Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new Canadian member of the website here. Glad to have found a community so knowledgable and willing to help other Evolution enthusiasts.

I'm currently in the market for an Evolution 6 TME and was just looking to gather knowledge in terms of anything notable I should look out for to help me make a more confident, educated decision. I'll be importing through an experienced and respected Canadian JDM importer, www.b-pro.ca; with his help, we'll be going through auction sheets and more as meticulously as possible in hopes of finding me one of these bad boys to ship home.

I'm in the market for a white TME. However, I had read about the fiasco of "fake" red TMEs being made from third parties that are going around the market as genuine TMEs, which sparked a little bit of a general concern for myself as a buyer. Hope to be an Evo owner soon - I figure, what better place to ask for advice to help me get there than here.

Any advice helps and is greatly appreciated!

Cheers from Canada,

Justin

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
These cars are getting old now so most have had some work done at some time,auction grades are confusing and sometimes misleading I would buy on general condition looking st all areas for rust and rot especially chassis legs ,engine cradles and underneath.,lots of knowledgable people on here to help.:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Hi Justin!

Welcome to the MLR!

I own a white TME, and when starting to look I was also new into evo's, so I did a bit of research... In this website tells you what was original in a genuine TME..

http://classicregister.com/content/how-identify-1999-2001-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-65-tme

Check for rust in the typical areas: Underneath, AYC pump, rear doors clips, inside the boot..

And if you are after a 100% genuine TME, check the engine code numbers, check that the turbo is not magnetic too..

Good luck! You will love it! :smthumbup

·
MLR Oldie
14,954 Posts
Hi Justin!

Welcome to the MLR!

I own a white TME, and when starting to look I was also new into evo's, so I did a bit of research... In this website tells you what was original in a genuine TME..

http://classicregister.com/content/how-identify-1999-2001-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-65-tme
Disregard the bit which says "•Different front bumper (no fog lights)" as some TME's came with small fogs fitted in the front bumper. I suspect it may have been an optional extra. They seem to be quite rare though. If you find a TME with fogs then it may well be genuine.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Disregard the bit which says "•Different front bumper (no fog lights)" as some TME's came with small fogs fitted in the front bumper. I suspect it may have been an optional extra. They seem to be quite rare though. If you find a TME with fogs then it may well be genuine.
Yep! You are right! I think it was a pretty expensive extra, that's why almost none of them have them :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I think I have counted 10 to date - to be FAIR I have one with them and not a massive fan really... Always thought of purchasing a standard bumper as a different look

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Welcome to the MLR Justin :cool:

It sounds like you'll be buying from Auction in Japan which is the best place to buy one from rust wise. The majority are rust free but not all and so you need to tell your man to use an agent out there and to get the car fully inspected before bidding. See this post for example.....

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=525827

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts