Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Are you stripping back to bare metal & treating? If so it would be the same colour as the underside was originally for me.

I'm not a fan of the black on the underside because some people (not implying this is your motivation whatsoever) use black to cover bad rust/damage etc.

I have a silver VII & did that. Back to metal, treated, silver Rust Bullet coats (which happened to be a very close match to the original underside) then Rust Bullet clear shot coats.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you stripping back to bare metal & treating? If so it would be the same colour as the underside was originally for me.

I'm not a fan of the black on the underside because some people (not implying this is your motivation whatsoever) use black to cover bad rust/damage etc.

I have a silver VII & did that. Back to metal, treated, silver Rust Bullet coats (which happened to be a very close match to the original underside) then Rust Bullet clear shot coats.
Yep that's what I'm doing. Bringing underside back to a clean metal and then phos b kleen it. To pull any remaining salt out of the metal.

Actually getting a guy to weld in new rear chassis legs for me. Legs aren't that bad just an odd wee hole, but looking down the rail from the back panel shows alot of flaking and it's only a matter of time, so getting it done right. This is my thoughts exactly.

That's why I'm hesitant of going black. Especially a 7 people would be more skeptical of rot. Grey was the original coating on the car and I was thinking of going for grey again.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
The Rust Bullet is "good" but not great. If you do go with it, get the marine mix & not the automotive. Their clearshot is very good. My VII was my daily up until June this year so was used in all weather including snow & ice.

Not sure if I put up a thread on my underside refresh (did it myself) - will have a look and if not will put one up.

I did it at the wrong time of year (for the facility I had) started end of November 2020 and it took me 6 months - I work full time - and the car sat on a lift for 3 weeks over Christmas so I had to re-strip surface rust & treat it after Christmas. There was a lot of moisture in the air in that facility & temps were sub-zero.

There are better products - you'll find them in threads on here.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Rust Bullet is "good" but not great. If you do go with it, get the marine mix & not the automotive. Their clearshot is very good. My VII was my daily up until June this year so was used in all weather including snow & ice.

Not sure if I put up a thread on my underside refresh (did it myself) - will have a look and if not will put one up.

I did it at the wrong time of year (for the facility I had) started end of November 2020 and it took me 6 months - I work full time - and the car sat on a lift for 3 weeks over Christmas so I had to re-strip surface rust & treat it after Christmas. There was a lot of moisture in the air in that facility & temps were sub-zero.

There are better products - you'll find them in threads on here.
Cheers for the advice mate. I'll have a look around maybe get a good deal now on black Friday.

I know what you mean. Working in a damp shed is far from ideal and really isn't good for spraying.

·
Premium Member
Evo8 260 2004
2,407 Posts
That looks unreal mate. Did you do alot of that yourself? Alot of money spent to get it looking like that. Did you sand blast or wire wheel down the underbody?
It’s at bespoke automotive in Thirsk mate. Haven’t got time to do it myself. It was blasted. Cost isn’t as bad as you think, depends what needs doing. Mine was a bit more as the wheel bearings collapsed when being pushed out to coat the hubs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts