Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My '92 Lancer 1800RS has not been behaving too well recently. The turbo does not seem to be boosting much any more, there is a louder whistling which suggests a leak of some sort and the rate of oil consumption has shot up. Any clues what the problem could be?
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Slowlane,
Sounds to me like the turbo bearings have given up.
This will mean that the oil that normally lubricates them will be passing straight into your intake and into the engine. It will also mean that the turbo won't be spinning particularly well and not developing boost.

I suggest that you don't drive the car anymore until you have had the turbo removed, stripped down, inspected and rebuilt or, if necessary, replaced.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea what turbo options are available for the '92 GSR (4G93)? Changing it would be a good thing (its done over 120,000 kms) I would be after something as close to the stock item as possible and the relatively lag free response of the small turbo is one of its nice aspects. How much would they cost as well?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If u remove the air inlet connection 2 the turbo , the 1 that is fed by the airfilter , u will b able 2 c the compressor wheel of the turbo , it looks like a fan. Try 2 move it from side 2 side , u shud not b able 2 feel much play , perhaps the slightest hint of , any more and the turbo is shot. If the problem is recent it shud b possible 2 rebuild it , tho it cannot really b done if the exhaust or compressor housings r damaged by the wheels .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.