Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above, what power can standard evo gearboxes handle??

what else should I know about them if im thinking of buying one?? does much go wrong with them?? are they reliable when tuned?

cheers :D

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I think we have a couple of people pushing 400+lbft through them without any major problems, although they run uprated clutches I'm pretty sure the rest of the box is basically standard.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
People have run standard boxes with 700+ (with shot peened bits) but not massively reliable (particularly if you launch hard). Generally, around about 550-600 is the time you really need to think of dog gears to get long term reliability.

Edit - this applies to later cars rather than the early ones which I'm not sure about

Just noted the other part of your question - depends on who tunes it but yes they can be (more so than the Cossie at similar power levels ISTR) Take a look at the buyers guide for more info (home page)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info :D

dont mind having to uprate the clutch and flywheel but was hoping the standard box would cope with circa 500 as uprated boxes are expensive :crackup:

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
ive been putting 500 or so through mine for over a yr with no problems.

However i did have to build a new shotpeened transfer box after i destroyed 3 in that time. Thats just over 4000 miles BTW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts