Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just racing a Porche home from work, long left hand bend a bit sideways in fourth doing 110mph. went to change up to fifth gear and POP lots of smoke, managed to crawl home for 1 mile, to find the bottom hose had come off the intercooler, could this be a symptom of something more terminal or just a lose hose. and can anyone explain why the loss of this hose has such a dramatic effect.

appreciate any advice.

Johnnie No *****

·
Premium Member
22,006 Posts
JohnnieNoStars said:
I was just racing a Porche home from work, long left hand bend a bit sideways in fourth doing 110mph. went to change up to fifth gear and POP lots of smoke, managed to crawl home for 1 mile, to find the bottom hose had come off the intercooler, could this be a symptom of something more terminal or just a lose hose. and can anyone explain why the loss of this hose has such a dramatic effect.

appreciate any advice.

Johnnie No *****
Losing that hose basically means you have no turbo, and can happen. You can get better clips to hold the pipe on tighter, or even use 2 if you can get them on. Just a thought, is your dump valve working? If it is stuck closed, it will cause higher pressure in the system/intercooler

More importantly, did you show him up :D

Stu

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
never mind that - was the man in the porsch imbaressed before you were?
More importantly, did you show him up
It was a Carrera '02' reg. We raced for a few mile but I coudn;t pass but I stayed 20ft from back of car untill it happend. To save face I turned off at the next junction just after the failure.

back to the failure... I had a recent turbo failure where the impeler seized but the car still worked, no power but no smoke or anything like that so why so bad just because the hose came off.

Johnnie No *****

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
check the dump valve is working ok - it sounds like to me that the pressure surge as you closed the throttle in the 4th to 5th change up caused the hose to pop off.

the surge is caused by the momentum of the turbo (spinning at >100,000 rpm) continuing to compress the inlet charge even with no exhaust gas to drive it.

back to the dump valve - i found the std one leaks at even modest pressures (1.3 bar) so would recommend the forge recirc one.

·
Premium Member
22,006 Posts
so why so bad just because the hose came off.

Johnnie No ***** [/B]
Because once the hose came off you had no turbo, and your engine sucked air from that point so the ecu had no way of telling how much air was going into the engine, as this is after the MAF sensor, hence couldn't fuel correctly

Stu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts