Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I leave my car sitting for a week or so the battery is flat...its an Evo 8, just over a year old (import). It has been getting gradually worse so now its flat after about 2 or 3 days.

Any1 else have this problem? Ive got a replacement battery but aint fitted it yet

Regards
G

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
If it's left for too long then the alarm can end up draining the battery. This is compounded by the fact the Mitsi use a couple of D cells for the battery to save weight, and therefore it won't hold the same potential charge that a half ton Jag powering monstrosity will.

I'm guessing that yours is probably already on its way out which is why it's dying so quickly now, so I'd get the new one in asap. In addition, to be honest I wouldn't run any consumer item from the car (radio, tyre inflator etc.) without the engine already running, and I certainly wouldn't expect the standard battery to cope well with a high power (400W+) ICE install even with the engine running.

Might be worth considering a battery relocation kit and fitting a larger battery at the same time, if you have hungry electrical equipment fitted already. While you might gain a few kg in weight you'll also gain a lot of leeway in power consumption without over stressing the battery ;)

If you want to keep the standard battery fitting then just get something that'll fit a Nissan Micra (small terminal). I'm using a Halfords one (whatever their higher output / "winter" version is) and that's been fine for over a year :cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
battery

Thanks for hte info so far...I did a bit of research on here so go the HB 054 battery that other members recommended. I will get it fitted and see if it improves the situation....will let u's know

Cheers
G

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been through two batteries in three years of ownership, with exactly the symptoms you describe. Why these keep failing is beyond me, but considering it is the same battery fitted to a Nissan Micra may have something to do with it. I would have thought you would need something a bit beefier than something designed to turn over a puny 1litre engine?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
mark morris said:
mine goes flat if left for a fortnite or so, no prob with a week though
mark
Same with mine !

Halfords do a Draper battery top up charger for £19.99 !
It will not charge a flat battery but will overcome the drain from alarms etc. you can leave it fitted for years acording to the instructions.

It looks just like a mobile phone charger, with crocodile clips on the leads !

I now use it when ever the car is left for a few days, and have no more problems :)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hiya mate.

Ive got exactly the same problem with my evo 7 's battery. 2-3days and its nearly gone. Bought a RAC charger with trickle capacity but its just a pain to use all the time as i have to plug it in for about half hour before i go out. The problem is i dont want to go out and buy a battey and have that drain too, especially if something else is sapping the power.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I've not had the problem yet on my VIII, runing a fair sized amp also. Just lucky I guess! :)

I think I'll put a High capacity battery in the boot when the second amp goes in, just to be sure.

I've already run 4gauge through to the boot so that should be fine for the relocation job.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
289 Posts
123456 said:
Same with mine !

Halfords do a Draper battery top up charger for £19.99 !
It will not charge a flat battery but will overcome the drain from alarms etc. you can leave it fitted for years acording to the instructions.

It looks just like a mobile phone charger, with crocodile clips on the leads !

I now use it when ever the car is left for a few days, and have no more problems :)
Yep same here battery dead after a week.

The Draper charger is excellent not had a problem since :)

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
proberbally old news.But if your old white tommy wheels are looking knackerd as mine were try tcut it does everything at once,gets rid of all the crap and pollishes.ten minutes each wheel and your done.sorry not on topic but wheel dirt ****es me off :confused:

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
ypvs said:
proberbally old news.But if your old white tommy wheels are looking knackerd as mine were try tcut it does everything at once,gets rid of all the crap and pollishes.ten minutes each wheel and your done.sorry not on topic but wheel dirt ****es me off :confused:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've had battery problems on many cars because of huge Ice installs, and now I only recommend one thing. Get a split charge system - you get a box, 1 wire to the alternator, and 2 outputs. Leave the standard battery connected to 1 output. Connect a battery as beefy as you want (I have 2 ice-spec ones on the evo which provide 5x as much total storage as the 1 up front) to the second output. From then on any accessories including the alarm should be wired up to the secondary battery.

The split charge system ensures there's no drain on the standard battery of any kind. You could play the sound system till the other one died, then leave the car for half a year, come back and it would still start.

I had got used to carrying my snapon jumpstart box around with me every time I went to the car until I discovered this and since then I haven't had to jumpstart a car once!

And if you want you can have the second battery completely removable for trackdays etc (leave the alarm on the main battery in this case). Two cars in one! :coolsm:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just had mine replaced under warranty, although my dealer told me it still passed the Mitsi test, it would last about 5 days then it was flat :(

they told me that the new battery is slightly bigger and a higher capacity :)

So far so good :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts