Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone describe the visual or aural effects which accompany a wheel bearing on its way out. I have a noise similar to what you get when driving over smooth asphalt, but it's happening all the time. I have just changed to Toyos so that might be it, but on the other hand it might be something more sinister?? TIA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jack up the car and see how much play there is in the wheel. You'll know if the bearing has gone!!

Best of luck

Naunt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should also first become apparent in corners, usually when turning in one direction only.

Sounds like a squeal or howl iirc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's a rumbling that seems connected to road speed, not gear speed, and doesn't change when you steer right or left lock - then it's two gearbox bearings. You'll also feel it through the pedals.

Mine have just been changed because of this. Apparently, it's been seen before on an E5, so it's not common but it does happen. And (of course!) it's expensive to fix!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The noise IS your TOYO'S !!!!!!!!

I have EXACTLY the same thing happening on my car. I have replaced ALL my wheel bearings AND the prop bearings to try and erradicate this woooh noise and it still remains. The gearbox has had bearings too AAAAAND I have changed my diff !!!!

I am convinced that the noise that sounds like a bearing is actually tyre noise now !!!

I used to sell cars and have NEVER heard tyre noise like this before. It sounds like a faint worn bearing noise which is mainly audible on smooth tarmac.
Hope this helps

Jonathan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts