Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guys sorry if this isnt going to go down well, but im looking for an Evo, now ive down a fair bit or reading up ect and i still dont know what to get so here goes,

I have £11000 to spend if it were yours to buy and Evo what Evo would you get and why?

ie 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9? Slightly modified, big bhp, or standard? there are a few limited editions so maybe one of those? also resale is something that i always think about so something that's easy to sell is a bonus,

obviously some people will be slightly biased to the Evo they own but give some input anyway,

thanks for any help, :smthumbup

·
acting daft since 1969
19,594 Posts
a TOMMI MAK all day long ,the BEST evo for me by far,and if you fnd a good one it wont hurt your pocket to much if you sell it on in the future , obviously evos to some are a bit of a toy and some are getting a real pasting money wise ,but id find an unmodded one as well

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
An unmodded (or very lightly modded) Evo VI TME! Any day of the week, a red one with the decals on the side, the pinical of Evo's in my eyes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi thanks for the replies, i have seen some tme on pistonheads are they only on an evo 6? i agree to they do look very nice!

·
acting daft since 1969
19,594 Posts
yes they where only done in a 6 ,it should be a 6.5 but thats splitting hairs ,if you do want one look at as many as poss theres plenty out there ,some are rough and driven to death others are wrapped in cotton wool and well looked after ,but you get what you pay for ,a cheap ish one may come back to bite HARD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes they where only done in a 6 ,it should be a 6.5 but thats splitting hairs ,if you do want one look at as many as poss theres plenty out there ,some are rough and driven to death others are wrapped in cotton wool and well looked after ,but you get what you pay for ,a cheap ish one may come back to bite HARD
lol yeah i know what you mean, ive bought my fair share of trouble in the past im defo not looking to do it again!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
In my opinion they are called "Evolution" for a reason.

So i'd buy the newest that you can afford for your budget, which with 11k will most likely be a 8 gsr or perhaps an FQ-300 at a stretch.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Which one do you prefer the look of or doesn't looks matter to you?

I bought mine because i know all evos are good cars but think the V is the most 'rally' looking & most aggressive.

If you're planning on modding, buy one with a few tasty mods already on it, it'll save you money in the long run.

Apart from that, go for the best one of whatever model you choose. Cheap can be good sometimes but they aren't cheap to fix if something big breaks!

When you view any potential car, ask if there's anyone of here who'd be willing to come with you, someone who knows about that particular model or has maybe had one & knows what to look for. You can't beat someone with knowledge about the car :smthumbup

You could even ask if anyone knows the car & history

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which one do you prefer the look of or doesn't looks matter to you?

I bought mine because i know all evos are good cars but think the V is the most 'rally' looking & most aggressive.

If you're planning on modding, buy one with a few tasty mods already on it, it'll save you money in the long run.

Apart from that, go for the best one of whatever model you choose. Cheap can be good sometimes but they aren't cheap to fix if something big breaks!

When you view any potential car, ask if there's anyone of here who'd be willing to come with you, someone who knows about that particular model or has maybe had one & knows what to look for. You can't beat someone with knowledge about the car :smthumbup
ill be sure to do that if someone doesnt mind looking with me,

as for looks they all look nice to me i dont want anything too old though, sure the evo 8,s are nice but i wasnt sure on the different versions, i wouldnt know what one is the best one to get shall we say, what does gsr mean? is it not as good a the fq varients? and what is the bhp on them or are there differnent gsr's? :eek:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
ill be sure to do that if someone doesnt mind looking with me,

as for looks they all look nice to me i dont want anything too old though, sure the evo 8,s are nice but i wasnt sure on the different versions, i wouldnt know what one is the best one to get shall we say, what does gsr mean? is it not as good a the fq varients? and what is the bhp on them are are there differnent gsr's? :eek:
You get 260's which are 260bhp with low lever spoiler, different interior, 5 speed box and oblong front regi.

Next up is the gsr - which is 280bhp, high spoiler, square reg on front and 6 speed box

Then there is the FQ models which are basically a gsr with certain parts replaced for more power.

Then MR and GT models which are different again - very confusing at the start but there are a few different buyers guides on here when you become a full member :)

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Gsr has SAYC, aircon etc. Iirc FQ models are all based on the GSR but have different bhp (all done inhouse by Mitsi UK)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
brilliant thanks so if i want a newer car the fq is the one to get preferably then or if a 6 floats my boat its the tommy mak, ill struggle to convince the missus on the tommy mak i think! i could spend a little more but ive set my self 11000 limit so id like to stick there really, ill do some searching on the fq's i presume a mr and gt are above my price range?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Have a look at the cars for sale on here, prices vary so much depending on age, mileage, condition and Mods.

With £11k, I would got for a nice sensibley modded EVO 6. That money will get you a good one with good service history and you will have money left over to insure and run the thing.

These things are not cheap to run so getting a good one is important and having a little bit of money set aside is a good idea.

·
acting daft since 1969
19,594 Posts
daveX where are you in the country ,there could be loads of lads around your patch that may give you a ride in there cars to help you choise

on the cash thing ,look higher, setting yourself a price of 11k is a nice thing to have even beter if its HARD CASH ,im sure a £12995 price tag could see you driving it away as HARD CASH talks MASSIVE ATM ,be cheeky as well they can only say no

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi, yes it is hard cash i couldnt decide wether to get an Evo or a e46 m3 but i think ive decided on an Evo as i think it will be more track friendly ;) im in essex, near braintree/colchester way.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I wanted a tme. :)

I had about 11k to spend too.

But then got offered a new job to went for a 9 MR 360 :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wanted a tme. :)

I had about 11k to spend too.

But then got offered a new job to went for a 9 MR 360 :)
nice, ive been looking on pistonheads most the night when ive eventually found one is it against the rules for me to provide a link to it and ask what people think?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
nice, ive been looking on pistonheads most the night when ive eventually found one is it against the rules for me to provide a link to it and ask what people think?
No mate, very common practise on here to post links to cars for sale.

A lot of knowledge on here from previous owners and people who may know the car also :smthumbup

1 - 20 of 25 Posts