Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My waterspray bottle is nearly empty,what fluid should you put in,Is it just water or should a little antifreeze be mixed in?
Also I would like to know how other people operate it.Should you press and hold or press it lots of times.I have not had any experiance with a system like this before so I need a little help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I usually put pure water (as the one you put in batteries, without minerals), so there is no problems with the pump and ths system, but no antifreeze (anyway, you don't really use it when it's cold outside, do you?). I make it work when driving in town to help cooling the engine, and for performance when I accelerate hard (helps cooling the air in the intercooler). I let it turn for a couple of seconds at a time, but not more as it could damage the pump.

Cheers

Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Add windscreen washer fluid as this will prevent freezing in cold weather but DEFINITELY don't put antifreeze in it.
To be honest the amount off water that seems to come out of mine it doesn't seem worth it. Does blocking the radiator nozzles help as someone suggested?
Anyway are you still using it in this weather? (I assume you are in the UK?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not using the waterspray at the mo,I have only had the car a month and was just wondering what is best to use.
I did try it once to see if I could notice anything but it felt the same.
Should you press the button before you put your foot down or while you are in mid acceleration?I had to get my mate to press it to stop me from crashing.............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the last service my friendly Mitsi dealer topped up the waterspray and added what looked very much like antifreeze (fluid is now darkish blue - looks like antifreeze but would not rule out washer fluid if it comes in that colour). What's the problem if it is antifreeze? If the water had frozen on the waterspray tank that could have caused more probs - and it was cold enough to freeze just after Christmas.

Better to know before I call and ask what the hell they did put in.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Antifreeze wud leave a messy residue after the water evaporated , a sort of slippery film that is quite unpleasant, wind screen wash solution is good.
The improvement in boost the intercooler water spray creates will be less and less noticable as the ambient air temperature falls. When the air temp is higher in summer ( !! ) and the induction system has heated up in traffic , the effect of the water spray is quite noticable , typically it will be perceived as sharper throttle response. Basically when u are about to reach open roads and cane it give the spray a good long hit , around 5-10 secs . The cooling effect is caused by the water evaporating off the intercooler core , so the more water present on the core the more the degree of cooling.

Full boost for now!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Water with no additives should be used. I would suggest that if the weather is such that your water is freezing, you do not need to use the spray all that much anyway.
5-10 second bursts at a time should do the trick if warm.
Anytime is a good time, but if your planning a quick start, give it a good burst before you take off.
I think there is enough water for about 35 seconds of use (Evo6) - I empty mine in about 20 minutes of driving when it's hot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that water with no additives would be ideal but you would be extremely stupid not to put something in it to prevent it freezing in this weather. Windscreen washer fluid is idea as it will not damage any bodywork unlike some antifreeze mixtures can.
If you really want 'extra' performance and its a hot day then I suggest you throw a bucket of water over the intercooler before you go for a drive. It would do more good than the piddlely little bit of water that comes out of the spray and it would last longer. http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
I've got a button on my dash that says 'Rocket Fuel Injection' do you think that works aswell? [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

In case you saw Clarksons Car Years...he was right!

btw Mitsubishi washer fluid is blue.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the E5 the sprayer shares a bottle with the windshield washer. It comes from Japan filled with washer fluid. I have kept mine filled with same as it keeps the lines clean and resists calcification of the nozzles. I would think washer fluid most appropriate in a climate where freezing is a concern.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
35 degrees today, expected 39 tomorrow ! Hot in Melbourne, Australia. Spray me, not the 'cooler !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anti-freeze will make a lovely job of paint when it drips down onto the valence, washer fluid all the way me thinks.................

1 - 11 of 11 Posts