Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Thinking you have already covered this topic (I couldnt find anything in search
) I was wondering if anyone knew what the best track set up for brakes was.
I am quite interested in the full 6-pot AP kit from Power Engineering, but £1700 is a lot of money. Is there a straight disc/pad replacement designed for track use? Perhaps just the replacement AP discs? I have heard that the standard Brembo calipers are better than the AP's calipers?

Chers,
Cem

(ps. its for an Evo VI)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cem.....Seems to me that there is no definitive answer to the question for a road going EVO VI wanting to do a bit of track work, just a host of individuals limited experiences with various makes of discs, caliper and or pads most of which seem to warp apart from a two piece setup from Dragonsport. Having said that there are people attending trackdays with standard discs and not having a problem, so it all a bit of lottery really.

I take it you are trying to find a setup which doesn't end up in warped discs, rather than trying to increase the stopping power? It will be interesting to see who returns from Oulton Park without warped discs for example.

If warpage is your problem then my experience can add little help so far in that I am trying a plain faced disc (like the standard without groves or holes) but of a heavier weight and provided by Questmead in Rochdale. My OE discs warped before I had run the car in! These have at least done about 2,000 miles without warpage so far, but I am not expecting them to survive a trackday although I will be shouting about them if they do.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the symptoms of warped discs and what do you do?

I have been told you can skim them on the car. Anybody done this.
Aslo what pads do you all run road and track?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marc,
You will soon know if your discs are warped,the stering wheel starts shaking under heavy braking and amp; when it gets really bad the whole front of the car shudders.This happened to me at the Ring last July.Skimming the discs may help but the problem will come back.The ONLY answer is to go to two part disc with harder pads for track days.There are an awful lot of people on this site waiting for the Dragon discs to become available early in the new year, hopefully these will cure the problem at reasonable cost.
Paul.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the full six-pot front and four-pot rear AP racing conversion on an RS450.
So far, many spirited miles of road driving, and one track day later, no problems at all.
And boy, do they stop well http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Cheers,

Alan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was at Oulton Park in Evo VI, pretty slippery in the morning, but damn good fun, sideways everywhere! Brakes got a good hammering in the afternoon when a dry line appeared. I am running standard discs and calipers and Mintex 1144's all round. I did 20 hot laps in one session and the brakes were superb upto the point when the pedal went to the floor and I did some rallying on the grass! I will be changing the brake fluid now to a higher spec, does anyone have experience of a fluid they can recommend? Anyway to the point, all the discs were completely blue when I returned to the pits but with absolutely no signs of warping, and I have done 2000 miles since and they are fine! I must admit I am very surprised.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
try Dot 5.1 ap fluid it works great for me

lets talk about brakes pffffffff

I had a talk with pete collen about the brake problem with the evo

he said the problem is that the caliper is to close to the centre of the wheel

it can not looses its heat easily

i have tried new brembo discs
i have tried ap discs
i have tried ap discs with alu bell

THEY ALL WARPED

Pete Says the solution to the problem is to put a 6 pot kit on it
or get bigger wheels and put the caliper further of the center and get bigger discs

its cheaper to go for the 6 pot kit

i am saving money for a 6 pot i quess

sorry about my bad english you all should try dutch that would be nice

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All this talk about warped discs, has anyone tryed extra ducting to try and keep the things cooler?

Sean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trouble is Sean, one of the main suspects in the whole Evo6-dodgy-brake-thing is sitting at rest with the brakes on, causing uneven heat dissipation and therefore warpage.

All the ducting in the world won't help in those circumstances, but I reckon you're right, it couldn't hurt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems that either people’s disks warp early or not at all. I feel that if you are gentle and careful with the breaks while they are young they will eventually season and become more warp resistant. The process of heat cycling will eventually stabilize the rotors.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Answer to Clive W ref: What Brake Fluid?
I use AP600 Racing Brake Fluid in my Evo Group N rally car, with good results. Also, brake pads that are worn down transfer more heat into the fluid, maybe change your pads early?

Incidentally, is yours the Silver Evo that went off in front of me at Cascades (at Oulton Park)?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Chunky
sounds like a problem that can be sorted for track days, when you park up sling a couple of chocks under the wheels and don't applie the handbrake. Saisbury's carpark though is a different problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In an earlier message reference was made to: -

'I had a talk with pete collen about the brake problem with the evo'

Who is pete ?

Regards
Markja

1 - 14 of 14 Posts