Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question possibly for InsBro .

This may seem a stupid question but I will ask anyway.

What makes a vehicle a Grey import for insurance purposes?

I understand that a second hand Japanese car or one that has been registered outside of the UK for that matter, is classed as an import, but all the cars that Ralliart brought in were imported the same way as many of the cars now classed as Greys .

I purchased my Evo 6 barnd new from a dealer in Wales and I am the first registered keeper, but my car is classed as a Grey import. If this car had come from Ralliart it would have been brought into the country in the same way but it would have been classed as an official Uk model.

WHY?

If you all think I'm a thicko I'll get my coat.

Is it all down to being sold by the official UK importer of that make of vehicle?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re:What makes a

I *think* it is a grey import if the same model is available in the UK. If the model you are importing is not available then it is a standard import.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Bizz,
Just to confuse matters further, I have a UK Ralliart Evo 6 RSX and yet for insurance, it is classed as a 'grey import'. Indeed the insurance company that I'm with now class all Evo 6's as greys......

And after all, BMW's and Fords come into this countyr from Germany and so why aren't they classed as grey imports or is it something to do with EU countries?????

All Bizarre.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Grey Import
This is a car that is imported from another country by an agent or individual that was never intended to be sold in that country by the manufacturer. The car that is imported could be a completely new model not normally sold in that country or the difference can just be that the car that is imported is a different specification than an officially available model e.g. MX5 and Eunos, the Eunos is a Grey Import.

Parallel Import
This is a car that is imported from another country by an agent or individual and has the same specification as models that are sold there officially. Buying a UK spec car in Europe and importing to the UK is Parallel Importing (you are parallel importing along side the official cars).

All Evo's are Grey Imports, they were never built in Japan for official importation in to the UK and hence have to be converted when they reach our shores. This I believe will even apply to the 'official UK' Mitsubishi E7's coming out in March (correct me if I am wrong).

As for insurance purposes, who knows! An expression to do with peoples rear ends and elbows springs to mind :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

A grey import evo is one that has been brought in by an importer be it new or used,(warrenders,ralliart dudley,park lane are just some of them) but still good evo's.

The ones sold new by Mitsubishi dealers are classed as UK cars by the insurance companys,even though there is no real difference between the cars.

However some ins coys now treat both cars the same.

Ringing around will get the same quotes for both cars.

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Having just phoned around to get insurance quotes, there seems to be no pattern as to how insurers classify cars. Many seem to group CCC and Ralliart UK imported cars as OK (not grey) but cars from other importers as grey and that they won't touch the greys. Others don't distinguish between grey and others, grouping all cars to be the same. Another had 3 types of Evo, a Ralliart Evo , an Evo and a grey import Evo . They would insure all of them, but for different premiums.

Even more incredible was the insurers who graded my Ralliart Extreme as the same as a GSR. No increase in premium! I asked if I had a 7 and made the same mods what the quote would be and the answer was that they would not quote because they only insured standard cars! What a load of b####cks. Another required the exact spec of the car before quoting but as their base quote for a GSR was already too high, I gave it a miss. For what it is worth, Tesco and Norwich Union were almost the same quote. The Tesco quote had a higher excess but covered trackdays, Norwich Union has a better No Claims protection.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hi,

To be honest, in Insurance Terms a grey imported Lancer is no different to a UK one.

I have been telling insurers for the past 2 years you can get UK spec cars now. However as the majority of them are grey's they treat them all the same. As Heave ho said, although im ashamed to admit it the majority of the insurance companies out there dont know there ar*e from there elbow.

To make it short and sweet a grey import is from Japan a parallel is from europe.

If your having a problem, give us a ring.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

the term 'grey' import, I believe, was a quote fabricated by official dealers in the UK in my opinion to make joe public who had just paid 30K for a car not feel so bad when joe public no.2 saves 7 or 8K by using his/her loaf and buying from abroad.

I can remember a report in a magazine (japanese perfomance maybe? cant remember) in which it was stated that the Pajero was totally different to a Shogun and the official letter you will receive from the manufacturer in the UK if you enquire about the date of birth for your car will state something along the lines of...
'We recommend that the vehicle is subjected to an SVA test to prove its roadworthyness as it was not intended for use on british roads and amp; was intended for an overseas market'
Do you honestly think that one side of the factory makes inferior cars/brakes/gearboxes etc etc for other places in the world and amp; they have a safe side which produces Shoguns especially for England because they know we like to be safer than in Japan/Timbuktu?
I think there may be another part of the factory making badges and that is about it!
It would be intresting to know how Red Zebra scheme works in relation to 'inferior' Pajero's it accepts after it has been traded in by mr muggings against a 'superior' Shogun.There must be a giant scrap heap full of pajero's in a field somewhere in the UK!

I would rather save money on buying my car and amp; pay 500£ extra per year for insurance!
at least in a year or so i will get my money back if not maybe earn some money instead of mr slimey in the showroom getting fat on me!

just my opinion... fingers tired now, hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

the term 'grey' import, I believe, was a quote fabricated by official dealers in the UK in my opinion to make joe public who had just paid 30K for a car not feel so bad when joe public no.2 saves 7 or 8K by using his/her loaf and buying from abroad.

I can remember a report in a magazine (japanese perfomance maybe? cant remember) in which it was stated that the Pajero was totally different to a Shogun and the official letter you will receive from the manufacturer in the UK if you enquire about the date of birth for your car will state something along the lines of...
'We recommend that the vehicle is subjected to an SVA test to prove its roadworthyness as it was not intended for use on british roads and amp; was intended for an overseas market'
Do you honestly think that one side of the factory makes inferior cars/brakes/gearboxes etc etc for other places in the world and amp; they have a safe side which produces Shoguns especially for England because they know we like to be safer than in Japan/Timbuktu?
I think there may be another part of the factory making badges and that is about it!
It would be intresting to know how Red Zebra scheme works in relation to 'inferior' Pajero's it accepts after it has been traded in by mr muggings against a 'superior' Shogun.There must be a giant scrap heap full of pajero's in a field somewhere in the UK!

I would rather save money on buying my car and amp; pay 500£ extra per year for insurance!
at least in a year or so i will get my money back if not maybe earn some money instead of mr slimey in the showroom getting fat on me!

just my opinion... fingers tired now, hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Pajero's are different to uk shoguns, nobody says that they are inferior to uk ones, some have different engines ,gearboxes, exhausts,climate control systems,cold start systems,brakes (at least 5 different sets of brake pads in japan only one sort for uk) . If you have an accident you could wait 3 to 4 weeks to get parts for your pajero that is why the ins co makes a distinction between them, especially if they have to supply you with a loan car for an extra month. In japan they do not tow trailers so most of them do not have oil coolers on gearboxes. diesel fuel pumps are set up for jap diesel much cleaner than ours so eventually they give problems as well, £600 for a uk one £1200 for a pajero.

Evos however are mostly the same so not so many problems with them at from 6 onwards.

I have nothing against them they are just different.
The importers only bring in high spec ones because people think they are getting a bargain.

Hit me

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Original Post:
The Tesco quote had a higher excess but covered trackdays, Norwich Union has a better No Claims protection.
Interesting - I just switched from Norwich Union to Tesco last week for my E7. My broker said not many companies would look at the Evo as it was an import. I was paying 1550 with NU (500 compulsory XS), first quote from Tesco was 1030 with a 350 XS, I asked about a bigger XS and they quoted me 755 with a 1000 voluntary XS. So, less than half the price of Norwich Union (who wouldn't offer me a reduction for bigger voluntary XS).

For some reason I didn't think the Tesco policy covered track days, but I can't see any specific exclusion. NU specifically excluded them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hi All

We have been insuring Imports EU and amp; Grey for almost 4 years now.

It has taken almost this long to convince insurance companies that the majority are not as bad as they think.

Greys do not have UK or European Type approval, this used to make insurers nervous because following a crash if the car is not as strong the likelihood of the passengers being injured is greater.

Then we all know what they said about parts availability. We actually had a rear bumper for an FTO airfreighted over direct from Japan cheaper than buying it from Mitsubishi UK.

There are some horror stories though:
A MR2 Turbo - The UK cars glass is different?! Not just in tint.
The Pajero front chrome bumper £1200.

I spent a full day with 5 underwriters in 2000 explaining the major differences between the most commonly imported cars, Some bright spark also published a comparison between a UK Impreza and a STi saying the STi had over 120 different engine components.

Evo 6's are treated the same UK (Ralliart prepared) or Grey but the policy cover can differ. If a Grey car is written off in the first year of ownership the majority of insurers will NOT give you a new replacement car, as they would with a UK car.

Simons right The 7 extreme hasn't been grouped any different to standard 7 (YET!) so don't tell too many people also a modded 7 will cost more to insure than a standard 7 and therefore more also than a extreme!

I did a quote on an extreme and it was only more than the standard 7 because of the value being over 30k, £18 more.

If anyone wants to ring to discuss feel free.

Jeremy

01782 286311

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Black Knight,

Even though I bought my car from a Mitsi dealer my insurance company still classes it as a grey . Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Charlie.
Most Mitsi Dealers do sell greys as well as UK cars, ring around for a better coy or speak to jeremy in the above post.

Tony

1 - 14 of 14 Posts