Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the 260 yesterday evening and I must say--WHAT A CAR!
It just seems so much quicker than the M3!
Only fault is an annoying rattle from the nearside dash which drives me mad--has anyone else got the rattly dash syndrome?
The radio seems really complicated as well!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The glovebox lid on my VIII used to rattle. I put a couple of small(~7mm dia) round self adhesive rubber feet on the surface of the dash against which the glovebox lid closes, toward the top corners. Since I did that - no rattle.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Glad you're enjoying the car - is the nearside the passenger side? If it is then yes, since day 1 I've had a rattle there. I've prodded and poked as I've been going along and can't get it to stop (not without wandering across too many lanes) and I keep forgetting to get a passenger to try and id it when they are in.

Clearly the dash isn't the stongest point of the car, general prodding of it when parked up to try and locate any loose trim results in more creeks than Alan Davies. Anyway, I've learned to live with it (turned the CD up!) rather than risk the dealer pulling it apart and making it worse (which may be doing them a dis-service just scepticle on things like this).

Maybe a screw driver and some gentle loosening and/or then tightening might help but I don't really want to pull too much apart - I think a couple of screws might be located behind the glove box, keep meaning to tighten or check them, although if i drive with the glove box open it doesn't sound louder I think its closer to the screen than that...

Stereo wise, I agree - it's kinda complicated although I soon got used to the main buttons needed, that said I replaced it for a slightly less fiddly/complicated Clarion (couldn't take the stick from my mates who reckoned the std. unit is too chav for the Evo! Although they reckon the Evo is chav so what do they know....)

Anyway, keep enjoying it - when you are run in and go for a blast on some country lanes the rattle on the dash will not feel so bad!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well this is what I dont understand! When I picked the car up yesterday the dealer told me the engine was bench run in so 'give it stick from the off'
The way I look at it its got 3 years warranty so why should i worry- lol
By the way, the dealer told me there was no water spray on the 260, so what is the button for on the centre console?
Please enlighten me.!

My mate is coming out with me lunchtime to try to locate the rattle--its driving me mad!

·
Registered
223 Posts
mmm interesting. I was told to strickly adhere to the running-in details laid out in the sheet included with the handbook (I noticed that the actual handbook run in details are a lot less prescriptive than the Ralliart add-in leaflet which covers detailed engine run in as well as the brakes running in procedure.

Not sure on the waterspray - I've got the button and the water resovoir under the bonnet (which is full of water!) for it so I can't see them adding both those but not 'switching it on'.... But then again I think for the UK it might be a bit of a gimmick anyway, I wish the temperatures were that hot....

Oh, just remembered the Jap Perf magazine article about WRC Tech tuning the 260. It said they re-program the temperature at which the water spray is activated (lower it) so that it is more useful in the UK and for higher tuned motors... so I guess it was present on their test 260.

Who's your dealer out of interest, kinda worrying if this is information they are giving and it isn't accurate? But then again they may know more than everyone else (as a dealer you would hope they know their products)

·
Registered
217 Posts
mine does have the waterspray, wrc tech also have a relocation kit on a 260 they used to tune it. Should defiantly have one in my opinion.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The head unit and the standard speakers are really, really poor.

I'm big on ICE but I still had to read the manual to suss out some quite basic functions!

There are some interesting articles in the relevant section on this site.

As it had a fault (can't think how that happened) my dealer agreed to take mine back in and credit against servicing.

I have a great system now which cost about £600 for the headunit and the four speakers (6 including the tweeters!)

·
Registered
298 Posts
The water spray definately works on mine. Park up in dry spot- give the button a decent push then look at the front of the car- voila- water on the intercooler and dripping onto the floor.
Agree about the head unit- took me a week to get it out of "demo mode" :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
RE: the water spray - when I go between auto and manual setting should I see a light or anything? just wonder how I know it's back into auto.... I'm sure it tells me in the manual but now I'm a paid up member my posting limit has gone!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Of course there's water spray for the intercooler! a knowledgeable salesman u had there :blah:

For a standard fit i dont think the Kenwood unit is too bad, altho it wouldn't be my choice if i were buying an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
223 Posts
mmm interesting.... no green light and no water on the drive if I push the manual button (can't hear any motor working either). Tried with the ignition on and with the engine running, no different. Checked the fuse and that seems ok... heading under the bonnet for a quick check for loose connections on the water spray bottle/container.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You should indeed see a green light appear in the dash when you switch the water spray to 'auto'.

Mine works fine, not that I can really find a reason to use it.

I also have the odd rattle noise coming from the passenger side. It only started the other day infact. It seems to be coming from the strip of platic between the base of the window and the door. It also seems to stop if i press it down and hold it, but its very hard to drive like that. Need to enlist the help of a passenger I think.

Apart from that, I have no other rattles at all - that was my main worry with a Japanese car. Saying that, I'm very picky and can only hear the tinny rattle if the radio is off and I concentrate on hearing the noise.

If anyone manages to properly trace this odd rattle, please drop us a note.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
cooler ok on mine stereo ok but i dont worry to much about the music its the sound of the car i want to hear,only rattle i get is avery occasional suspension knock left front , nature of the beast

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wish I realised this before the service... only went in a week or two ago, could have got them to sort it then. At least it'll be due another service berfore (if) the summer gets here!

Might investigate the switch if it's easy to get underneath it, didn't get very far with the bottle itself under the bonnet, the wiring is all under it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Agree water spray should definately be working- question is is there ever a need to use it day-to-day or just useful on trackdays. Seems strange to me that the car doesn`t default to being on auto setting, why would you not want it on if it`s needed? Does any harm come if you don`t use it when your supposed to?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
If it's anything like my V my water spray button wasn't even connected :)

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
only rattle i get is avery occasional suspension knock left front , nature of the beast
Stevo I got that too from my left front! u got any ideas as i've had a good poke around and all seems well? :confused:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Same on mine too - I put it down to the spring moving slightly in its location on the strut under high compression or extension. Seems to settle down on mine once its done it after a day or so.... that said, touch wood, I've not had the clonk for some time now (and I did enjoy a blast around on Sunday which would normally generate the noise, especially trying to get some 'air' over the more bumpy sections of round, not really but I was pushing on!).

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Mine is very occasional but usually at low speeds over very bumpy bits, that being most of the UK! :rolleyes: and always on the left hand-side.

You're right tho it is a definate "clonk"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts