Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading about wheel technology and manufacture on the net ,has posed a question.
Wheel spoke venting is an integral part of the building of a good wheel .
Air gets drawn in from outside the arch to help cool down the brakes and hub,
Could it be that the standard E6 wheels contribute to the warped disc senario?
Just a thought!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I remember reading that BMW had made a wheel that acted like a fan drawing in air to cool the brakes.I think it was on the old M5.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard the same. Can't remember where, but someone said that Super T's act like a solid flat surface at higher speed, and therefore don't allow air in to cool brakes. however kevin has warped his fronts on his Mak, and that has the enkei wheels on it.

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wheels fitted to the e6 zero fighter/extreme are supposedly of the venting type that assist cooling of the brakes. These are very open with 5 twin spokes
and made from a magnesium alloy.
As to the OZ Superturismos fitted to the six, unknown !
The spokes do curve out slightly, that may pull in air towards the disc.

-Mr Mime

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheels and brakes normally vent the other way - air in through the centre at the back then out via the brake cooling vanes and then out through the spokes.
Group B cars used to have carbon kevlar vaned attachments to the wheels to spin more air out of the wheel - old grp C sportscars too.

A good set of brake ducting always helps prevent warping and is easy to rig up for a lot less than a new set of discs. However I think you'll find that the discs are just badly designed from a thermal stressing point of view. Their large diameter certainly doesn't help the warp resistance.

The only other thing that might prevent warping is careful cooling down of the discs before permanently stopping - the brake pad covered portion when stationary is insulated and remains a hot spot with higher thermal strains - ie. it is expanded compared to the rest of the cooled disc - this thermal strain can be enough to permanently buckle the disc. Discs with alloy bells don't suffer as much internal thermal strain as the more flexible centre allows even expansion of the ring type disc. Standing at the traffic lights with the brakes on after stopping from 100|PLS| certainly doesn't help keep the discs straight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Compomotive TH2 wheels are designed to assist with brake ventilation. Although primarily aimed at motorsport use they might be a worthwhile investment for heavy track use. They only go up to 17 though I think.

Kevin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
Like Al says brakes are vented out rather than the wheel pulling in air ie: Race cars braking hard send clouds of brake dust out of the wheels.
I'm not sure what brake cooling ducts the VI has but I used to own a Renault 21 turbo (don't laugh!!) which had ducts running from under the front bumper directly to the front brakes. A friend of mine also had a 21 turbo and on a trackday up north he warped the discs!, Guess what items where missing from his carhttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >. We both had new discs fitted a few weeks before so they where covered under warranty. He also got a set of ducts and never had any problems even after a good few trackdays.
Regards,
Paul.C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate to say it but my vito van has serious venting for the brakes .i can look through to the inner side of the disc.I brake exteme with 3/4 tonne loads and my disc don't warp.
Perhaps rather than develop further brake discs or buy an Ap kit .
IT WOULD BE CHEAPER TO RE_VENT the existing system.Brembo are as reckognised in motor sport as AP,perhaps even more so ?
Huge air in ,vented outward through the wheels and underbody.
Whether this would cause instability at high speed [turbulance].
But if as explained with outward venting of wheels this should not be a problem.
Perhaps a little more noisey,but it may work?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts