Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have relocated my battery to the boot using a 4 gauge wiring kit, this was done some time ago. Is this sufficient for the purpose?

It doesn't seemed to have the same power on fire up with this setup.

Cheers
Pete
 

·
Registered
4 wheels normally dirty
Joined
·
26,577 Posts
Athers said:
Hi,

I have relocated my battery to the boot using a 4 gauge wiring kit, this was done some time ago. Is this sufficient for the purpose?

It doesn't seemed to have the same power on fire up with this setup.

Cheers
Pete
whats 4 gauge in real size ie mm2(roughly will do)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just about to say that :D . Does anyone know if this is sufficient considering the additional length (resistance?) of the circuit with the battery in the boot?

I'm sure there must be a formula I can apply?
 

·
Registered
4 wheels normally dirty
Joined
·
26,577 Posts
the resistance is about 0.727 m ohm per meter for copper and 1.2 m ohms for aluminum thats for 25 mm2 cable so yours will be slightly higher can't think how many amps the cable will take exactly off the top of my head but i'd personally say it's big enough

K
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,018 Posts
Athers said:
I'm sure there must be a formula I can apply?
"Rule of Thumb" ;) ;)

Standard Evo3 battery to starter motor cable is 20mm2. This would probably be OK, except on cold mornings, with the battery in the boot

I would upgrade to 25mm2 to be on the safe side

Grant
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks chaps :). The calculator wouldn't work for me, but I will take your advice grants and upgrade to 25mm2 - does this have a name like "8 gauge" etc..?

Also, should I put a fuse inline too? If so how do I calculate what amp rating this should be?

Cheers :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,826 Posts
I used some old hi-fi install cable when i did mine.
As soon as the cold weather hit the 50amp fuse blew every time I tried to start it.
Was advised that the fuse was not required and the cable wasn't really man enough.
If you use the search engine for "circuit breaker" you will find this topic covered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
I'm about to do an install in my evo 8, and have been told to have a second battery (optima yellow top) in the boot with a split charge system. Using 2 gauge cable from the original battery to the second boot mounted one, then from this use 2 gauge to a distribution block then smaller 4 gauge to each amp.
 

·
Registered
4 wheels normally dirty
Joined
·
26,577 Posts
Gremmers said:
I'm about to do an install in my evo 8, and have been told to have a second battery (optima yellow top) in the boot with a split charge system. Using 2 gauge cable from the original battery to the second boot mounted one, then from this use 2 gauge to a distribution block then smaller 4 gauge to each amp.
can i just ask why whats the point ?
the idea of putting your batt in the boot is to get it out of the engine bay so your going to leave it in there and weigh your car down a wee bit more with another one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
KIERAN BARKER said:
can i just ask why whats the point ?
To give me more power for the stereo system. Personally I'm happy with the perfomance of my evo and am prepared to gain a bit of weight/lose a bit of speed in order to have a good sounding/looking stereo installed, although understand that not everyone on this forum will agree.
 

·
Registered
4 wheels normally dirty
Joined
·
26,577 Posts
fair enough but to be honest a big exide maxxima or optima should be able to do the job on its own even from in your boot.
K
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top