Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice and amp; suggestions needed folks.

The arrival of 'EvoSprog' at the beginning of the week means that we need an everyday car to carry around our latest addition and associated junk. My much loved 205 1.9 is just too small for the job and will either go up for sale or be put out to grass as a cheapo track car. The Evo, while practical is too much of a thief/vandal/car jackers magnet for my other half to drive regularly or to be left left anywhere remotely dodgy etc. Not that I'm scared she'll prang it of course http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Here's the brief: need something practical, fairly spacious, reasonably reliable, not a bomb to run, not a thief magnet, and a good hoot to drive. Budget up to £15k (new or second hand). Here's the first stab at a short list:
Pug 306 GTI-6 - hoot to drive, not sure about reliability after the 205
Honda Civic Type R - a bit above the budget when it comes out next month but very practical and a 200 bhp honda vtec under the bonnet
Golf VR6/4 motion - good engine, reliable but a bit porky and handling stodgy
Scooby wagon - good to drive but running costs highish and possible scum magnet

Any thoughts or alternatives peeps? (especially those of you with ankle biters).

Cheers,
Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Steve, get a Scoob or get a seat turbo jobby ,not 2 door for fk sake ,went to the airport in a micra this last week ,my little fella nearly got knocked out as couldn;t get a suit case in the boot.So much for a second car ?
At least you can thrash the scoob and still keep up with the traffic.Has 4 doors as well you know!
And it may grow on ya :)
Best bet is a people carrier then you have a vehicle to go out with the lads on the #### and leave it any town you wish ,or at least get some kip in it .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all congratulations are in order:)

Have a look at the old Civic Type-R...much better looking car than the new version.
Others to consider, Integra Type-R or an Alfa 156 sportwagon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get the Golf VR6/4 motion. If you want something solid and fast with space, German cars are the best option in my opinion. It'll still shift and there is quite a lively tuning scene for these babys as well...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a look at the VR6 and it has a teeny tiny boot. No good for prams etc. similar problem with Seat. I also looked at a scoob, but prefered the drive in Octavia RS. Yes its a skoda, but its the same engine/floorpan as a Golf but has a decent hatch back boot. I will probably go for this when my wifes faithful Montego turbo dies (probably not long now as the rust seems to be coming through everywhere :().

Over a bumpy road I reckon one would be difficult to get past in my TME as the suspension is nicely compliant rather than crash bang wallop. Bit soft at the back actually but its still a great car to drive with flat torque curve from 1800 up to 5000 unlike the scoob which is peaky as ####. Its cheap and well equipped (CD player etc) and don't look too bad and at the end of the day its German engineering.

Test drive one and you'll be surprised (or not).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I was you I would grin and bear it for now and keep the Pug, we have the Paj Evo and also a Pug 205 diesel run around for shopping etc and for those 'dodgy' car parks!

Jrs are only a big inconvenience car wise for a short time while you are still karting the kitchen sink around with you, get a 3 wheel pushchair and your well away!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve....

my advice.. don't get a VW, 4 motion or otherwise. Get a Seat Leon 20VT or the new 210bhp version if you want that sort of car. I had one, brand new for 13,500 and for that money it was a hell of a lot of car... the best sound system I ever had, climate control, 3 year warranty and amp; breakdown, 210bhp etc.. Quite good to drive esp. on long journeys.. amazingly comfortable ride but sadly, **** brakes with no feel. But overall a far faster and better handler than the MK4 golf. The new 210bhp version with more aggressive front spoiler and amp; airdam is a very nice looking car IMO.

In this category you could also consider teh Skoda Octavia which is a lot of car for the money.

Otherwise... I would go for an Audi A3... think thats the right name.. teh little pug thing thats big inside (liek teh A class).. highly rated and quite good fun and I love the looks.

Scoob wagon is undoubtedly a good car but looks like a bag of shite.

How about a real nice example of a Corrado VR6.... very good drive, nive engine and a bit fo a drivers machine.

I was in this position a while ago (now with 2 month old daughter) and funny thing is, I bought the EVO as a second car. How about an EVO3 or 4 thats not so conspicuous :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hell.. what am I saying.I know what I'd do... for eth family get an old 1983 Volvo esatate thats good for 250K miles for about a grand, get a Caterham for about 10 grand for sunny days and spend 4 grand on trackdays/track tuition and super-unleaded :-O These audi type cars, or even the family scoobs just don't cut it as a drive for me so theres no point spending lots on them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not a bad plan to get a old banger as its amazing the amount of damage done by puke, prams and neglect caused by total lack of interest in anything other than getting some sleep. My lads are now 7 and 9 and are able to appreciate a good motor. Even so I regularly find foot prints on the seats of my TME.

Just make sure you get 4 doors and a decent boot opening as when the sprogs get heavier its bloody hard on yer back having to lean in from front doors or trying to slot some unwieldy pushchair contraption into a small boot. I guess this rules out the Corrado, which is a shame as its a tasty motor.

BTW I test drove an Integra type R (the old one) - talk about peaky power delivery. Doesn't compare to a turbo motor. Great for screamin' the nuts off, not so good for the family.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats 2 u , Mrs and amp; sprog , does he/she have a name ?

U no wot I say about second cars , BX turbo diesel m8 , tons of space , pence 2 run , 4 wheel disc brakes , ABS etc and if u smack it who cares :)

But if u must blow some wedge , Alfa 147 , bloody gorgeous , very practical , buy it from europe (goes 4 anything u choose) and save bigtime.

Cya

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve

How about an Alfa 147 5 door. Best looking car on the road (possibly!).

Or new Mini Cooper (bit small?)

Second hand Peugeot 406 coupe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some excellent suggestions here folks, keep them coming in. Made me realise how rusty I had got on my knowledge of this section of the market - I'm doing my research now and there has already been a bit of interest in the 205.

Evoboy, sorry for not introducing my daughter properly - Stephanie Louise, born 3.36am Monday 24th weighing in at 6lb 12oz. There was a bit of a dash to the hospital when things started happening quickly in the early hours of Monday: never mind Evo cop cars, they should use some of these things as ambulances and no one would end up waiting too long :) I also had the perfect opportunity to speed with impunity :D :D All are doing well apart from not getting any kip to talk about. She seemed to enjoy the ride home in the Evo, but resisting the temptation to put your foot down is very trying. I'm hoping Steph could turn into a girl racer in years to come with a bit of encouragement.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve

Congrats to all three of you, my 2 littluns are 3|PLS|5 (both girls) and love the Evo, faster, faster is normally the scream from them. Had a Saab Turbo previously, masses of room, really comfy, fast enough, cheapish to insure and service from the dealers was spot on as was the second hand warranty from Saab. They also bought it back for cash. The big bonus was no trouble parking even in the dodgiest areas of Leeds. It was also good fun with just front wheel drive.

Just a thought for you. The Evo I bought was someones second car, the one the wife took the kids to school in......... get yourself a 340 GL estate and let her have the fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i ran a 205 1.9 gti (miami blue, full leather) from new for 6 years and still miss it now.got an astra gsi that went like stink in straight line , someone nicked it so i then got a wrx 5 door, i have 2 girls megan 10 and ellie 7 .we all loved the impreza and for 2 years i never had one bad word to say about it,totally reliable ,280 bhp and 5 doors plus you could leave it any where.it was a bit thirsty but what the hell.a mate of mine does 40,000 miles a year and his new golf tdi is a gem , pretty quick , economical, reliable and 5 doors.so maybe thats another option.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steve,
Congratulations mate, sorry no suggestions on a car but thaught id take this chance to congratulate you on becoming a parent.
See you soon
come to think of it i've got a very nice 4x4 cossie loads of room,very quick what more could you want :) and i'll do you a good price lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steve

Sorry to be a kill joy but make practicality the No.1 priority. You have your fun car and so long as you are not giving that up go for something really practical. We have a Renault Scenic (2 litre) and have desided to keep it until it dies. It is so practical.

1. Getting kids in and out. MPV's make life easy because there is no bending down. There is nothing worse than fighting a screeming kid in the back of a 3 door hatch.
2. Room for the kitchen sink
3. Versitile layout so you can change it around as needed.
4. Because of the way the rear seats move, it is possible to move the little one very close to the front.

I cannot believe that I am really suggesting this but this type of vehicle really is a must for the family. However, if you choose to ignore my advice, go for the Scooby and slowly add more tuning bits without the Misses knowing :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Simon, you are a sad man!

Steve
What about a pre-owned Volvo T5R? You can easily get the boost raised on it, it's a stationwagon, lots of room. A few guys here used to have them, pretending it was because they have a small child and then came onto the roads following me (with the M3, 2 years ago)!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dont buy a T5-R. I had one, was always broken. I always had to go to the garage before it was sevicetime!
Claudius, if I am right you had an RS2, you should better advise that one,not?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, I never had an RS2. My bro has an S4.
I think an RS2 would be cool as well. I have no idea how reliable that (or the Volvo) is, just thought from a performance / space / price point of view it could do the job.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts