Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just wondering how do I know when is the best rpm to change gears? I have a 94 Lancer GSR with 14 psi boost. How can I tell the rpm has reached its peak in the power output spectrum??? Other than doing a dyno test if that is anything. Or staring at my speedo and looking for a null, while trying to drive straight.

M.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have the standard TD04 then there isn't much point in holding gears much past 6k, no matter how much boost you are running it starts to run out of puff as you get near the redline. If you have a decent intake/exhaust arrangement you can extend the useful powerband by about 500rpm but remember, one of the advantages of the smaller turbo is the comparative lack of lag, changing at around 6k in most gears will still leave you 'in boost' when you change up.

I tried changing up later at Crail (1/4 mile) last year and lost about 0.2-0.3 seconds and you can see from this rolling road plot that peak power is at 6000rpm (the road stops plotting when power begins to tail off)

This run was done running 12psi, before I got my decat exhaust and when the car was desperately needing serviced but the 4G93 and TD04 will produce pretty similar curves even if the ulimate figures vary!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
surely you should be looking at the pwer at the wheels? where the actual drive is. this is at lower rpm than the flywheel! does this change depending on which gear you are in?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.