Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new tyres and have decided to go for S03's as I'll only be using em on the road.

I live in Cambridge, can anyone recommend somewhere within a 100 miles to go to buy them and get them fitted (somewhere round the north of the M25 maybe?)

ta Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This might not be of help to you but maybe others in the area would like to know. The place I use is Bracknell Tyre and Battery. They are 107 miles from you but are very cheap. I know of people around the M25 who use Elite which might be closer.

Bracknell;
http://www.imoc.co.uk/dealer/dealercomments.asp?DealerID|EQU|157 and amp;county|EQU|Berkshire

Elite;
http://www.imoc.co.uk/dealer/dealercomments.asp?DealerID|EQU|182 and amp;county|EQU|Essex

Or maybe one of these will suit you;
http://www.imoc.co.uk/dealer/DisplayB.asp?bSearch|EQU|Y and amp;chkService|EQU|1 and amp;Count|EQU|8

(apologies for linking to a non-EVO site...grovel....)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just so you know what to expect, I pay £112 for a 225/45/17 Bridgestone SO3
including VAT, fitting and balancing from Kwik Fit in Ashford, Kent.

Pretty bloody impressive price, extremely impressive tyre, superb dry grip,
good wet grip, and take a fair bit of track abuse too.....

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bit out of your way but as someone mentioned them I thought it might be worthwhile posting this. I just got a quote for various tyres from Micheldever, no doubt they will beat any cheaper price quoted elsewhere and they do deliver:
As requested here follows prices on specified size

225/45 ZR 17
Yokohama AVS Sport £ 116.85 each
Toyo Proxes T1-S Do not stock
Bridgestone SO3 PP £ 110.97 each
Falken FK451 £ 83.95 each
Goodyear Eagle F1 £ 87.47 each

The above prices are subject to V.A.T. @ 17.5%

Full four wheel alignment £ 49.35 which will cover first hours labour
( this is normally sufficient ) price includes V.A.T.

Four wheel alignment is by appointment only

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, nice response thanks everyone, not sure where I'm gonna go but have friends down in woking so I could make an excuse to drop in on them :)

Ta
Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aidy,
Micheldever Tyres do have a very good reputation otherwise I wouldn't have even considered them. Like finding a good garage for repairs finding someone who is good for geometry set-up can only really be done by reputation and personal recommendations. I have heard enough good things about Micheldever Tyres to be happy to go to them. If anyone knows any different then let me know (I know a few Evo owners have used them before, any comments welcome).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was originally quoted £790 by my local Kwik-Fit for 4 Eagle F1s (all in) and when I told them that Micheldever would do them for £350, they said they couldn't get anywhere near that price. However, they 'phoned me the next day and said they would do them for £420, so it pays to haggle. And, if anyone is interested, the F1s are brilliant, much quieter than my original SO1s and absolutely superb in both wet and dry (and they look great as well :D). If I remember correctly, they came out almost neck and neck in the Autocar tyre test, when compared to the SO2.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Micheldever did my setups.

They have dedicated laser setup bays and they certainly spent some time on mine.

Gave me a computer printout of the setup as well.

I was happy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
iam needing some new tyres shortly . what makes do you reccommend ? i have so2s at the moment . i dont do track days or anything just everyday driving.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heave Ho - I'll admit I haven't heard anything either way about Micheldever except that they do cheap tyres (they have an alloy wheel showroom as well which is nice). RE alignment I don't know anyone who has gone there for it. My choice not to use them is personal prejudice really. The guys who work at Micheldever will be trained to use the equipment (obviously) and alignment is mainly the machine telling you what is out and by how much, they bang the right bits and knock it back in line. Powerstation, on the other hand, are a performance garage that deal in all aspects of performance cars. Not only do they know how the equipment works (they also have laser alignment) they actually understand the concepts of car geometry. Granted the guys at Micheldever might as well but I wouldn't think they know as much as a dedicated performance place (as i said, that is just personal prejudice). But as you say, it's personal experience and word of mouth that you should rely on. I know many who use Powerstation. I had them do my alignment the day before a wet handling course (with Pro Driving Developments) and the guy was so impressed my with car he took everyone else out in it to see how the car *should* handle (we all had the same car on the day). The only other experience I've had with Micheldever is when I wanted to buy alloy wheels. The guy was only more than willing to take a grand from me for alloys that wouldn't be suitable for my car. The only reason I found out they wouldn't suit my car is cos I got them to phone the manufacturers while I was there.

But now I've heard that they do a good job on alignment I'll probably give them a go as driving all the way to Powerstation is a bit of a trek.

Homerdog - I was quoted £600 for 4 S02s from Kwik Fit and £800 from ATS. I got them for about £400 from Bracknell T and amp;B. If I'd phoned Kwik Fit and told them that they would have matched the price but the way I see it why should I give them the money? I'd rather give it to the company that gives me the good price to start with. After all, what Kwik Fit are saying is that they admit they were going to rip you off to the tune of 400 notes.

negri - S03s are supposed to have better grip and wear less. I get 7000 miles from my rear S02s and 21000 from my fronts. I now have S03s all round but it's too early to judge wear rates.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One more thing :)

The reason I don't go to Micheldever for tyres is the length of time you have to wait and the fact that they use ugly external balance weights. I also got them to refurb my alloys and within 6 months or so it's started to flake and peel already. However that could be down to tyre fitters not taking the best care when changing the rubber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anytime the Falkens. The S03 is plain crap (I used them on the road and track was more than happy when they were gone), the S02 wears it shoulders off faster than you can refill the car. If you don't mind road noise (who does in an EVO) get the Falkens. No fancy brand but the exceeds the grip of the S03 by far, more precise, stable and doesn't melt down as the S03. Always drove Bridgies tyres but after the S03 was a real letdown and no improvement over the S02.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW never got more than 4000 miles (road) out of any of those tyres. Wonder how you can get 21000 miles out of a tyrehttp://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > on a performance car.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Using Toyo Proxes T1-S here. Honestly can't imagine fitting anything else ever again on this car. They transformed it over SO-1's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My car is more fast road than performance :) It's mid engined, 170BHP via RWD so the fronts don't do that much. I only do about one track day a year in it so don't do that much heavy breaking either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts