Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as you all know, I have 330mm AP disks with 6 pot calipers and 4 pot AP rears on standard discs, with Pagid RS-42s all round.

Braking is phenomenal. Now the following is my opinion, but I would like other people's feedback:-

The 362mm weigh significantly more. The calipers are the same, so the brake force does not change. The disc is bigger, so will not get quite so hot. As heat isn't an issue, with the brake ducts, the benefits seem low compared to the increase in unsprung weight. Admittedly, a harsher pad would get the discs hotter, pushing the balance in favour of the 362mm discs - but then the discs would wear quicker. Therefore, there is no benefit in me going for the 362mm kit given that I have the 330 already.

Fitting 362mm discs with bigger calipers would make a difference, say the 8 pot AP watercooled calipers. This means even more unsprung weight, which isn't good, but the braking should be better. Ultimately it is down to the pads, and harsher ones will be required. This may not give as good a modulation as the current setup. Would also introduce an imbalance as the rear would be underbraked relative to the front. A bias adjuster would solve that, but that would mean repiping the brakes to get rid of the diagonal split, and new master cylinders too. That may mean losing the servo.

In the end, I am not sure the extra braking would be that not noticable, given the lighter weight of my car - i.e. on tarmac, I would start to exceed grip levels if I braked any harder than I already do, even with slicks.

So am I right in thinkin there is no point, and I should well alone?

I don't have a brake problem, just itching to get my chequebook out again :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
tony - get yourself a carbon fibre steering wheel from Reverie.co.uk and some body panels custom made from titanium instead. Less weight is the way to go for better braking and better speed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blade,
I'm willing to test the water cooled calipers for you, simply order some and have them snet to my home, if they are any good I will let you know and you can go and buy some yourself

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What will the bigger brakes do for you lap times ?

Half a second per lap ? Maybe !

How much is the 8-pot watercooled kit ? £6K ?

Is it really worth it ? Errr, not in my opinion, if you
were competing in the evo id say it was.

If only there was a track race series for Evo's /Scoobies over hear !

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony,maybe you should have a chat with Jenny,as I mentioned earlier Clive ran 362mm discs with Titanium 6 pot AP Calipers,could be worth a look.

Barry

· Registered
53 Posts
I tried doing a search on brake bias but couldn't really find anything on this subject, and this is the closest I could find.

Has anyone tested if there is an adverse effect on brake bias if you use only the 6 pots in the front and leave the stock Brembos in the back?

· Super Moderator
17,953 Posts
You will find the majority of people on here have fitted AP 6 pots to the font without upgrading the rears without any major problems.

Depending on who you talk to apparently good results can be had from upgrading the rears to AP 4pots - though some dissagree.

I personally run Pagid RS29 in the front (endurance pad) and Pagid RS14 in the rear (race pad) to make up for the fact i have AP's on the front but the standard Brembos on the rear - really works well for me, infact my rear Brembo's have turned yucky brown with the heat as the RS14's just go on, and on working complimenting the less agressive RS29's in the front. :)

· Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Really looking long and hard at the AP fronts at the moment.

Was chatting wif another bloke today and he told me the Endless mini 6 pot brake kit was available at about the same price as the APs. Wonder if anyone has any experience with them :)

· Registered
1,605 Posts
blade,

good to see you back on here. i was wondering wot had happened to you. i did read of your 330csi exploits with ed. good stuff.

onto the ap brakes - even with the same caliper the 362mm will give better braking than the 330mm as although you will get the same clamping force it is on on a larger radius hence greater braking torque. however the 362mm will weigh more.

i got my ap 330mm today and was amazed at how much they weigh.

therefore i would say that with a lightened car as you have i am not sure that the 362mm will really give that much improvement.

be cool. are you cool. i am cool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.