Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I would like to know what makes the difference in power between Evo VI GSR and amp; EVO VI Extreme.

Is it Ralliart ECU, air filter and exhaust ? Does this really make a 60 bhp difference and 28 lbs torque ?

THANKS !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Appearently yes. There is also a restrictor mod there which raises boost. Keep in mind the exhaust is very restrictive, plus they raise boost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't the EXtreme develop close to 400bhp on over boost for limited bursts ?

Has anyone driven one... the mag reports said they were far too harsh for the road and a nightmare on traffic ???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting that for the 7 Extreme that they have completely reworked the engine internals. OK, they are getting more torque out of the engine but it makes you wonder if the 6 Extreme pushed the strength of the lump to the limits. I wonder how far you can push it without creating a hand granade.

All accounts of the 6 Extreme is that the suspension was so extreme that it could not be pushed as hard as a standard car on the road, the track is another thing though. Reports sugest that they have got it right in the 7 Extreme. Anybody compared the 2 yet?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The differences between the GSR and Extreme 6 were quite alot actually.

Firstly, the Extreme was based on the RS, so it had shorter gearing - although the later Extreme's were based on the RS-2. They did not have climate control, AYC etc. and weighed less, so were quicker anyway.
They did indeed have the Ralliart ECU, restrictor mods, filter, exhaust etc. - also a quicker steering rack, uprated bushes, top mounts, engine mounts, hoses and so on.. Quite alot of mods, but nowhere near worth the money.

Suspension-wise, I believe the shocks were standard, other than the lowered Eibach springs, though am not 100% positive on this - the geometry changes set-it for fast road, which probably meant 2 degrees camber at the front. If I remember right, front and rear strut braces were added too - and I think a 4point harness, or those may have been options.... The top mounts and uprate bushes add a lot of directness and harshness. The camber settings and direct rack would have made it harder to drive on the road. Comparing to the GSR, the lack of AYC would have made it harder to drive too.

4 pot AP brake upgrade too, and 18 wheels that were lighter - plus added front splitter, different side skirts, rear skirt and nasty colour schemes with nasty Ralliart stripes! No ABS.

Aircon, not climate control - no rear wiper or intermittent wipe. LSD. Err, think that's it from memory. HH6, help???

Developed 340bhp according to ralliart, and I think 330lbft. Never ever produced 400bhp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Simon,

It would seem that what Ralliart have done this time round is to mix and match the old Extreme and RS450 upgrades. The Extreme 7 and Extreme 7S are actually quite different - the Extreme 7 is like the old extreme, with new pistons to allow more boost - which is why you get a higher torque figure.

The Extreme 7S is pretty much identical spec to the old RS450, including the GEMS ECU -which the normal 7 Extreme doesn;t have. Interestingly, the power output for the 7S is what most RS450 owners experienced when they put their cars on the rollers - which for the price makes the Extreme 7S not bad - but £17k over the price for an EVO 7 RS is alot.

FOr the ordinary Extreme 7, the new pistons are over the top - for the boost levels, uprated con-rods are all that is really required. My guess would be that it was cheaper/easier to have one basic engine unit for both cars. Also, the pistons don't cost much - and if you are changing the rods, it is just as easy to do the pistons. Also helps justify the high price to customers....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One last point!

The reviews in Autocar etc. talk about AP brake upgrades etc. - when these are optional (as are alot of other things like strut braces etc.)

Check carefully - the price for one with a few extras is closer to £45k, which IMHO is a lot of money for a car that isn't that far above standard.

The Extreme S is definitely the better option of the two. Otherwise stick to a standard GSR - with a few cheap mods, it won' t be that far behind the standard extreme, and will be just as good a road car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts