Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats better and whats the main differences between the 4 or the 6 paddle clutches.

thanks and does the superlight flywheel not sacrifice your to speed and it wont mess up the gearbox would it.

thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol @ simon hahahah good one simon, i posted a message for u mate, whats it like driving an extreme just found out u have one, whats the main diff between the gsr and extreme mate

thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The more paddles the better for driveability (smoother take up). A low number of paddles means a sudden take up (i.e. an asshole on the road!) but usually they can take higher torque than clutches with a large number of paddles. You also need to take into account the friction material used. I would only consider a paddle clutch for a car used for motorsports events or a dedicated 1/4 miler machine, others may disagree of course but I use my car everyday so no thanks! Twin or multi-plate clutches offer smoother take up than paddle clutches with high torque capacity, likewise for carbon/kevlar clutches.

A lightweight flywheel reduces the mass the engine has to turn. This means the power used to normally turn a heavier flywheel can instead be used to do the more important job of turning the wheels! The result is faster acceleration, especially in lower gears. The same theroy applies with reducing the weight of components that affect the reciprocating/rotational mass of the engine (e.g. lightweight pistons/con rods or a lightweight crank). Due to the reduced mass the momentum of the engine will also be less but that will only be apparent if you use engine braking.

A lightweight flywheel will not affect the gearbox :) but a paddle clutch certainly won't improve it's life span :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks alot heave ho man thats the best advie anyone has ever given me cool, i sat on sams evo 7 onyl he can drive it with a race clutch he has a twin plate, he gave a guy a shot the guy couldnt drive it lol sam was an expert at it, thanks again mate that was cool, so u reckon the paddle will mess up the gearbox, i will tell u why i was gonn aget it mate, mine has an organic, it already had it when i bought the car, see i do a lot of 1st gear starts, thats the problem and the clutch slips sometimes, i try to take on the motorbikes just to see the reaction of those bikers :D, i was a biker myself, i luv bikes, so i just do that just for the fun of it and now it started slipping sometimes.

so pls if u can give me more advice of how to sort that problem out.

thanks alot buddy :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Moses

You get used to a paddle or twin plate clutch pretty quickly. I drove with a twin plate for 6 months in London traffic! Yes, it was a pain, but it can be done.

As for only just finding out I have a 7 Extreme, the clue is in the name ;) The car is based on a GSR, but the engine has been taken out and rebuilt using forged pistons and rods, HKS induction, complete H and amp;S exhaust and lots of minor tweeks to get the torque up . The boost is 1.5 bar held to 6000 then 1.4 bar. My engine is supossed to produce 340 bhp and 350 lbs/ft of torque and the car has a 25% uprated clutch to handle it. When I last had it on a RR on a v. hot (ambient 25 degrees C) day it managed 350 bhp but was a little down on torque. Heat was probably responsible for that.

The suspension has grp n bushes all round with lowered and uprated springs and strut braces. Might not be as good as Claudius's set up, but not bad. The brakes have vented disks, upgraded hoses, a master cylinder support. It has the sexiest wheels, Team Dynamics 18 inch.

How does it drive? Well, a cross between a pussy cat and a tiger. Purrs along in traffic or on the motorway with only a slight noice increase from the exhaust. But boot it and its a different matter. So far, I haven't found anybody on the road fast enough or brave enough to stay with me (except when I followed Blade and Droid up North on the motorway. What speed did your speedo read, Blade ? :D) Its not that I am a great driver, its that I drive a well sorted mota. All that and a 3 year, manufacturers style warranty which, if I tune the car further with Ralliart, will remain in force. Am I a happy camper? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats cool simon, extremes r nice do u have half white and red too, i thought claude had a tme.

thanks again :) peace

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moses
I have a black 7 Extreme. 10 have been built of which 9 are black and 1 is silver. The white with red car is an Extreme S based on a 7 RS. It is lighter, has a more powerful engine and a few other tweeks.

You are right, Claudius has a TME but his suspension certainly isn't standard. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:D Simon, I would tend to agree that your OEM dampers with uprated springs are not as good as custom built dampers with Öhlins hydraulics! ;)

Oh, never told you this, but I am really happy for you that you have a 3 year warranty on your car and that that gives you so much peace of mind! :) It's very important to some people, I know people like you and am glad it makes you feel good and safe :)

Oh, got a question for you mate: you agree that the only advantage the 7 has over the 6 is increased body shell rigidity, right? (dont tell me about ACD, I dont buy it). What do you think happens to my car's rigidity if I get it seam welded and a roll cage welded in? :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Simon - we should do the journey again now as I don't have any mph reading in the car at all :D

Claude - rollcage|PLS|seam weld, it will be much stiffer than the 7 - but there are two advantages the 7 has that the 6 cannot have (well not without huge expense). First is a longer wheelbase, and second is longer suspension travel at the rear (which has always been a prob with the 6 which is why it is difficult to get the car low)

I have driven a 7 (very powerful one) and it just is not raw! It reminded me of an M3 or M5. All the choppiness (which I like :D) is gone. It is big, heavy and smooth. Great road car without a doubt. If they spent a bit more cash on the interior then it would be a real M3 rival.

Of course an Extreme S is a completely different kettle of fish! Just my opinion, so don't flame me :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Moses

Yes, I have a rear strut brace as well. Because they didn't hav one in stock when my car was built, it was fitted at the first service. I could feel a difference, with the car more stable under braking and overall better ballanced.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Simon,

I was reading again the Extreme S specs(I should have known them by now) and I got confused about what is included and what is not :)

If the rear strut brace made all this difference then I guess I should try it :D

Do you have an extreme plaque in your car :rolleyes: ?

Alex.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts