Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does eny1 know what valve is best for EVO 5? Want sumthing loud but not too whoosh! was thinking turbosmart?
any suggestions?

Thanx

·
Registered
224 Posts
In terms of BOV the general consensus on here seems to be that the standard factory fit valve is the best one for a standard engine. If you change it you will see no improvement in performance and probably even lose a little bit as the engine is taking air into account that is no longer there i.e. it's being vented to atmosphere instead of back into the engine.
The only reason to fit one on a standard engine is for the sound it makes and the same two names come up each time this is asked and they are HKS or Blitz.
Some people also experience idle problems and stalling with a VTA valve but there is no hard and fast rule. Fit a Blitz on one car and it runs ok, fit it to another seemingly identical car and it stalls when you lift off at high revs. You just have to suck it and see I'm afraid.
From memory the two valves I mentioned will set you back around £200.

PS: You will need to change the standard valve if you up the boost as it tends to leak if you go much over 1 bar but you can also buy aftermarket valves that vent internally just like the standard valve does if you dont want the noise or the idle problems.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheerz Daz,
slighlty gutted cuz was lookin forward to sum noise but by what you say its abit iffy!! mite go for blitz cuz every1s got the HKS BOV!
So why do the rallycars have the chatter on lift off? isn't that sum sought of BOV??

Thanks

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
You ideally want a BOV that feeds some air back into the MAF sensor so you dont get any idling/stalling problems.

The only two of that I know can do this are the APS one or the Go Fast Bits one. The Go Fast Bits one is more expensive but you can dial in as much or as little sound as you want :)

As said though dont realy need one until your running 1.6 bar boost or above.

Matt
:)

·
Registered
884 Posts
As said above/before............factory unit is ok upto circa 1.5 - 1.6 bar, where it has been found to leak..............APS do a dual vent one, which acts as a re-circ valve, venting back into the system(quiet) and as boost is increased vents to atmosphere.......so best of both worlds................tho' not sure how load it is or what boost it requires.....I think it's adjustable.not sure.....but do know it's about £160

·
Registered
518 Posts
The bailey DV26 which i have on mine is working a treat.
Its a twin piston valve which as far as im aware, lets some air back in to get around the air flow meter which solves the idling problems and stalling.

Im not sure if others have had any problems with the valve im using but i've had no stlling or idling problems at all.

Sounds sweet too :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Also just to add, I fitted a blitz jobbie to mine and was lucky in that I havent had any idle problems at all. I found a second hand one off here to keep the cost down rather than buy a new one just incase I did get stalling and had to take it off.

In terms of sound, its loud as hell and scares grannies up to a distance of at least 100 feet :D

·
Registered
908 Posts
I to am running a Bailey DV26 and it lets the car run perfectly... No lumps stalling....

It does let a small amount of air into the system however through the first piston unit on tickover...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts