Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Ap brakes at big money and asked my mate who owns a motorsport business to fit the brakes for me.

I found that the brakes after fitting were a complete nightmare. The brakes were juddering, grinding etc & told him a few times that they just werent right :(

When we looked at the brakes on Saturday, the calliper was hard on the disc obviously chewing the inside of each calliper & warping the discs after one week :(

One, what should I do ?
Two, who should be liable, if nayone :(

I don't want to fall out with him, he is a mate BUT, these cost me big money & it's not the first time I've had to put my hand in my pocket to repair something he broke.

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Has he made no offer to make things right (ie replace it or whatever?). Did he do the work for free?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure he charged me 3 hours labour mate.

But no, all he suggested is that he will send teh discs to AP, hoping they will exchange the discs.

He suggests that there wasn't enough shims for the bracket but I honestly don't know :(

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
If he's a real mate then tell him to stop being a **** and come up with the goods. I think AP will tell you where to go if you attempted to send them back in such a damaged condition - they've probably saw it a few times before and will upto speed with inexpertly fitted discs.

Also if your mate said there were not enough shims why did he fit them in the first place (rhetorical question I know :( ) ?

If you do send them back (as a first attempt before piling on the pressure with your mate), get him to send a covering letter under the official motorsport outfit letterhead with some ****'n'bull story to AP. It won't work but at least you have tried and then I think it should really be your mates responsibility to deal with it.

Thats what friends are for apparently. :(

·
Registered
39,091 Posts
Stewart

Ive just got my Ap brakes on Friday, My dad fitted them and ive had no troubles whatsoever.

Lisa

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
LGEVO said:
He did moan at me though saying they were hard to fit, Lol :D

Thats dads for you i could take the moaning as he does it for free, Lol :crackup:

Lisa
Lisa,

Can you ask him how many shims he used on each side of the bracket for the caliper pal ?

Did he have enough & what pads are you using?

I didn't have enough shims, allegedly, two on one side of the bolt, one on the other, so three all together and added more on Saturday. (that can' be good with the pressures working on thaqt bolt).

·
Registered
39,091 Posts
Evo Stuart said:
Brand new pads ;)
the 2 bolts that bolt on too the bells to the hub i had a 3mm washer, a shim and a 1mm washer as it shows you this in the drawing. I only used the small rugged washer for connecting the caliper to the bell.

There is a place called circuit supplies 01525 385 888 they do ap racing brakes and they sell hundreds of sets and a guy called tim and he knows the script with them.

I paid total inc del & vat £1429.98 for the 255 and the 362mm were the same price, the reason i didnt take 362 is that when you ever go to sell them on they need a 19" wheel on their car.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LGEVO said:
the 2 bolts that bolt on too the bells to the hub i had a 3mm washer, a shim and a 1mm washer as it shows you this in the drawing. I only used the small rugged washer for connecting the caliper to the bell.

There is a place called circuit supplies 01525 385 888 they do ap racing brakes and they sell hundreds of sets and a guy called tim and he knows the script with them.

I paid total inc del & vat £1429.98 for the 255 and the 362mm were the same price, the reason i didnt take 362 is that when you ever go to sell them on they need a 19" wheel on their car.
They are fitting under my 18's that I just bought ;)

The kit I was given is running about 5x 5mm shims :( :confused:
& a washer 3mm on the caliper side :confused:

·
Registered
39,091 Posts
Evo Stuart said:
They are fitting under my 18's that I just bought ;)

The kit I was given is running about 5x 5mm shims :( :confused:
& a washer 3mm on the caliper side :confused:
When you fit even standard discs and pads to any vehicle you always turn the wheel to make sure that isnt jamming or catching anything, obviously the mechanic hasnt done this as the wheel wouldnt turn by hand but would obv turn when driven.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
dont blame anyone else stuey :D did you get told on your lessons not to brake and accelerate at the same time.

seriously though any mechanic should know, especially with something as vital as brakes on a ~400bhp car, they need to be right. if he knowingly installed them without them being right then he's at fault.

make sure he stumps up and replaces them then get to a reputable mechanic, may i suggest duncan at hypertech 01324 812212. as next time it might be a worse consequence than warped discs

;)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LGEVO said:
When you fit even standard discs and pads to any vehicle you always turn the wheel to make sure that isnt jamming or catching anything, obviously the mechanic hasnt done this as the wheel wouldnt turn by hand but would obv turn when driven.
heinsite is a wonderful thing, I wish I hadn't let him anywhere near them....... I got a text suggesting there is nothing wrong with the calipers, e.g. he is not going to replace them or the discs :mad:
The calipers are worn on teh inside due to rubbing & the discs are warped- no even sure he will stick his hand in his pocket for them :mad:

I don't want to fall out, but I'm sick fed up of this & from the other side of the fence, if he were a true mate, he wouldn't teat me like this :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Stu thats bad, you must be gutted.......

As a wise Chineese shop keeper once said......You brake you BUY (with accent).

It would have to be a really good mate to value them more than the price of AP's, and if they were that good a mate they would replace them.

Good luck

·
Registered
39,091 Posts
Evo Stuart said:
heinsite is a wonderful thing, I wish I hadn't let him anywhere near them....... I got a text suggesting there is nothing wrong with the calipers, e.g. he is not going to replace them or the discs :mad:
The calipers are worn on teh inside due to rubbing & the discs are warped- no even sure he will stick his hand in his pocket for them :mad:

I don't want to fall out, but I'm sick fed up of this & from the other side of the fence, if he were a true mate, he wouldn't teat me like this :mad: :mad:
Thats just bad Stuart mate, Sorry to hear that, well my dad is on hand if you need any help just give me a shout and ill give you his number.

Lisa

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
LGEVO said:
my dad is on hand give me a shout and ill give you his number.

Lisa
i wouldnt, stuart is known for ''being the only one in the village'' if you know what i mean.

cam 6 would be very jealous :eek:

·
Registered
39,091 Posts
WULLIE said:
i wouldnt, stuart is known for ''being the only one in the village'' if you know what i mean.

cam 6 would be very jealous :eek:
Lol nice one, ill show him that, lol

·
Registered
637 Posts
stuart m8 you should know by now m8 !!! :confused: remember the hassle with the turbo ???? take it to some one that knows what their doing !!! fitting these aint rocket science but give a monkey a spanner and this is what happens .

why you nead big brakes any ways m8 ???

is it to stop you crashing into the back of me and wullie when we blitz past you ??? :crackup: :crackup:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
steven said:
stuart m8 you should know by now m8 !!! :confused: remember the hassle with the turbo ???? take it to some one that knows what their doing !!! fitting these aint rocket science but give a monkey a spanner and this is what happens .

why you nead big brakes any ways m8 ???

is it to stop you crashing into the back of me and wullie when we blitz past you ??? :crackup: :crackup:
You can Blitz past the 206 I'm puddle hoppinbg around in just now but chances of you even seeing me when I get my car back are slim. You pair have one chance, the square route of hee haw :D :moon:

It's nice to see the two lovers reunite :D :moon:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts