Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could I possibly buy next to replace my 2 year old Evo VI? I don't really fancy a VII, and the Subaru thing is dead and buried. So what suggestions do you have for an Evo replacement, fast as f**k, not for track days, for about the same price (give or take a few thou') as a new Evo? The problem is that nothing compares to the VI in this price range!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe you could take off your performance parts and get a TME with low mileage and put them back on? That way you have a newer car with less mileage and a different face.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it depends what you are after, ask yourself this what do you want to change the car for, as you say for the cash what else is there?

Why not continue to modify, spend the extra cash on more BHP etc.

For a similar price you could look at TVR's, don't expect to go round corners as fast but a stock Cerb 4.5 would be a few k more but a little faster then a (stock) E6 (in a straight line)

Def

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're happy with your current car, why replace it? Is it a company car that has to be returned? The only car I can think of that will handle/go as well as your E6 for the same money and with 4 doors is an E7.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm happy enough with the car, it's just that I'm also a bit bored with it. I tend not to keep cars this long, and I am itching for something new om my driveway. I looked at TVRs but they seem like a twelve year builds them, Lotus Elise is cheap enough but not fast enough, Ferrari the dogs ****** but not at this price, Evo VII doesn't shove you in the back like a VI , so that's no good. I don't really want to throw any more cash at the Evo, it's already pretty well sorted. I think I'm after something a bit different from the 4 door saloon thing, but I guess i'll have to keep the VI a while longer? If there isn't a car I really want, it's probably daft to swap for the sake of it. Oh, I looked at the new M3 a while back but they are too sterile, they are well built but just too damn boring (but I don't want an M3 argument!).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Original Post:
I'm happy enough with the car, it's just that I'm also a bit bored with it. I tend not to keep cars this long, and I am itching for something new om my driveway. I looked at TVRs but they seem like a twelve year builds them, Lotus Elise is cheap enough but not fast enough, Ferrari the dogs ****** but not at this price, Evo VII doesn't shove you in the back like a VI , so that's no good. I don't really want to throw any more cash at the Evo, it's already pretty well sorted. I think I'm after something a bit different from the 4 door saloon thing, but I guess i'll have to keep the VI a while longer? If there isn't a car I really want, it's probably daft to swap for the sake of it. Oh, I looked at the new M3 a while back but they are too sterile, they are well built but just too damn boring (but I don't want an M3 argument!).
TVRs ... agree. I've lost count of the number of friends of mine with TVRs that spend half their life at the dealership.

Elises ... there are some pretty quick ones around (190bhp range). Or try looking at an Exige (more of a track tool and very very loud).

M3 ... not as boring as AYC I can assure you (and the whole UK motoring press disagrees with you). I take it from your post that you haven't driven one yet ... problem is, it takes a few weeks of ownership to realise how good they really are. Far from boring though.

Skylines ... I've not driven the R34 but I have driven two R33's (one V-spec one normal). Wasn't impressed by the boooringly capable 4WD and stock ones are definitely slower than an Evo in a straight line (but probably have a better tuning potential). However, if you don't mind 4WD doing all the work for you, it might be the logical choice.

Thought about a Lotus Carlton? £25k gets you a minter and they can be easily tuned to nearly 500bhp. Servicing costs a fortune though.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
M3's are boring to me, a personal thing, they don't flick my switch like a forty grand car should, the same applies to Skylines. I'm not saying either are poor cars, they are quite the opposite, but it's just not what I'm looking for. Now the Noble is a real nice car, but it's too expensive, especially considering it uses a Ford Mondeo engine (yes, with turbos, I know) and they aren't what I would call a good motor (from experience). The Carlton's too old, and a bit of a barge, perhaps something lie a GT or coupe is what I would like. Lotus Exige; anyone have any experience of the build quality and performance?
As far as magazine's are concerned, I stopped taking notice of them a looong time ago, too much bullshit, flavour of the month, misguided information and politics involved.
I think the real problem here is the price gulf from an Evo to any other performance car. Keep the ideas coming guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could modify your car to RS450 spec. It would probably cost the price of another e6,
but from the reports on here from the people that have had that conversion the
performance is an order of magnitude up on the exteme/zerofighter, running and amp;gt; 2 bar of boost with ALS !
Its gotta be good for and amp;lt; 4.0s 0-60mph, since the extreme/zerofighter can already achieve this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How dya fancy a Pajero Evo - not a 4 door saloon by any means!!!

If I remember corretly, Ralliart in Dudley had a Silver one in a few weeks ago, but I don't know if it is a manual or tiptronic? Ours is manual, didn't fancy the tiptronic, plus the tiptronic car is about 20kg heavier than manual!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Noble is better than you think, and the Mondeo engine is also very good. Look at it this way - it is half of the Aston V12 engine in the DB7 Vantage and the new Vanquish. It would be my choice for £40k ish.

What about a Lotus Esprit? I know they are 20|PLS| years old, but are still excellent handlers, and the V8 is very quick - if you can live with the dated styling.

Don't touch the TVR if you want reliability.

What is the car used for? If it is a general allrounder, the M3 is a good choice. If it is a weekend toy, then why not look at something like a Caterham R500, or Westfield Megablade? You could get a decent hatch like the Audi S3 or something, and a Caterham/Westfield for £40k (just about) - different, I suppose.

The M5 is very good, and would surprise you - though it is a big car (like the Lotus Carlton). The Holden HSV GTS-R is a bit like a 4-door TVR. Pretty good actually. THough looks like a Vauxhaull.

Dare I say it, Porsche? The Boxster S is a good handler, and reasonably fast (though not EVO fast). You could get a two-year old 911 Carrera-2 which is very fast - on the track/road, it is about the same as an EVO - though harder to drive fast. You could get an older 911 Turbo.

If you don't mind older, there are a few Subaru Impreza 22B's hanging around, which was pretty good in my opinion. Also the P1's are still available new, and are pretty cheap - though not as cheap as a new/almost new VI -which is far superior.

You could get a LHD 355 for about £50k. The Z3M coupe isn't bad - lots of rear wheel fun, and pretty quick too.

I would say from the track days I have done, the cars that are going quick are EVOs, 911s, Imprezas, Lotuses and Nobles. TVRs are never quick.

What about a boosted Elise? You can get 220bhp no probs, and as much as 300bhp. At 220bhp, you are talking the same Power-to-weight as an EVO with about 360bhp, though quite a difference in torque. As I say, depends on your application.

EVO is looking better all the time, isn't it?

Oh - almost forget- the new Focus RS is looking very good. It is only FWD though, but tests show it posting lap times in EVO territory. If they ever produce a Focus Cosworth, that might be an interesting car. The RS though has a funky Quaife diff which means it handles neutrally, without the usual FWD wheelspin - bit like what BMW have done at the rear of the M3 with their M diff. Backwards step in my opinion, but a choice none the less.

GOod luck on your decision making! Stick with the EVO!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you looked at NSXs?? I noticed no one has mentioned them yet, but I would consider one. Kind of depends what you are really after...The NSX is still a nice looking car and it still goes by todays standards. I recall it being referred to as the worlds friendliest supercar, and it would make a change from the evo. The engines are very nice and sound great, especially the last ones to be used...i think they are 3.2liters.
Maybe another car could be the Tommy Kaira ZZII...if they ever get around to building it. Last I heard it is supposed to be released early next year and uses the GTR's RB engine producing 500bhp. Prices are believed to be around 50k UKP

droid....you have proved by your comment on the GTR that you have never driven one in anger. It's all well driving along at 50mph...pretty much all cars feel the same at these speeds. If you have ever tried one on a track you would be surprised at how capable the 4wd system is of letting the driver have fun. If you call driving round a corner at 70mph in 3rd sideways booooring??? I would consider the Evos AYC boooring. A lot of owners are fed up with it and want to either take out the fuse or replace it all together with a conventional LSD...now that tells me something!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hehehe,

the Skyline is packed with more electronic driving aids than you can shake a stick at. The AYC on an Evo is very crude compared to what's going on in a Skyline. I know from people that have really driven both systems on track under hard conditions that the Skyline's system is more intrusive. In case you wonder who that is, it's the guy that sorts suspensions in Brentford and has sorted a few 500bhp|PLS| Skylines and 400|PLS|bhp Evo and test driven them on track.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some cars that are missing are high powered Porsche's from Ruf, Techart or Gemballa. But I think were talking reasonable money here. In that case there's no option but to keep the Evo and mod it further. Your wallet's the limit!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's the way it is.

Anybody heard of the 5,7l MZ things with 500, 750 and even 1000bhp? Will they be built? Will they be that powerful, I mean has someone finally decided to give us a car that goes? That would be nice! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some cracking ideas coming through here chaps, although the price of most of them is prohibitive. It is true, the Evo really takes some beating at any price, but I really fancy a change, after previously owning Impreza Turbos too. I already have a Westfield for track use, which is far cheaper to thrash than the Evo!!! The problem is I have been seriously taking leave of my senses, and really fancy a 4.5 TVR Cerbera. I know the build quality is very dubious but I can't help myself. I could get a good 97/98 model within my price range, and I know from experience that they sound f88cking awesome. I would just have to hope it was a very talented twelve year old who built it!! Whichever way I think it has to be 4 or rear wheel drive, but I am thinking big CC, lots of cylinders.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Original Post:
How dya fancy a Pajero Evo - not a 4 door saloon by any means!!!

If I remember corretly, Ralliart in Dudley had a Silver one in a few weeks ago, but I don't know if it is a manual or tiptronic? Ours is manual, didn't fancy the tiptronic, plus the tiptronic car is about 20kg heavier than manual!!
I would say more like 200Kg heavier with the huge auto box!!!! But nice idea all the same.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Forget about the Lotus Exige: saw two burn at the Ring this summer! Engine got too hot (British!). Met a German guy, who drove an Exige with British plates. He got it on loan from Lotus, after his third Lotus had burned!! Two exiges and one 340.

Glad I got an EVO!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts