ive always stuck with them, especially if you want a no questions asked recovery all the way home and its about £90-100 for the year i think, others do cheaper cover but not many will take you all the way home, although i havent searched for awhile so maybe they do now.

Also as Shell says its the person rather than the car so your covered even if your in someone elses car that breaks down, also if you have multiple cars or a bike its all in same cover.....crikey i should work for AA :crackup:

Ian

·
Registered
2,696 Posts

+1 Barclays additions active account

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
i'm with Churchill, £13.50 per month, covers all 3 of our cars plus myself and my wife as passengers in anyone else's car.

I've used it twice, once with Evo (wire came off starter motor - fixed there and then) and with our other car when we had a puncture and couldn't get wheel off.

No problems at all, they use local garages to come out to you.

cheers

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I went for the AA - Roadside, Relay and Homestart (everything bar parts basically). Covers me not the car too.

99 quid per year - pay monthly no interest - 8.25 per month

That will do me.
Yeh the Halifax Ultimate Reward RAC cover is ****e - its the whole you have to be x amount away from home, will only take you x amount of miles etc (I cant remember the specifics - but I signed up to the mobile phone cover :) )

However my parents have a family policy which I'm on, with all the home start stuff, they recovered the car to Brighton for me a couple of weeks ago as it had burst a power steering hose (was a shame that the mechanic who came out couldn't be bothered to sort it out!) and they've had no problems on the other occasions (Clutch went in Yoevil, recovered to Brighton and Clutch fork broke in Norfolk and they recovered to Brighton) Luckily my dads a mechanic!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The halifax bank cover is Roadside assistance only, (10 mile tow max, vehicle must be 1/4 mile away from home address, Halifax's doing not RAC).
Barclays additions accounts come with full RAC cover and is very good (replacement vehicle, recovery, home start etc...)
To be honest green flag are **** dont carry any parts or diagnostic equipment and half of the employees are just drivers not mechanics. They only seem to be good at moving cars from one location to another.
AA's terms and conditions state that they will not attend any vehicle that is not broken down on a public highway (Trackdays etc...) And the upcoming AA strike will leave thousands of people stranded.
Personally I have never had a problem with Rac, Really knowledgable patrols who carry all the right equipment.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Autoaid.

£37 a year covers me and my wife on any car we are travelling in.

Will tow you anywhere you want in the UK (no 10 mile limit as with some of the bank ones - been caught out with that before and had to pay £140 to get the Evo towed back from near Silverstone).

Drawbacks:
You pay the breakdown driver and claim back (I've used them 3 times in the last 3 years, and have always had payment within 10 days, including flat bedding my Accord Type R home from West Wales when the Rad burst - would have otherwise cost £350)

Don't cover you for stupidity (run out of petrol, lock your keys in the car, can't change your spare wheel).

More details:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/roadside-recovery

Here's a quote from the article:
"A couple wanting recovery & tow, relay cover and home-start from the AA would normally pay around £150. Yet AutoAid provides the same for just £37 a year, around half the price even of the AAs' basic cover. "

Frankly I wouldn't pay tuppence for the "service" offered by AA / RAC - but if you really have to, you can get big cashback through topcashback (and probably quidco).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts